[rec.audio.high-end] Turntable recommendations needed

tmajni@sequent.com (05/09/91)

I am looking for a good used turntable.  I will probably be using a high
output MC cartridge which may have some bearing on the arm selected.
Here are the tables I have considered:

      Used Oracle Delphi Mark II with Fidelity Research arm
      Used Sota Sapphire III with MMT arm, vacume mat, flywheel
      Used Sota Sapphire III with MMT arm
      New Well-Tempered turntable (can't find one used, pricey)
      New VPI Mark III w/ MMT arm (none used, pricey)

Other tables I considered, but rejected as too "Mid-Fi":

      New Rega Planar 3 with Rega arm
      New VPI Jr with PT5 arm

I would like to spend less than $1000 for a table with arm and cartridge.
Any comments on these tables or suggestions as to others I should consider
are greatly welcome.

rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) (05/13/91)

In article <11992@uwm.edu> tmajni@sequent.com writes:
>I am looking for a good used turntable.  I will probably be using a high
>output MC cartridge which may have some bearing on the arm selected.
>Here are the tables I have considered:
>
>      Used Oracle Delphi Mark II with Fidelity Research arm
>      Used Sota Sapphire III with MMT arm, vacume mat, flywheel
>      Used Sota Sapphire III with MMT arm
>      New Well-Tempered turntable (can't find one used, pricey)
>      New VPI Mark III w/ MMT arm (none used, pricey)

This is quite a good sample. In your price range (which I personally
regard as the optimal price-performance point for turntables) I don't
think you can do better with any other models (eg Linn). Assuming
you're buying from a reputable dealer who will give you a warranty and
good service, and assuming that the used tables are significantly
cheaper than the new ones, I'd get one of the used ones; and among the
three used tables listed here, certainly the SOTA + vacuum is the
best. You should only buy the basic Sapphire if it's considerably less
money, or if you can get it with a better arm (an FMT, for instance,
or even an SME 3.9). Be sure the basic Sapphire comes with a clamp.
Oracle makes very nice tables which are easily the most stylish of the
bunch, but I'd have to rate SOTA a little higher sonically.

I would *not* buy a used turntable without some kind of warranty,
however.