[rec.audio.high-end] Question about Multi-Play CD players

jls@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Showalter) (02/08/91)

Sigh. The eternal battle of sound quality vs convenience. I want very
much to find a CD player that both sounds very good and has a carousel
for more than 1 CD at a time. (I hold parties in which the participants
are often rather indisposed when the CD is over.) I've heard that both
Denon and Sony claim to make such units, but ad copy is just ad copy.

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (02/11/91)

In article <9417@uwm.edu> igor!yoda!jls@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Showalter) writes:

>Sigh. The eternal battle of sound quality vs convenience. I want very
>much to find a CD player that both sounds very good and has a carousel
>for more than 1 CD at a time. (I hold parties in which the participants
>are often rather indisposed when the CD is over.) I've heard that both
>Denon and Sony claim to make such units, but ad copy is just ad copy.

Well I've had a Sony CDP-500 for over a year now with no problems and a fair
bit of use. I beleive it's been replaced with a CDP-705 (or something like
that). A friend of mine recently puchased the ES (Sony's 'audiophile' series)
version of this and he is very happy with it as well. Some of the nice features
(at least the one's that sold me) are Custom File which is the ability to save
a program for a disk in memory along with a 10 character alphanumeric display
for upto 227 disks (not quite there yet). The 705 also allows you to save
volume settings with each song as well!!! This was the main reason I bought the
Sony as I only need enter a program once for a CD and never worry about it
again. Apart from that it's got all your usual feautures. Single/Multi Play,
Shuffle, Single/Multi Programmed Play, Fader, various time displays and the
705 has volume control as well. I believe that all the new versions of these
players are using some form single bit MASH technology. Personnally I can't
tell the difference sound wise (comments?). All in all very happy with this
beast.

Bob