[rec.audio.high-end] How to build interconnects

peter%versatc.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter Tapscott ) (02/28/91)

Michael from Florida wrote to ask how to build twisted pair
shielded interconnects.  Since this might be of general
interest, a posting seems be appripriate.

The cable has three conductors:
	signal
	signal return
	shield

Connect the signal to the center pin of the RCA
plugs.

Connect the signal return to the shell of the RCA
plugs.

Connect the shield to the shell of the RCA jack at
the device receiveing the signal (preamp if this is
a interconnect to a CD, amp if this is a preamp-amp
interconnect.

Insulate the shield near the other end of the cable.
Use RTV (room-termperature-vulcanizing rubber) or shrink
tubing or whatever.

If you want to prevent those dastardly oxygen atoms from
attacking your oxygen-free copper, coat the connections
in the plugs with RTV.  Might help in humid climates also.

Someone will ask about cable and connectors.  Old
Colony has some Magami cable, but there are a lot of
other cables that would work fine.  Standard microphones
that use XLR connectors need this type of cable, so a
pro-sound place (musical instruments, amps, etc) might
be a good source for reasonable prices on good cable.
(high-enders: please post if you find good cable.)

I bought my cable in Akihabara (Electronics City) in
Tokyo.  Besides all the mid-fi vendors, there is a flea
market arrangement under the train tracks that sells
all manner of small parts.  They have at least 6 types of
high-end RCA plugs, and cable is available by the foot.
I bought Hitachi cable because I wanted two conductor
plus shield, but they have all types, even European.
Some are coax, some are 2-cond + shield.
| peter@versatc.VERSATEC.COM     -OR-    {ames|apple|sun}!versatc!peter|
| Peter Tapscott - Xerox Engineering Systems, Versatec Products        |
| 2805 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, Calif                 (408)982-4235 |

rbars@hila.hut.fi (Rainer B{rs) (03/04/91)

In article <9812@uwm.edu> peter%versatc.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter Tapscott ) writes:
>Michael from Florida wrote to ask how to build twisted pair
>shielded interconnects.  Since this might be of general
>interest, a posting seems be appripriate.
>
>The cable has three conductors:
>	signal
>	signal return
>	shield

** deleted lines ***

>Connect the shield to the shell of the RCA jack at
>the device receiveing the signal (preamp if this is
>a interconnect to a CD, amp if this is a preamp-amp
>interconnect.

** rest deleted **

Hi net!

I might be wrong, but I have read, that the shield should be grounded
in the end that has a lower impedance. Usually, I think, it is the
signal-feeding end of the equipment. The reason for this I do not know,
but maybe someone else does? This should be straightforward grounding
techniques without any mysteries.

And a question, which possible should be somewhere else:
Could somebody tell me what the impedance rating in coaxial cables in
theory and practice means, and how is it calculated?

The views expressed are my only, and that is a d****d shame.

Rainer B{rs
Helsinki University of Technology
Laboratory of Engineering Geology and Geophysics

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (03/04/91)

In article <9812@uwm.edu> peter%versatc.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter Tapscott ) writes:

>Someone will ask about cable and connectors.  Old
>Colony has some Magami cable, but there are a lot of
>other cables that would work fine.  Standard microphones
>that use XLR connectors need this type of cable, so a
>pro-sound place (musical instruments, amps, etc) might
>be a good source for reasonable prices on good cable.
>(high-enders: please post if you find good cable.)

	I work in the pro sound industry, and have found the Canari Star-Quad
cable to make an audible difference when used as microphone cable. I'd highly
recommend trying it. It uses paired conductors for the 2 signal carrying wires
and has a niced braided sheild. I recently built 2 24 channel snakes for a
local PA company, and the system (Turbo Sound TMS4 and 24" Sub bins) sounded
much better than with the previous Belden snakes. Of course a 24 channel
Star_Quad snake is about twice the diameter of a normal snake, but thats
not relevant to this discussion.
	Star-Quad also has the added feature of "laying" very nicely, where
Magami is much stiffer. Overall, very nice cable.
	I have no financial involvemnet with Canari, and recommend it merely
as a satisfied user.

	John Henders
	Vancouver,B.C.