[rec.audio.high-end] Reasonable discount on high-end components

jwd@cs.brown.edu (James W. Durkin) (03/01/91)

When purchasing a complete high-end system (amp, pre-amp, speakers, source,
and cables) in the $5K-10K range from a single dealer, what is a reasonable
discount from list price to expect?  I'm not out to trim every last possible
penny from the price (I would like to maintain a good relationship with the
dealer), but neither am I into spending significantly more than I have to.
I know that the margin is different from product to product.  I'm just
looking for a good rule of thumb.

Mail is welcome, but the subject might be of interest to others.

ih8rlf0p@serss0.fiu.edu (jim stafford) (03/07/91)

In article <9839@uwm.edu> jwd@cs.brown.edu (James W. Durkin) writes:

>When purchasing a complete high-end system (amp, pre-amp, speakers, source,
>and cables) in the $5K-10K range from a single dealer, what is a reasonable
>discount from list price to expect?  I'm not out to trim every last possible
>penny from the price (I would like to maintain a good relationship with the
>dealer), but neither am I into spending significantly more than I have to.
>I know that the margin is different from product to product.  I'm just
>looking for a good rule of thumb.
>
>Mail is welcome, but the subject might be of interest to others.
>
>>> James Durkin (jwd@cs.brown.edu)

This is the first time I have logged into this group, but couldn't resist
making an attempt to help you out.

I was the service mgr. at a very highly regarded high end dealer for about
8 years (Sound Components in Miami).  I could write a book, but I'll try to
keep it a bit shorter than that.  Please e-mail if you want further gory
details.

The price structure (mark-up) on most high-end audio is: electronics 40pts,
speakers 40pts (some 50), cables 50+pts, and such things as cartridges have no
discernable pattern (I remember Grado cartridges that cost about $9 and sold
for over $80, but most are around 50pts).  By points, I mean:

    retail * ( points/100 ) = dealer cost

In general, the only thing that is lower than 40 is video and other mass
marketed stuff.

Discount? It depends on the dealer.  A true hifi boutique doesn't (at least in
theory) discount.  They claim that they provide such a high degree of service
and expertise, with such limited quantities, that it isn't possible.  Other
stores, usually large chain stores with a high end "section" can afford to
come down more.  Products with very exclusive distributions (ie Levinson,
Goldmund, etc.) are less likely to be discounted.

The best way to get a discount is to play their game. Many stores have strict
policies about who gets an audition.  If they ask "Are you ready to make a
decision today?" say yes.  Even if you're not quite ready, you can easily find
some fault that allows you to delay any decision.  If they can put together a
good sound (with your recordings!) tell them you're very interested but...

Make sure that what they want to sell you is *exactly* what you listened to.
This is a common misrepresentation, especially with cables and phono arms &
cartridges.  If you're considering a phono front end, be very careful, since
the art of setting up a turntable is becoming a lost one.

In general, you need to tell them that you're interested, but found the upper
brass a trifle opaque (uh-huh) and that you're going down to Joe's Hifi to
hear the Dominator X-1's...which you may want to do, and run a similar "game"
with them.  I realize that this is starting to sound worse than buying a new
car, but this is what worked, at least in the store I worked in.  Make 'em
wait!  Depending on many variables, you be able to get 10-12% off retail.
You may be able to save a bit more by installing the system yourself.

If you do find the system you want at a good price, it's now time to become
very picky.  When pushed on price, the salesman may want to slide a store
demo by you.  If they attempt to give you a piece of equipment (inc. cables)
that is not in a sealed box, just say no.  The exception to this is a turn-
table, but once again make sure that it's not the one that was sitting on the
shelf.  Also, make sure they give you the latest version of anything unless
other arrangements have been made.

Actually, a demo may be a good way to save some $$. An amp has the best chance
of standing up to store abuse (no moving parts).  Never buy a used CD player!

I hope I didn't scare you away from buying a hifi, but you can never be to
careful when dealing with salesmen.

good luck!
Jim Stafford

Mike.Reaper@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mike Reaper) (03/11/91)

   just re-affirm dealers are damn leeches.

   A 50% markup is standard practice.  The best way to cut this is
   not to shop around store to store, working one guy against the
   other, but instead to find a good place and stick to it.  Get to
   know the manager, or, better yet, the owner.  Working with one
   company over time does so much more good for you both than the
   endless searching & price grubbing common in new-car shopping.

/mr

--

        Mike Reaper, Mike.Reaper@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway