[rec.audio.high-end] Crossover design

dlin@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Daniel Lin) (01/23/91)

I am in the process of designing a crossover for a three way speaker
system and have come across a problem concerning the proper crossover
point. According to Weems' book on speaker building, the crossover
frequency is defined as the frequency at which the output of a given
driver is reduced by 3 dB. Weems then goes on to present formulas to
determine the required components for that crossover frequency(i.e. both
drivers are 3 dB down at the desired crossover frequency).
However, other articles concerning proper
crossover design have stated that both drivers should be 6 dB down at the
crossover frequency in order to achieve a flat summed response at that
frequency. Is there a contradiction here? If there is, which one is
correct, and how does one determine the proper components for the
crossover? Any tips concerning these questions would be greatly
appreciated.

Daniel Lin
University of Rochester

hull%janus.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Christopher Hull) (01/25/91)

In a x-over design it is neccessary that the vector sum of the acoustic
pressures from the drivers be equal to 1.   If the drivers are in phase
than that implies that they are 6db down each (as in Linkwitz 2nd & 4th
order x-overs).  However for 1st & 3rd order butterworth x-overs, the
drivers are in phase quadrature (90 degrees out of phase) and thus each
driver is only 3db down at the x-over frequency.  For x-over designs with
even more phase difference it may be necessary for each driver to have full
output at the x-over frequency (e.g. the "Quasi" second order filter).

There are a number of design considerations that must go into choosing the
x-over.  For example, driver quality, actual x-over freuquncy, power level
required, cost etc.  Each x-over has a different set of trade offs.  First
order x-ovvers will only work with widenband drivers and are best for
multi-way systems.  Higher slope x-overs are expensive, tricky to build,
but will allow use of fewer drivers over a wider bandwidth /driver.

For two way sytems you may want to use 3rd or 4th order networks.
For three way sytems first or second order networks will suffice.
For four way sytems generally use first order networks.

Also, their is the Bessel type network used in the Spica Tc-50 , which
I have used myself.  It is 4th order on low pass, and only first order
on high pass.

Chris Hull
< hull@janus.berkeley.edu>

jroth@allvax.enet.dec.com (Jim Roth) (01/25/91)

-Message-Text-Follows-

In article <9101@uwm.edu>, dlin@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Daniel Lin) writes...
 >                           Weems then goes on to present formulas to
 >determine the required components for that crossover frequency(i.e. both
 >drivers are 3 dB down at the desired crossover frequency).
 >However, other articles concerning proper
 >crossover design have stated that both drivers should be 6 dB down at the
 >crossover frequency in order to achieve a flat summed response at that
 >frequency. Is there a contradiction here? If there is, which one is
 >correct, and how does one determine the proper components for the
 >crossover? Any tips concerning these questions would be greatly
 >appreciated.

 This is a complicated issue that I can't really do justice to in a simple
 reply.  But basically it depends on what type of crossover filter and
 the relative phases of the signals sent to the drivers at the crossover
 point.

 For example, if you use 3'rd order Butterworth filters, then they should
 be 3 dB down at the crossover frequency so that the summed power response
 on axis will be flat - the signals will be 90 degrees out to the drivers
 at the crossover point.

 On the other hand, a Linkwitz-Riley (cascaded Butterworth filter) crossover
 keeps the signals sent to the drivers in phase at all frequencies, so the
 -6 dB figure is correct.  The advantage here is a better behaved polar
 response.

 Even this is oversimplifying things becasue you have to take into account
 the acoustic response of the drivers, as well as their electrical impedances
 (if a passive crossover is being developed) and modify the filter shapes
 and component values accordingly.

 It's not so simple when you "reduce it to practice".  If you use the
 network and equations in Weems' book, presumably they will be for a nominal
 crossover phased 90 degrees at the crossover point.

 A really good way to learn more is from the Speaker Builder magazine,
 as well as the loudspeaker article anthologies available from the Audio
 Engineering Society.

 - Jim

dlin@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Daniel Lin) (01/28/91)

	This business of designing a crossover is getting more and more
	confusing as I read into the literature. Many of the recent
	articles concerning crossover design in Journal of the Audio
	Engineering Society have focussed on high order crossovers, while
	providing little or no information on the optimization of "simple"
	first order designs.
		My initial query regarding the optimum crossover frequency
	required to obtain unity reponse at the desired frequency was
	answered (thank you) but several questions remain. Assuming that
	one is interested in designing an all first order network for a
	three-way speaker system utilizing "ideal" drivers- that is, the
	drivers are well behaved beyond their pass bands, show a smooth
	change in directivity across frequencies, and are free of
	contributions from the cabinet (e.g. diffraction loss). The
	literature suggests that equations used to determine low and high
	pass filter componenets cannot be applied to design the bandpass
	filter due to interactions between components. What kinds of
	calculations are required to determine the necessary adjustments?
	Are any adjustments needed for woofer's low pass or the tweeter's
	high pass crossover values?
		I suppose that once these questions are answered, I'll have
	to return to real world conditions to begin to optimize around
	driver limitations and cabinet effects.
		Thank you for your comments.

		Daniel Lin
		University of Rochester

jj@alice.att.com (jj, like it or not) (01/30/91)

In article <9172@uwm.edu> dlin@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Daniel Lin) writes:

>	Engineering Society have focussed on high order crossovers, while
>	providing little or no information on the optimization of "simple"
>	first order designs.
There are a few reasons for this.  First, since the excursion
of a driver falls off with the second derivitive, i.e. with
f^2, you will find, in general, that you get insufficient
excursion control with a first order high-pass filter.  This can
cause both bad sound (modulation by driver saturation or non-linear
excursion at lower frequencies than you expect) and driver damage.

>	Assuming that
>	one is interested in designing an all first order network for a
>	three-way speaker system utilizing "ideal" drivers- that is, the
>	drivers are well behaved beyond their pass bands, show a smooth
>	change in directivity across frequencies, and are free of
This means that all your drivers need to extend about 3 octaves
beyond the cutoff frequency you've chosen.  This is going to be
a tough problem.  What is the input characteristics of those
drivers across the same frequency range going to be like, too?

>	The
>	literature suggests that equations used to determine low and high
>	pass filter componenets cannot be applied to design the bandpass
>	filter due to interactions between components.
This is quite true, unless you figure the (complex) impedence of the
driver into your equation.  You will find out very quickly that
you will then have no first-order functions anyhow.  For instance,
let us assume you use a direct-series-capacitor for a high-pass
filter.  Assuming you do this, what is the response of the system
near the resonant point of the tweeter?  It's WELL above what you expect,
because of the order-of-magnitude peak in the magnitude of the
tweeter impedence.  Many, MANY first-order crossover designers haven't
taken this into account, and have had nasty nasty peaks just below
the crossover frequency.  Now, given some need for efficiency equalization,
this can be mitigated by absorbing most of the energy in the
resistive pad, BUT you have to think of that first, and have
appropriate efficiencies for your driver+box combo.

>	What kinds of
>	calculations are required to determine the necessary adjustments?
It's not easy to say. Each type of driver (sometimes with drivers with
bad QC, each DRIVER) has different characteristics.  Furthermore,
it's very hard to come up with an analytic model (pole/zero) for
most drivers, because of the many delay components and non-linearities
that are present, even if you have the appropriate equipment and
necessary math calculation abilities.  (And these are not easy
to come by, either, nor are they cheap. In addition, you will have
to decide level and frequency content for the model's applicibility,
because you will find that drivers are (*&(*& non-linear.)
>	Are any adjustments needed for woofer's low pass or the tweeter's
>	high pass crossover values?
Typically, the inductor for the woofer will need to be slightly
larger thanyou expect, and the cap for the tweeter will be substantially
smaller.  These statements, however, are subject to much, MUCH
qualification!!!! You'll be better off measuring SPL individually
at each driver and then in sum, and making a guess as to
what's happening, I suspect.

>		I suppose that once these questions are answered, I'll have
>	to return to real world conditions to begin to optimize around
>	driver limitations and cabinet effects.
I think you'll find your life quite difficult.

The design of passive high-level crossovers is by no means
reduced to any reliable process.  The loads for the crossovers
are quite idiosyncratic, the parts accuracy is low, the
manifacture of accurate parts is tricky, and so on.

I've been predicting for years that people will start making
integrated amplifier/speakers, with all the filtering done passively.
So far, the integrated (circuit) amps aren't quite good enough
(although they COULD be, the manifacturers don't see their
market in quality), and the engineering (although well
known and understood) hasn't been present in a place
where it can be sold.
--
       -------->From the pyrolagnic keyboard of jj@alice.att.com<--------
Copyright alice!jj 1990,  all rights reserved,  except transmission  by USENET and

bill@vrdxhq.verdix.com (William Spencer) (01/30/91)

in article <9136@uwm.edu>, jroth@allvax.enet.dec.com (Jim Roth) says:
>  For example, if you use 3'rd order Butterworth filters, then they should
>  be 3 dB down at the crossover frequency so that the summed power response
>  on axis will be flat

>From what I see in the common literature, this is not right in two ways.
It's the summed pressure response (=voltage response), not the power. That
does _seem_ wierd that power doesn't add. But the other problem is that
"power response on axis" seems to be a non-concept. Power response
controls the total energy in the room -- the response in a reverberant
field. (Is there an acoustical law for this?)

> - the signals will be 90 degrees out to the drivers
>  at the crossover point.

Yes. Therefore at some angle relative to "on axis" the difference in delay
between drivers results in in-phase operation and a 3 dB peak. The
"polar tilt".

>  On the other hand, a Linkwitz-Riley (cascaded Butterworth filter) crossover
>  keeps the signals sent to the drivers in phase at all frequencies, so the
>  -6 dB figure is correct.

You're presuming even order, which is of course the reason for the L-R.
The combination of both drivers produces constant pressure on axis using
half the power. But where does this increased "efficiency" come from?
Yet we see the total energy in the room is the summed power response.
Evidently this "increased efficiency" is not really that, it's a
directional thing.

The even-order can not be constant power and constant pressure at once,
but the odd-order can. How? That polar peak off-axis adds more energy to
the room.

My understanding of all this is sketchy, but it's the result of other
experts avoiding the subject entirely of trying to put together the pieces
and explain what's really going on. Comment or clarifications?

dlin@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Daniel Lin) writes...

>	The literature suggests that equations used to determine low and high
	pass filter componenets cannot be applied to design the bandpass
	filter due to interactions between components. What kinds of
	calculations are required to determine the necessary adjustments?
	Are any adjustments needed for woofer's low pass or the tweeter's
	high pass crossover values?

Try Bullock's article in Speaker Builder 2/85 or the Loudspeaker Design
Cookbook. The SB article may give you more options.

From: jj@alice.att.com (jj, like it or not):
>	Anyone seriously considering "real" bi-amping
>(which means a low-level crossover in front of the amps)
>should probably look into various asymetric designs for
>crossovers.

Is there a way of explaining how these result in flat response other
than the equations?
Obviously I can see the equations sum. So what? That's _not_ understanding.

>Which, you note, adds up to 1, with no phase-problems,
>and no amplitude problems.

What's the off-axis response? (Genuine interest, I don't know)
Total phase shift? (see below)

-----

Okay, with odd order crossovers you can connect drivers in either
polarity. Does anyone want to volunteer which they think is better?
I can see a few things. You can try both and see which compensates
better for nonperfect drivers. The delay between drivers and the preferred
up or down polar tilt can be considered.

If the reverse polarity connection is chosen, which driver gets reverse
absolute polarity? Seems that this depends on crossover frequency.
However, also seems wierd that subwoofers could end up out of phase by this
logic, I know they are in some designs. (This question applies to second order
xovers also).

In phase connection avoids this previous question. However, out phase suits
typical quasi-first order designs due to the extra phase shift of the driver
(not in all cases). With third order things get more complicated. In
phase connection results in 360 degrees of phase shift going through crossover,
not zero. So, a very complicated decision results, at least on principle.
Luckily (?), most peaple claim the difference is inaudible. Due to the
presence of the other considerations listed above, it's hard to truly
test this factor in isolation.

So, some answers and some questions. Let's get a discussion going.

Bill Spencer

bill@vrdxhq.verdix.com (William Spencer) (02/01/91)

in article <9226@uwm.edu>, jj@alice.att.com (jj, like it or not) says:
> In article <9172@uwm.edu> dlin@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Daniel Lin) writes:

>>	The
>>	literature suggests that equations used to determine low and high
>>	pass filter componenets cannot be applied to design the bandpass
>>	filter due to interactions between components.

> This is quite true, unless you figure the (complex) impedence of the
> driver into your equation.  You will find out very quickly that
> you will then have no first-order functions anyhow.
[etc.]

I believe you are answering a different question here. He (and Bullock)
are saying a 3-way is not the same as two 2-ways in cascade. The crossovers
interact with each other. (I'd like an explaination of why this happens,
I don't get it, partially because I've stuck with 2-ways.)
Anyway, good explaination of the need for impedance compensation or other
techniques.

Cookbook techniques for impedance compensation are availiable. With
an oscilloscope and a sine wave generator you can experiment to further
flatten impedance magnitude and phase. Connect a resistor, say 50 ohms, 10W
between amp and the driver/compensation load. Changes in the load impedance
will change the voltage response.

>You'll be better off measuring SPL individually
> at each driver and then in sum, and making a guess as to
> what's happening, I suspect.

It's also a good idea to check your transfer function at the driver terminals
with that sine wave and 'scope.
You will need to know what rolloff rate and phase characteristic to expect.

> I've been predicting for years that people will start making
> integrated amplifier/speakers, with all the filtering done passively.

Not biamped? And you have to plug the speakers into the wall? Humm.
I do think that for bi-amping to catch on some kind of standard is needed.
Maybe amps with slots for crossover cards or something. Or ROM cards and
digital crossovers! I can't believe I just wrote that :-). Digital does
seem more illuminating when it replaces as much of the analog as possible.
Even digital amps, but coming up with an amp that really uses digital
to advantage requires some new approach. The digital could be used as an
input to the power supply to intelligently prepare for transients, for example.

Bill Spencer

michard@nuri.inria.fr (michard alain rsi) (04/29/91)

Could anybody give me a pointer to a document (book, article in a journal)
which could be available in Europe, describing precisely 3-ways
crossovers ? I need information about advantages and drawbacks
of the various possible designs (Linkwitz,..) and the formulas
that I can use to compute the value of the components.

I have found in France a book on speaker design, with a good
complete description of 2-ways crossovers, but for 3-ways
the author just says that it is too complicated, and that readers
should refer to directions-for-use published by loudspeaker
manufacturers. A bit too short for someone who wishes to design his own
speakers...

Thanks for the help.

Alain Michard
I.N.R.I.A. - Domaine de Voluceau - BP 105
78153 LE CHESNAY  - FRANCE
michard@nuri.inria.fr