[rec.audio.high-end] Subwoofer For ESL63

Jon.Fairbairn@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk (Jon Fairbairn) (03/14/91)

In the past few weeks I've been trying out the Celestion System 6000 with
QUAD ESL 63s -- I hope I'll give a full account of that later.  However,
while doing this I've heard a rumour (from two independent sources) that
QUAD are in the process of designing a subwoofer system (one for each
channel).  Mind you, the second source also added that he didn't think he'd
live to see it, so it's probably not all that imminent.

Has anyone else heard this rumour?

 Jon

Janne.Anttila@lut.fi (Janne Anttila) (03/15/91)

Jon> Originator: tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

Jon> In the past few weeks I've been trying out the Celestion System 6000 with
Jon> QUAD ESL 63s -- I hope I'll give a full account of that later.  However,
Jon> while doing this I've heard a rumour (from two independent sources) that
Jon> QUAD are in the process of designing a subwoofer system (one for each
Jon> channel).  Mind you, the second source also added that he didn't think he'd
Jon> live to see it, so it's probably not all that imminent.

Jon> Has anyone else heard this rumour?

This is not a rumour: a Finnish company called Gradient manufactures
a dipole subwoofer for QUAD ESL 63. I don't know whether Quad is
marketing it at the moment, but in the near future they will. I've
seen it at an Finnish audio fair, too bad I didn't have time to listen
to the combination. The subwoofer is designed like ESL 63 and intended
to be used as a stand for the speakers. The subwoofer includes a metal
frame that mounts the speaker to it.

  Janne Anttila    /> ...mutta Saturnuksesta l{hestyy taivaanlaiva. />
                  />   Veljet, meid{n on syyt{ olla varuillamme,   />
  [{ni ylh{{lt{  />  sill{ Saturnuksen miehet eiv{t tunne armoa.  />
_________________________________________________________________/>

sridhar@uunet.UU.NET (Sridhar Mahadevan) (03/18/91)

Yes, my local Quad dealer has the subwoofers for the Quad ESL-63's. They
are called SW-63. My understanding is that they are made FOR Quad and
not made BY Quad.

They look really nice -- they essentially function both as a nice stand
for the Quad's and as a subwoofer. The Quad locks onto the top of the
subwoofers.

Bad news: they are expensive ($3000). And my dealer is not terribly
thrilled with their performance. I must admit I have'nt actually
auditioned them myself because I am not ready to shell out the money.

- Sridhar

ray@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ray Berry) (03/18/91)

Jon.Fairbairn@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk (Jon Fairbairn) writes:

>while doing this I've heard a rumour (from two independent sources) that
>QUAD are in the process of designing a subwoofer system (one for each ...

	I heard of this about 2 yrs ago when visiting the local dealer- the
Quad sales rep just happened to be there.  Evidently it was a cooperative
effort between KEF and quad.  I never inquired about it after that, but the
2 yrs interim interval, sans announcement, suggests that your friend may have
the availability date pegged :-).
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...sumax!ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */

Janne.Anttila@lut.fi (Janne Anttila) (03/18/91)

The subwoofer's name is of course SW-63. It's active, so you need an
extra amp for it. Stereophile has tested it, I don't know in which
issue. I've heard that they really liked it. I was wrong about that
metal frame, it's not a part of SW-63, they sell it separately.

  Janne Anttila    /> ...mutta Saturnuksesta l{hestyy taivaanlaiva. />
                  />   Veljet, meid{n on syyt{ olla varuillamme,   />
  [{ni ylh{{lt{  />  sill{ Saturnuksen miehet eiv{t tunne armoa.  />
_________________________________________________________________/>

Jon.Fairbairn@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk (Jon Fairbairn) (03/20/91)

(Janne.Antilla@lut.fi):
Janne> This is not a rumour: a Finnish company called Gradient manufactures
Janne> a dipole subwoofer for QUAD ESL 63. ...

OK, I'll grant you, that isn't a rumour,

Janne>                                  ... I don't know whether Quad is
Janne> marketing it at the moment, but in the near future they will. ...

but that is.  I phoned QUAD, and the chap I spoke to said that he
knew of the Gradient subwoofer, and told me that it's imported to
the states by TDA.  He even said that the person to speak to in TDA
was Ed Garner, and gave the number as +1 703 631 8618/9.  But he also
said that there was no connexion with Quad, and that they had no plans
to make one either.   The reason (and I'd agree with it) being that it
is very difficult to make bass reproduction of a quality to match the
ESL 63, particularly when you have room accoustics to contend with.
(more on that if I find the energy to write up the Celestion system).

Nevertheless, I'm curious to know more about the Gradient system.

  Jon

Janne.Anttila@lut.fi (Janne Anttila) (03/21/91)

Jon> was Ed Garner, and gave the number as +1 703 631 8618/9.  But he also
Jon> said that there was no connexion with Quad, and that they had no plans
Jon> to make one either.

Ok, Quad marketing the SW-63 was a rumour. But I still think that there
is SOME connection with Quad. At least Gradient imports Quad to Finland.

Jon> Nevertheless, I'm curious to know more about the Gradient system.

Sorry, can't help you. The only thing more I know about SW-63 is their
price in Finland: 9000 FIM (about 2500 USD). And I'd bet it beats that
Celestion subwoofer 6-0.

  Janne Anttila    /> ...mutta Saturnuksesta l{hestyy taivaanlaiva. />
                  />   Veljet, meid{n on syyt{ olla varuillamme,   />
  [{ni ylh{{lt{  />  sill{ Saturnuksen miehet eiv{t tunne armoa.  />
_________________________________________________________________/>

FRANCISCO%FILIP0.LIPUC.RCCN.PT@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (FRANCISCO FRAGA) (04/19/91)

I am still trying to match a subwoofer to my Quads ESL 63 and
I have built this week end a dipole subwoofer using an Hartley
24" speaker as published by  Speaker Builter (thanks, Ray).
The first results were encouraging, but I have several doubts
and advice would be welcome.
        In this project the high pass section of the crossover is
passive (6dB/octave) and as the  ESL 63 bass roll-off
is 3rd order below resonance one gets a 24 dB/octave filter.
But the crossover frequency of the ESL is difficult to establish.
The frequency of the impedance peak is level dependent, so it can't
be considered as cross frequency. From the sine wave frequency reponse
the crossover seems to be about 50Hz but from the 1/3 octave pink noise
published data it seems to be 63Hz. What is the correct answer?
        Another question about double speakers subwoofers. Mirage M1,
and Celestion 3000 system, e.g., use two opposing bass speakers. Are they
operated in electrical phase and /or accoustical phase? When one of the
speakers cone approches towards the listener the other aproaches or
stands off from the listener?

Francisco A. F. Fraga
Dept. Physics
Univ. Coimbra
3000 Coimbra PORTUGAL tel. 351-39-34668 fax 351-39-29158
FRANCISCO@FILIP0.LIPUC.RCCN.PT