[rec.audio.high-end] DAT contender/Carver vs. the dB

jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu (James Hess) (01/14/91)

In article <8858@uwm.edu> Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:

>Carver's bit in the last issue were interesting, but I can't help but feel
>that he makes too much of how much energy is represented by a 1 dB change.

>misses the point, it seems to me.  True, frequency response can affect the
>perception of depth, but I haven't experience having a cheap component turned
>into a great one by means of equalization yet.
Most equalizers do not have sufficient control to correct the problems Bob
mentioned -- their response bands are too broad, at fixed frequency and Q,
affect phase, and consequently induce new distortions for every one they
correct.  He has an interesting thesis, and some evidence to back it up.  I'm
still waiting for a properly controlled, statistically significant study which
shows that people can hear the difference between amps even without identical
frequency response as measured at the speaker terminals -- anybody out there
have a reference for me?

Jim Hess

bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) (01/16/91)

In article <8918@uwm.edu> grechen@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Grechen Darling) writes:
>I'm curious.. you mentioned  Phillip's plans for a player that
>could handle both the analogue and digital formats. what would the
>cassette format be, or would it handle regular analogue cassettes
>and an 8mm sized digital cassette? I am under the impression that
>digital recording will move in the direction of an 8mm format
>so that music, video, and computer data will use the same media
>and possibly be funcionally interchangable.

The digital cassette looks larger than the standard cassette from what I
could tell.  There was an interview with a Phillips spokesman from the
winter CES on CNN the other night.

The DCC (digital compact cassette) does NOT use a case.  It is a complete
unit, and the artwork, etc are printed on it.  The spindle holes do not go
through the cassettes. (not needed as it doesn't turn over).

>From seeing the video of the cassette, I got the impression (it may be a
wrong impression) that the unit will play both, but that the cassettes are
not the same size.  Sort of like the VHS players that will take a C size
vhs cassette without an adaptor.

They said 18 months before it's on the market.

As to moving to the same media and being interchangeable, the current DAT
is 4 mm.  The DCC is about that width (not sure of exact specs.)

There is no reason to have interchangeable media until the video goes from
analog to digital.  Otherwise you are putting more expensive media in a
video than you need.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

david@agora.rain.com (David Robinson) (01/21/91)

Bob Carver has just sent in a follow up column to his last one that I
posted here recently.  It will be appearing in the Vol. 2, #1 issue of
POSITIVE FEEDBACK shortly.  I'll post it here on rah-e via tjk within
the next week or so.

BTW:  Pacific NW audiophiles:  The Oregon Triode Society is having its
"first annual swap meet" (optimist!) here in Portland on Friday night,
February 1, starting at 7:30 p.m.  The site is:

Portland Christian High School
12456 N.E. Brazee
Portland, OR

Call me at 503-235-4356 (evenings) for more details, if you'd like to
attend, or rent a table for a display ($5.00/table).

Sorry for the abrupt change of subject...this just looked like a good
opportunity to post the announcement!   ;-)

david@agora.rain.com

--
My opinions belong to me...and vice versa.  They're not copyrighted;
third party thinkers should feel free to clone them at will.