[rec.audio.high-end] dealers and markups...

Arthur_Noguerola%es.UUCP@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (03/14/91)

Yes there are many dealers (NO I am not one nor have I ever been one)
who probably are sleazy con-artists. They dispense poor and useless
advice and onoy want to move the brand or unit of the week. But have
any of you ever considered that a few dealers may actually be trying
to make a living and enjoying their favorite hobby. That maybe these
dealers (sleazy or not) have business expenses like salaries,rent,
advertising,stock/inventory costs,etc. That maybe they don't sell
10,000 Jadis amp/pre-amp combos a month and reap enough profit to
pay the S&L bailout bill. That maybe all the folks (many of ourselves
by the articles here in) who hang out at the audio emporiums and
take up a dealers time only to tell the dealer they better beat someone
else's price costs not only the dealers time but money since the
two may be equated??? Some said here recently that maybe the best
idea is to find a good dealer (read 'dealer you are happy with') and
cultivate that relationship. You will win more in the end.

I would seem that so many folks here want the equipment, want the dealers
time then a discount and then after a time its off to the races again.
Off to the next piece of gear and the cycle starts again. How many of you
pass the used equipment on to friends or others with an equivalent
discount to the one you wanted so much from the original dealer???
Lets be honest here folks. Do you sell your used equipment at 40% off
what you paid for it? Especially after you got your (hopefully) 40% off
from the dealer? I don't think so. Do you haggle over every item you
buy for normal daily activities or is this only bandwagon to ride on.
Try haggling for those expensive meals you have. Hey get the damn
record and CD companies to lower their profit margins. Now we talking
rip-offs artists.

Find a good honest, knowledgable dealer and cultivate them, bring a friend.
Don't make haggling or nickle and diming the hobby here. If you can afford
to buy a $5k piece of gear be thankful for that.

chowkwan@priam.usc.edu (Raymond Chowkwanyun) (03/15/91)

In article <10206@uwm.edu> Arthur_Noguerola%es.UUCP@lectroid.sw.stratus.com writes:

>I would seem that so many folks here want the equipment, want the dealers
>time then a discount and then after a time its off to the races again.

I follow the rule that if a dealer demos something to me, then
I'll buy that piece from him, if I decide to buy.

True, the dealer has overhead and has to eat.  But speaking of
overhead, it surely takes less overhead to sell an entire system
than to sell the individual components item by item.  The original
post was asking about such a discount.  Then the discussion got
diverted into discounts on individual items.

My dealer spent a total of two hours demoing to me.  I bought
a complete amp system and he agreed to absorb the sales tax.
I think that worked out for both sides.  BTW it helps when
you're negotiating for a discount to say something like,
"I know you've got overhead to absorb and you've got to eat,
but it surely costs less to sell a whole system than individual
components".

I know of two excellent high end dealers in the LA area.
I'm not sure if it's nettiquette to post their names and
addresses.  I will gladly respond to email enquiries.
These people have dedicated listening rooms.  When they
demo a speaker, it will not be standing amongst a forest
of other speakers.  You can make an appointment, block out
a chunk of time, and have the room to yourself.

Arthur's advice about bring a friend to the demo is very
good.  No matter how excellent the dealer is, he's still
a salesman.  In fact, the more committed he is to good
sound, the more passionate he will be about the lines he
carries.  I have no problem with that.  If he doesn't believe
in his stuff, who will?  But it's really useful to have an
independent third party as a reality check.

-- ray