[rec.audio.high-end] Assumed Value

eugene@ksr.com (Eugene Yi-jen Pan) (03/14/91)

In article <10155@uwm.edu> UCHUCK%UNC.BITNET@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (Chuck Bennett (919)966-1134) writes:

> Back to the point.  I would hope that one would realize a larger
> discount than 10%-12% when buying $10K worth of equipment, maybe not.  I
> get a 10% discount on ANYTHING, even a $16 record, at the store where I
> shop, here in NC.  If I bought $10K worth I would expect 20%-30% off.
>
> Chuck

Not to condemn you or anything, but why should one expect to receive a
larger discount for a more costly item?  Also why do you expect to
receive a discount on a product at all?  Is it just a marketing ploy
to deceive the customers or what?  Have a high retail price, and then
make the customer feel special by giving him/her a discount?

It's like the car manufactures giving out rebates instead of just
lowering the price of the car.  One company tried to lower the sticker
price and to get out of the rebate wars, but it didn't work well.

Also, why is it human nature to believe that we are getting a good
deal if an item was once priced at $10,000 and now is reduced to
$3000. However, if that same item had originally hit the market at
$3000, we would have probably wanted a discount from that price. Maybe
it is a real concrete phenomena in human psychology.  Who knows?

I am not saying that everyone shouldn't try to get the lowest price on
an item, but it seems weird how we think.

I have heard where items were priced too low and so everyone thought
that they were worthless, but once they increased the price, people
began to think that they were "valuable".  Speaker wire is a good
example here.  (Hopefully, I don't have to include a smiley).

Enough rambling.

--

eugene@ksr.com			uunet!eugene
ksr!eugene@uunet.uu.net		att!ksr.com!eugene