[rec.audio.high-end] What's up with RDAT?

km456265@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Kevin Melsheimer) (04/26/91)

Has anyone heard any information about the new digital format that
is coming out sometime this summer?  Is the new RDAT system supposed
to be as good as existing DAT systems?  How will the new Philips
deck analog end stand up to normal tape players (the new dcc format
I've heard will be able to play normal audio cassettes) What will
the dynamic range be like?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Melsheimer

winalski@psw.enet.dec.com (Paul S. Winalski) (04/29/91)

In article <11436@uwm.edu>,
km456265@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Kevin Melsheimer) writes:

|>Has anyone heard any information about the new digital format that
|>is coming out sometime this summer?  Is the new RDAT system supposed
|>to be as good as existing DAT systems?

The new format is not RDAT (rotating-head DAT).  It is SDAT (stationary-head
DAT).

On the chosen tape dimensions, SDAT cannot record at the same density as
the existing RDAT.  It cannot deliver enough bandwidth to support recording
a full two channel, 16-bit digital signal at the 48KHz or 44.1KHz sampling
rates currently in use for digital audio.  Instead, the format performs
sophisticated data compression on the signal, in essence, throwing away
those parts of the signal that are psychoacoustically inaudible.  Thus, the
format doesn't record the entire digital signal, but allegedly the only
information lost is stuff you can't hear, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The same claim was made for the analog copy-protect signal notch when that
was proposed, and testing by the NBS showed that the claim was false--the
differences were trivially audible.  I therefore remain a skeptic of
Phillips's claims that their data compression doesn't affect the signal.
I suspect that the golden ears, who already bash RDAT and CDs for their
signal infidelity, are going to have a field day with SDAT.  I'll take RDAT,
thank you.

|>  How will the new Philips
|>deck analog end stand up to normal tape players (the new dcc format
|>I've heard will be able to play normal audio cassettes) What will
|>the dynamic range be like?

Shouldn't be much different from any other analog cassette player.  I
suspect they'll use the same head and other analog technology that they
use in their current cassette players.

--PSW

Janne.Anttila@lut.fi (Janne Anttila) (04/29/91)

RDAT is the existing DAT system. RDAT = Rotary head Digital Audio Tape.

Philips' DCC seems to be made for the record industry, not audiophiles,
since DCC-tapes can be copied faster and more easily than DAT-tapes.
The sound quality of DCC is likely to be clearly inferior to DAT due to
heavy data compression. I've seen a picture of a DCC-prototype, which
seemed to be built out of scrap (it had a mechanical tape counter!),
but commercial models have not been published yet.

I remember that Sony was developing a contact copy method for faster
DAT copying. I haven't heard of it lately, what's the situation?

  Janne Anttila    /> ...mutta Saturnuksesta l{hestyy taivaanlaiva. />
                  />   Veljet, meid{n on syyt{ olla varuillamme,   />
  [{ni ylh{{lt{  />  sill{ Saturnuksen miehet eiv{t tunne armoa.  />
_________________________________________________________________/>

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) (04/29/91)

For an excellent overview of DCC (Philips), including elucidation of
the PASC coding scheme, economics, subjective listener evaluation,
etc., see the series of short articles in the April 91 Stereophile. I
am doing subjective evaluations in experiments with a similar coding
scheme (Musicam) in the digital audio broadcasting domain, and, I must
say, the results are very impressive. Most listeners cannot tell the
difference between an original CD and the PASC encoded version, even
though the latter reduces the bit rate by a factor of 6!

Ted Grusec    Communications Research Centre    (Govt. of Canada, DOC)
 3701 Carling Ave., Ottawa, Ont.K2H 8S2, CANADA  Internet: ted@dgbt.doc.ca
  Compuserve: 73607,1576  (613) 998 2762   Fax (613) 993 8657

ggs@ulysses.att.com (Griff Smith) (04/30/91)

In article <11521@uwm.edu>, winalski@psw.enet.dec.com (Paul S. Winalski) writes:
> In article <11436@uwm.edu>,
> ... the format doesn't record the entire digital signal, but allegedly
> the only information lost is stuff you can't hear, anyway, so it
> doesn't matter.  The same claim was made for the analog copy-protect
> signal notch when that was proposed, and testing by the NBS showed that
> the claim was false--the differences were trivially audible.

It's not the same thing at all.  The Phillips system probably deletes
signals that are below perception thresholds, the copy-protect notch
deleted a narrow bad unconditionally.

> I therefore remain a skeptic of Phillips's claims that their data
> compression doesn't affect the signal.

No argument, the compression affects the signal.  It would probably
be unintelligible to a modem.

> I suspect that the golden ears, who already bash RDAT and CDs for their
> signal infidelity, are going to have a field day with SDAT.

No argument here, either.  I would paraphrase it as "the golden ears,
who already imagine signal infidelity in RDAT and CD will have a
field day".  They will.  They will also refuse to compare straight
digital recordings with compressed recordings, which would confirm
that the differences are usually inaudible.  Instead, they will
compare SDAT with LP and then point out the obvious sonic clarity
of the latter.  If they do compare SDAT with CD, they will refuse
to do proper level matching because the extra components needed to
balance the output levels might obscure the clarity of the superior
medium.

> I'll take RDAT, thank you.

I'll admit to a nagging feeling that I'd like to have the whole signal
recorded, but it's not based on rational behavior.  When serving
as a test subject for hearing compressed digital sound, I was unable
to select any of the compressed signals reliably.
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-908-582-7736

drm2@mvuxn.att.com (David R Moran) (04/30/91)

In article <11521@uwm.edu> winalski@psw.enet.dec.com (Paul S. Winalski) writes:
>In article <11436@uwm.edu>,
>km456265@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Kevin Melsheimer) writes:
>|>
>|>Has anyone heard any information about the new digital format that
>|>is coming out sometime this summer?  Is the new RDAT system supposed
>|>to be as good as existing DAT systems?
>
>The new format is not RDAT (rotating-head DAT).  It is SDAT (stationary-head
>DAT).
>
>--PSW

For whatever it's worth (not much in this forum, perhaps), I heard
firsthand testimony from Boston Audio Society colleagues I respect
in the January BAS meeting (a WCES wrapup) concerning tough auditioning
tests of DCC (data-compressed SDAT). Peter Mitchell and Brad Meyer
both said that so far as they could tell, using the most rigorous
material (such as L-R low-level piano decay), Phillips had done
their homework and their psychoacoustic testing of in-house subjects
showing the greatest acuity extraordinarily well ....

The system sounded superb, in other words -- that is, entirely neutral.

I have not heard it myself, but Peter and Brad are not readily gulled.

David Moran

lou@caber.valid.com (Louis K. Scheffer) (04/30/91)

Janne.Anttila@lut.fi (Janne Anttila) writes:

>The sound quality of DCC is likely to be clearly inferior to DAT due to
>heavy data compression.

This is not clear one way or another.  16 bit linear encoding is not that
great either.  Suppose, for example, that you took 20 bit samples, and then
applied data compression to them.  The audible results would depend on whether
you gained more from higher resolution samples than you lost from compression.
I read that the Phillips system has more dynamic range than 16 bit linear
coding, so there are at least _some_ things that are better with that scheme.

Listening tests will be the only way to tell if the DCC scheme sounds better,
worse, or the same as 16 bit linear.  Until these are done the situation is
unclear.

There is one thing that is clear, however.  People will complain about the
compression, blaming it for all sorts of things.  I think that for this
reason alone Phillips should have a lossless coding mode.  This could still save
a factor of 2 or 3 in bits, but at no loss in accuracy.  I suppose, however,
that they wanted bigger compression factors.

With lossless data compression, you could put 60 KHz, 20 bit samples on
current CDs easily.  Now that would be a good use of data compression!

-Lou Scheffer-

sundinKC@dna.lth.se (Anders Sundin) (04/30/91)

Ted Grusec (ted@dgbt.doc.ca) writes:
>For an excellent overview of DCC (Philips), including elucidation of
>the PASC coding scheme, economics, subjective listener evaluation,
>etc., see the series of short articles in the April 91 Stereophile. I
>am doing subjective evaluations in experiments with a similar coding
>scheme (Musicam) in the digital audio broadcasting domain, and, I must
>say, the results are very impressive. Most listeners cannot tell the
>difference between an original CD and the PASC encoded version, even
>though the latter reduces the bit rate by a factor of 6!

And then it deserves to be mentioned that PASC for DCC has uses twice as
much data as MUSICAM for broadcasting. Philips has drawn (draws?) upon the
experience from broadcasting tests to use all that extra data to further
improve the already excellent performance of MUSICAM. This also makes the
signal more robust for multiple generation decoding/encoding copying and
people messing around wildly with the frequency response.

A question: Is the "18-bit" resolution hardwired into the system or is it
consequence of the resolution of the surrounding AD/DA converters?
The latter seems most likely but I have seen no solid data.

(Stereophile isn't imported to Sweden. How were the listening tests
conducted, and what were the results?)

                                                             Jonas Palm

PS. I'm posting this from the account of a friend.
Please don't hold him responsible.

My own E-mail adress is: OK3JONAS@SELDC52.BITNET
                         ok3jonas@gemini.ldc.se
  |  Anders Sundin          |  e-mail: sundinKC@dna.lth.se      |
  |  University of Lund     |          ok2aps@gemini.ldc.lu.se  |
  |  Organic Chemistry 2,   |          ok2aps@seldc52.bitnet    |
  |  P.O. Box 124           |   phone:  +46 46 108214           |
  |  S-22100 Lund, Sweden   |   fax:    +46 46 108209           |

bill%thd.tv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (William K. McFadden) (05/02/91)

In article <11578@uwm.edu> ggs@ulysses.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:

>I'll admit to a nagging feeling that I'd like to have the whole signal
>recorded, but it's not based on rational behavior.

This isn't as irrational as you might think.  The problem with the DCC
compression scheme is that signal degradation occurs with each
encoding.  Since the process isn't complementary (e.g., lossless), even
digital copying will introduce additional loss (unless it's copied in
compressed form).  Since the SPDIF digital interface uses PCM encoding,
every digital copy will have to pass through another lossy
decode/encode.  After just a few generations, the artifacts may be
audible.

I think this is the real reason record companies like DCC.  High speed
duplication isn't that big of an issue these days.  It's done with
video tapes all the time.  The inability to make perfect copies is what
they really want.

BTW, I have heard demos of MUSICAM and other compression schemes.  They
all sounded very good, certainly better than any analog noise reduction
system I've heard.  However, even my non-golden ears could hear
artifacts.  Solo castanets is the best test signal I've heard for
exploiting the weaknesses of the systems.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

winalski@psw.enet.dec.com (Paul S. Winalski) (05/06/91)

In article <11685@uwm.edu>,
bill%thd.tv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (William K. McFadden) writes that DCC will
require an encode/decode for each digital copy, with information loss at
each step.

Are DCC decks, then, only going to have SPDIF digital interfaces, which
have this signal loss property, or will there be another digital interface,
usable for DCC->DCC copies, that just sends over the encoded bits?

--PSW

bill@thd.tv.TEK.COM (William K. McFadden) (05/09/91)

In article <11820@uwm.edu> winalski@psw.enet.dec.com (Paul S. Winalski) writes:
>In article <11685@uwm.edu>,
>bill%thd.tv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (William K. McFadden) writes that DCC will
>require an encode/decode for each digital copy, with information loss at
>each step.
>
>Are DCC decks, then, only going to have SPDIF digital interfaces, which
>have this signal loss property, or will there be another digital interface,
>usable for DCC->DCC copies, that just sends over the encoded bits?

As far as I know, they will only have the SPDIF connectors.  Of course,
given enough demand, the manufacturers might be willing to include a
direct DCC-to-DCC mode for copying, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Remember, DCC was designed to be a format for the masses.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@tv.tv.tek.com,           {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill