[rec.audio.high-end] Mods wanted for Accoustat speakers

mhk@racer.HQ.Ileaf.COM (04/23/91)

I just picked up a pair of Accoustat 2+2's at a great price, and would
like to modify them.

Does anyone know what people change on these speakers to make them
sound better?  Wiring changes?  What brand?  Frame stiffening/reshaping?
MK interface changes?

The obvious changes I see are: Removing the grill cloth, Upgrading
the low voltage caps on the high-pass filter, eliminating the fuses,
upgrading the binding posts (biwire?) and low-voltage wiring, and
possibly eliminating the 1 ohm resistor (I will be using a high-current
solid-state amp).

BTW, I test-drove the speakers using my Musical Concepts modified DH500
and TWO pairs of Straightwire maestro speaker cable.  They sounded pretty
good.  And if there are any cable skeptics here, there was no doubt that
one pair of maestro did not sound as good (less bass/detail/texture), and
FMS grey 1, and Vectuer CV50 were not even in the running.  Associated
equipment for the session were a Phillips CD-80, ModSquad deluxe line drive,
and maestro interconnects.

I'm interested in mods to improve bass in these speakers. It was a little
flabby. Should I get out a heat gun and tighten up the diaphram?  Would
making the frames stronger, more rigid, heavier, and spiked help?  How
about adding "wings" to reduce back-wave cancellation?

So, if you have any first-hand, second-hand, or non Stereophile/Absolute
Sound/Audio Amatuer/Speaker Builder references, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
Mark Kaepplein mhk@ileaf.com (617-290-0710)

ih8rlf0p@serss0.fiu.edu (jim stafford) (05/02/91)

In article <11318@uwm.edu> mhk@racer.HQ.Ileaf.COM writes:
 >I just picked up a pair of Accoustat 2+2's at a great price, and would
 >like to modify them.
 >
 >Does anyone know what people change on these speakers to make them
 >sound better?  Wiring changes?  What brand?  Frame stiffening/reshaping?
 >MK interface changes?
 >
 >Thanks,
 >Mark Kaepplein mhk@ileaf.com (617-290-0710)

I don't know what vintage your speakers are, but Acoustat came out with
an upgrade for most of their speakers a few years ago involving the
transformer box.  It had a cutesy name, and wasn't too expensive as I
recall.  I heard reports that it was a substantial improvement.  You
may want to contact them and see if yours are pre-upgrade.

Hope this helps,
jimbo