[rec.audio.high-end] Dividing your money

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (04/08/91)

In article <10441@uwm.edu> tmajni%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Tim Majni) writes:
>The British say you should spend 1/3 on source, 1/3 on
>amplification, and 1/3 on speakers.

Should note that this is 'New British' thinking, and has been gaining
ground in maybe the past year.  The previous British rule of thumb
was to build from source down: maybe 1/2 on source, and 1/4 each on amp
and speakers; a lot of people still go by this, including me.

There's also the rule of thumb I remember being used in the States
before I moved over here, of loading the output end: 1/2 on speakers,
1/4 each on amp and source.  I know there are some people who still
firmly believe that, because I've had savage arguments with a few of
them.

Worse yet, it's possible to come up with totally sound and rational
arguments for any of these rules of thumb.  It's also possible to find
people who will support whichever one you like based on their
experiences of what sounds better.

The saving grace is that there's one place where everyone I've talked
to agrees -- these are ONLY rough rules of thumb to help you narrow
down the range of what you've got to look at.  You've GOT to make the
final decision by listening to various combinations of stuff yourself,
to decide what YOU prefer.

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132