[rec.audio.high-end] Dealers

sridhar@uunet.UU.NET (02/06/91)

In article <9323@uwm.edu>, ST801804@brownvm.brown.edu writes:

> I am not sure if comments about dealers of high-end audio fall within
> this category. However, I am a Providence person interested in audio,
> and I am outraged with the service of my dealer.  I am not sure if I
> should mention anynames, but if anyone wants to know I'd love to tell
> everyone not to see him at all.
>
> My question though is, what to do when a dealer treats you like crap? My
> first idea is to write letters to all equipment manufacturers who allow
> him to sell the equipment.  Is that reasonable?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

In my view, the biggest problem in high end audio is the lack of good
dealers. 99% of the dealers I have encountered are incompetent,
ignorant, and arrogant. They always trash brands they do not carry, and
gloat about the ones they do carry. I have rarely seen a sound room in a
store that is set up correctly. It is either loaded with speakers and
components, or -- this is the other extreme -- has just one mega-buck
system in a huge room which is damped like a studio.  Auditioning
equipment in a store is a complete waste of time. You have no idea how
it will sound like in your house.

The other big problem with dealers has to do with service, once they
have convinced (suckered?) you into buying something they carry. They
never help you set up the component in your house (absolutely crucial
with speakers or turntables -- a well set up $500 speaker or turntable
will sound better than a poorly set up $5000 equivalent).

The most important service that high end magazines can provide its
readers is to have a list of recommended dealers. Such a list is far
more useful than a list of recommended components or a list of
recommended recordings. Most of my friends are turned off from high end
audio because of the sheer hassle of buying something, and by the
incredible degree of hype from dealers.

- Sridhar