[rec.audio.high-end] High Sensitivity FM Tuners

jat@mitre.org (Jim Teunas) (02/25/91)

I am looking to buy a Tuner....I live about 60 miles outside of Boston
in the hills of New Hampshire so i have both the problem of
many stations on top of each other and a low signal level...
I like to listen to some low power stations ( college stations etc)
so that is another requirement.. I am considering the
Onyko (?) 9090 II and the Carver TX 11b..  both mail order for
around ~$600.

Any one have any comments on these two or other recomendations????
Also any recomendations for an antenna to use with it?????

Thank You!

Jim Teunas
Email: jat@mbunix.mitre.org
Twisted Pair: (617) 271 - 6489

Why does everything seem to be NP-Complete?

tao@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Sammy Tao) (03/06/91)

In article <9746@uwm.edu>, jat@mitre.org (Jim Teunas) writes:
> I am looking to buy a Tuner....I live about 60 miles outside of Boston
> in the hills of New Hampshire so i have both the problem of
> many stations on top of each other and a low signal level...
> I like to listen to some low power stations ( college stations etc)
> so that is another requirement.. I am considering the
> Onyko (?) 9090 II and the Carver TX 11b..  both mail order for
> around ~$600.

Have you looked at tuners from Magnum-Dynalab?  It sounds nice and is
sensitive, too.  (Sounds like a bad blind-date description, eh?)  The
FT-11 probably runs around $600 and the FT101A is around $800.  I had
a Carver TX11 for a week, but a guy I knew broke down and sold me his
M-D 101.  The Carver was a good tuner by itself, but the "Asymmetrical
Charged Coupled Detector" and "Multipath Reduction" had the effect of
variable high-blend.  It wasn't discreet, either; it sounded blatantly
converging toward mono.  When the signal got really weak, sometimes I
could have something listenable with both ckts switched in the Carver,
but I couldn't with the MD in mono.

With normal strength signals and all settings the same on both tuners,
I had trouble distinguishing the two apart.  Bear in mind that I was
using either a 2' wire or the power cord as the antenna, though.

Sammy

P.S. I heard that MD's Signal Sleuth is a pretty awesome booster for
weak signals.  Also, an engineer at MD told me, "Basically, the worse the
signal quality, the better the Sleuth can do.  If you have decent
signals (i.e. strong, no multipath), it may not have a dramatic effect."

   |Sammy Tao, Dept of ECE    |email: Sammy.Tao@speech1.cs.cmu.edu| ^G  if |
   |Carnegie Mellon University|NeXT mail: tao@fechner.cs.cmu.edu  | I'm an |
   |Pittsburgh, PA  15213     |"A straight mentirosa..."          | Aggie! |

sundinKC@dna.lth.se (Anders Sundin) (03/08/91)

In article <9746@uwm.edu>, jat@mitre.org (Jim Teunas) writes:
> I am looking to buy a Tuner....I live about 60 miles outside of Boston
> in the hills of New Hampshire so i have both the problem of
> many stations on top of each other and a low signal level...
> I like to listen to some low power stations ( college stations etc)
> so that is another requirement.. I am considering the
> Onyko (?) 9090 II and the Carver TX 11b..  both mail order for
> around ~$600.

My recommendation is a Yamaha TX-930. It has specs (independently tested) as
good as or better than anything on the market, including the very good Onkyo you
mention. It also has a remote (very nice on a tuner IMO) and two separate
antenna inputs. Furthermore it is quite a bit cheaper (example: 339 $ at New
York Wholesale) than the tuners you mention or Yamahas top-of-the line TX2000
(also _very_ good).

IMHO the Yamaha TX-930 is about as good as any tuner in existance, and capable
of VASTLY better performance than what is usually transmitted in the first
place.

The problems you allude to will not go away by buying a more expensive tuner, the way to go is to see to that the tuner gets a good signal to start with. With
this class of tuners, I don't think I'm being very controversial if I claim
that they are signal limited.

The two antenna inputs come in handy here. The most simple setup is to attach a
dipole to each input, mounted perpendicular to each other. Switch between the
antennas to get the signal which has the best combination of signal strength and
lack of interference.

The optimum might be to have two outdoor antennas, one omnidirectional, and
another highly directional/high gain antenna mounted on a rotor. Then you could
use the omnidirectional to scan the programming, and when you have decided what
you want to listen to, you could switch to the directional antenna and, if
necessary, redirect it to an optimal orientation.

Given that the TX-930 saves you almost 300$ you could easily afford this setup,
and still stay within budget.

                                          Jonas

I'm posting this from the account of a friend.
Please direct any E-mail to:
OK3JONAS@SELDC52.BITNET
ok3jonas@gemini.ldc.se
--
 Anders Sundin                       e-mail: sundinKC@dna.lth.se
 Organic Chemistry 2,                        ok2aps@seldc52.bitnet

wlm@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Moran) (03/08/91)

I am also looking for a tuner, and my dealer loaned me both the Magnum
Dynalab (11) and a tuner made by folks called Musical Fidelity (T1).
Apparently they are a well known UK firm who have just started importing
their equipment into the US recently (since the start of 91). My dealer
was raving about this tuner claiming that it sounded much more musical
than any other tuner for less than $2k. I have both hooked up to
a Terk Pi^2, and they both sound very good. I would have to agree that
the Musical Fidelity sounds better. It's very strange, but the Magnum
Dynalab is also much louder. I wouldn't say that either is amazing at
getting weak stations, although both are excellent; I've been sort of
surprised that sometimes one will get a particular station much better.
Anyway, it might be worth the time to listen to the Musical Fidelity;
for what it's worth, I'm not sure that either is worth $500+. I had
a friend look, and in the UK, the Musical Fidelity costs L249 which
given the way prices usually work would make its list about $500 rather
than $600.

Bill Moran