[rec.audio.high-end] B&K vs. Adcom

dpetersen@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu (04/25/91)

I'm going to be purchasing a new amp and pre-amp within the next month, and I
wanted comments about a couple of brands that I've heard varying reports
about: B&K and Adcom. Reviews in audio magazines tend to say that these two
brands are great sound at bargain prices, but I've also noticed that there
have been complaints about the quality of individual units varying widely
(some good components, some poorly made and worse sounding).

I'd like to here from someone who has an opinion on one of these brands, and
especially from someone who has auditioned both. I was planning on purchasing
a top-of-the-line amp and preamp from one manufacturer (I don't know the
model numbers).

Thanks in advance.

asmith@sol.uvic.ca (Andrew Smith) (04/29/91)

In article <11403@uwm.edu> dpetersen@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu writes:

>wanted comments about a couple of brands that I've heard varying reports
>about: B&K and Adcom. Reviews in audio magazines tend to say that these two

IMHO, the B&K amp is great, I have the ST-140. The preamp though(sorry, I can't
remember the model) is not that great. I bought it and then returned it because
the sound was just not "clean". It was like listening through a thin curtain.