From: sethb@Morgan.COM (Seth Breidbart)
        dat-heads@fuggles.acc.virginia.edu
Subject: Apogee outboard A/D converter

I called Apogee and they faxed me the following information (abridged
by me to minimize typing errors).  I don't necessarily understand all
of it.

Apogee Model AD 500 - Portable Stereo Analog to Digital Converter
18 Bit Conversion using Delta Sigma Technology

Features:

Analog Input - Stereo

  Balanced Inputs (below consumer levels to +27 dBu maximum)

  Discreet Input Circuitry, <0.001% THD+N

  DC Servo, all direct coupling, no interstage coupling capacitors

  Passive RF Filter, no intermodulation distortion byproducts

  Passive Anti-Alisasing filter over 100dB, flat to +/-0.05dB, linear
phase to +/-0.1 degree

  Common Mode Rejection >100dB, stable over wide temperature range

  Simple Level Metering, precise indications of 12 and 2 dB below
clipping

  Conductive Plastic front panel gain controls

  Cal Multi-Turn Pots, calibrated screwdriver level adjustment or fine trim

Analog Input Selector Switch

  Off saves battery power, transmits "audio black" digital output

  Mute/Cal mutes input, automatic calibration

  On passes analog audio through very simple signal path, removes DC

  Soft Limit rounds clipping

  Soft Saturate simulates analog tape saturation

  Emphasis implemented passively w/ 1% capacitors and metal film resistors

Broad Sync Capability [subheads deleted]

Sync Source Selector Switch

  32, 44.056, 44.1, 48 from internal 10 ppm crystal reference

  [other subheads deleted]

Digital Outputs

  AES/EBU, male XLR

  SPDIF, flying lead

  Optical

  Front Panel Power Switch: AES/EBU, SPDIF, off

  nominal 12v DC power, 10 to 18 ok

  Power Consumption under 10 watts

  Flexible Grounding: chasis, power and audio can reference to
different grounds.

  Very strong case, 1.5" high, 5.5" wide, 10" deep

------

This unit should be available in April (well, in time for Summer tour,
anyway) and will cost $1295.  (If other people are interested, I may
try to negotiate a wholesale price.)

There's another unit that will probably be available next year, which
should be even better: 20 bits, custom noise-shaping DSP chips, etc.
Possibly $3k; it's only on the drawing board now.

Seth

From: sethb@Morgan.COM (Seth Breidbart)

I just phoned Apogee for further information on the Apogee AD 500.

The price is $1295, they won't sell wholesale (or at least won't admit
to me that they do.  I may try calling Jim Oade to see if he can get
them cheaper).

The power supply (runs off wall current) is $60, or you can use a 12v
battery.

SCMS is not available (I assume that means code 00).

They said that high-power mics (e.g. B&K) _might_ not need mic
pre-amps.  The AD500 has the capability (including the 48v supply),
but it isn't implemented.  The AD1000 is higher priority right now, so
the AD500 will include a mic pre-amp in maybe two years.  They won't
say whether it will be available as an upgrade.

Their new box, the AD1000, will have the mic pre-amp built in.  The
AD1000 will cost "3-4 times as much" and will be available sometime
next year, they hope.  It will also have more professional output
formats, including a 20-bit one.

There is no analog out.

The SPDIF output is on a D type 15-pin connector, and also has an RCA
jack.

It will be available in about two months (sometime in May 1991).

I'm definitely considering it, but then, I like toys.

Seth			sethb@fid.morgan.com