[rec.audio.high-end] Replacement drivers for original Advents

jt480401@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (joe turk) (04/11/91)

   Since there are many of us that still use and enjoy the sound of the
original New Advent Loudspeakers, the problem of replacing bad/worn
woofers or blown tweeters is common.   If anyone has experimented with
replacement drivers for either, could you email this back to me or
post.

  I'm thinking of trying the Audax HD134 dome midrange/tweeter with the
original crossover of 1.5 kHz.  However, the Advent woofers are very
rugged, with a very stiff cone, and long-throw voice coil, and finding
a decent replacement for this particular acoustic-suspension speaker box
is tricky.

--joe    jt480401@longs.lance.colostate.edu

jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu (James Hess) (04/12/91)

In article <10947@uwm.edu> jt480401@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (joe turk) writes:

>   Since there are many of us that still use and enjoy the sound of the
>original New Advent Loudspeakers, the problem of replacing bad/worn
>woofers or blown tweeters is common.   If anyone has experimented with
>replacement drivers for either, could you email this back to me or
>post.

Have you considered going to the manufacturer, Jensen?  They bought out Advent
some years ago, and were even supplying replacement parts for the Original
Advent, albeit for a rather stiff price.  As the most frequent problem was
decomposition of the foam surround, I had an arrangement with a local
speaker reconer who would replace the surround only, leaving the voice coil,
spider, and cone alone.  I was able to repair them for my customers for about
60% of the replacement cost.

-Jim Hess-