[rec.audio.high-end] Pre-amp considered harmful?

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (03/19/91)

This is getting kicked around a bit in rec.audio, and it's certainly a
high-end subject.  IF you don't play vinyl, then it seems intuitively likely
that a pre-amp box full of active componentry is less desirable than some
sort of passive attenuation/balance/switching technology.  Even if you play
vinyl, the idea of a RIAA+head-amp box specialized for that function and
producing line-level output might suggest the desirability of passive
pre-amping.

Or, it might suggest the viability of a truly high-end integrated amp - just
a power amp with passive volume/balance/switching stuff on the front - this
also eliminates one stage of interconnect - appealingly minimalist.

Might even be room to save a few bucks here...

I know for a fact such products exist.  Anyone here using them?  It said
that there are all sorts of potential problems with impedance matching and
the like.  Feedback on that?

Tim Bray, Open Text Systems, Waterloo, Ontario

rbars@hila.hut.fi (Rainer B{rs) (03/25/91)

In article <10339@uwm.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:

>This is getting kicked around a bit in rec.audio, and it's certainly a
>high-end subject.  IF you don't play vinyl, then it seems intuitively likely
>that a pre-amp box full of active componentry is less desirable than some
>sort of passive attenuation/balance/switching technology.  Even if you play
>vinyl, the idea of a RIAA+head-amp box specialized for that function and
>producing line-level output might suggest the desirability of passive
>pre-amping.
>
>Or, it might suggest the viability of a truly high-end integrated amp - just
>a power amp with passive volume/balance/switching stuff on the front - this
>also eliminates one stage of interconnect - appealingly minimalist.
>
>Might even be room to save a few bucks here...
>
>I know for a fact such products exist.  Anyone here using them?  It said
>that there are all sorts of potential problems with impedance matching and
>the like.  Feedback on that?
>
>Tim Bray, Open Text Systems, Waterloo, Ontario

Several HiFi magazines have published building descriptions of passive
preamps. The one I read (the Finnish magazine "HIFI") uses it as a reference.

I will build one myself one of these days - as soon as I can afford a new
power amp. The main problem seems to be building - or buying - desent
volume controls. In my opinion, the type using a "ladder" of resistances
is worth a try.

The impedance matching should not be a major issue, since the wavelength
in the cables is much MUCH longer than the length of the cables. If anyone
of You engineers out there could post an easy-to-understand explanation
of how impedance matching works, I wolud enjoy it. This is not my area..

Anyway, the thing is relatively easy to build, easy to understand, economic,
does not pollute, so it should be perfect for the DIY-man.
(and Your girl- or boyfriend will be capable of using it too :-)

Rainer Bars
Helsinki University of Technology
Lab. of Engineering Geology and Geophysics

** Money? What money? You mean they will PAY me for THIS nonsense? **