[rec.audio.high-end] DAT copy protection joint R&D with BBN

gnu@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (John Gilmore) (04/23/91)

EE Times of 15 April 91, page 22, describes a joint R&T project between
RIAA and BBN.  BBN expects to spend about a million dollars and come up
with some kind of "copyright protection and identification system" to
prevent unauthorized copying of recorded works using DAT recorders.
The technology will supposedly also cover any future digital recording
techniques, "such as digital compact cassette".  BBN is Bolt, Beranek &
Newman, the folks who built parts of the original Arpanet.  RIAA's "50
members account for more than 90 percent of the 'legitimate'
recordings produced and sold in the United States".

They don't mention anything about writeable CD's.

Since the Justice Dept. had to review this joint project (wonder how long
until they have to review who I go out to dinner with), there are probably
public documents available that say more about it.  Does anyone here know
more about this project?
--
John Gilmore   {sun,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@toad.com   gnu@cygnus.com
*  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *

whs70@taichi.bellcore.com (24460-W. H. Sohl(L145)) (04/24/91)

In article<11317@uwm.edu> hoptoad!gnu@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (John Gilmore) writes:

>EE Times of 15 April 91, page 22, describes a joint R&T project between
>RIAA and BBN.  BBN expects to spend about a million dollars and come up
>with some kind of "copyright protection and identification system" to
>prevent unauthorized copying of recorded works using DAT recorders.
>The technology will supposedly also cover any future digital recording
>techniques, "such as digital compact cassette".  BBN is Bolt, Beranek &
>Newman, the folks who built parts of the original Arpanet.  RIAA's "50
>members account for more than 90 percent of the 'legitimate'
>recordings produced and sold in the United States".
>
>They don't mention anything about writeable CD's.
>
>Since the Justice Dept. had to review this joint project (wonder how long
>until they have to review who I go out to dinner with), there are probably
>public documents available that say more about it.  Does anyone here know
>more about this project?
>--
>John Gilmore   {sun,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@toad.com   gnu@cygnus.com

Try contacting the Home Recoding Roghts Coalition 1-800-282-TAPE

Their Address is:

PO Box 33576
Washington, DC 20033

They have been keeping a long watch on this entire issue and they
are the organization that has tried to get some type of compromise
worked out (SCMS) so that American Consumers can finally gain
access to DAT equipment.

I called them a few minutes ago and their understanding of this
latest RIAA effort is that the RIAA is trying to come up with some
type of ANALOG copy protection scheme.  Understand, that even if
such a scheme was developed, it would take federal legislation
to mandate that all tape recorders produced (after a certain date)
be equipped with the electronics that recognized and then acted upon
(to prevent copying) the analog copy protection scheme.

I also asked them about the latest on DAT copy protection, etc.
Here's the status:

The law suit against Sony by several music industry organizations
is a class action suit against ALL DAT manufacturers the intent of which
is to outlaw DAT recorders being sold to consumers OR to force some
type of royalty to be granted by the courts as an acknowledgement
(recognition) that DAT recorders can make perfect copies and isn't
that terrible for the poor recording industry.

Another expected ploy of the recording industry is to push for
(again) for lefislation that would put a royalty tax on ALL
blank tape that is sold with the royalty tax then being divided
by some process amongst those that make(made) copyrighted
recordings.

Finally, DAT equipment IS being sold and the consumer DATs have
had the SCMS protection scheme electonics built in.  That has
been done on a voluntary basis with no force of law.

-------

If you are at all serious about keeping up with this an, more
importantly, adding your voice to those that want to be able to
buy tape without paying royalties and being able to buy whatever'
the latest technology sound recording equipment may be (DAT,
writeable CDs, who knows what?) then call the HRRC and ask to
them to send you a copy of their latest newsletter and ask to
be included on their mailing list for future newsletters.

Bill Sohl   (K2UNK)            ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com