[rec.audio.high-end] Modications to Hafler preamp DH-101 Wanted.

johnt@sdd.hp.com (John Thomas) (05/06/91)

Does anyone know any modications for a Halfer DH-101 preamp.  Please post

moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) (05/08/91)

Audio by Van Alstine out in Minnesota has a few levels of upgrade for
Hafler -101s.  Give them a call.  (612-890-3517)

Len Moskowitz

tmurphy%peruvian@hellgate.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (05/08/91)

In article <11819@uwm.edu> johnt@sdd.hp.com (John Thomas) writes:
>Does anyone know any modications for a Halfer DH-101 preamp.  Please post

I most highly recommend the Musical Concepts modifications for the
DH-101.  The supermod IIIN is $175 kit and $270 installed.  It
consists of a major power section over-haul, and several changes to
the amplification sections.  You will find your pre-amp to be much
more musical, focused, and with a new found sense of staging.  You can
call MC at 314-831-1822.  Or mail me for more comments.

      Murph                     "Government that governs the least

gap5444@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Priddy) (05/11/91)

In article <11946@uwm.edu>, moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) writes...

>Audio by Van Alstine out in Minnesota has a few levels of upgrade for
>Hafler -101s.  Give them a call.  (612-890-3517)

While it may or may not be of concern to the original poster, Audio by Van
Alstine does not modify Hafler products as much as they engineer their own
designs from the ground up and install them in Hafler chassis'.  They do
make use of the original switches, pots and power transformers.

AVA would rather leave the expense of fabricating the sheet metal to
someone else and design and build the guts themselves.  Nothing wrong with
that...

-Greg

-*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*--
DISCLAIMER: Please don't hold |     Greg A. Priddy      Analex Corporation
my employer responsible for   |     (216) 977-0143      3001 Aerospace Pkwy
*my* opinions.                | -Supporting NASA LeRC-  Cleveland, OH 44142
-*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*--

sbhattac@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Shankar Bhattacharyya) (05/13/91)

In article <11819@uwm.edu> johnt@sdd.hp.com (John Thomas) writes:
>Does anyone know any modications for a Halfer DH-101 preamp.  Please post

In addition to the modifications provided by commercial establishments,
there was a pair of articles in 1980 in Audio Amateur. One dealt with
rewiring parts of the DH-101. That was mostly about eliminating a ground
loop, and shielding the phono leads, reducing the length of wiring involved
in the two-phono-source setup (which sacrifices one phono input), and
other such things. These reduced hum rather substantially, and essentially
eliminated cross-talk between high-level sources and the phono signal,
which is pretty bad in a stock DH-101.

The other article was about the guts of the preamp, and covered alteration
of the RIAA equalization, bypassing of coupling capacitors at various points,
and increasing the bias current in the phono section. This increased bias
was standard in the DH-101 from about 1980 on. The article also recommended
an improved power supply, and suggested some options.

I have done this to a couple of DH-101's, and the owners were rather
pleased with the results. My own preamp is a scratch-built implementation,
with on-board regulators, good capacitors, and most of the other obsessive
doo-dads. It is not the state of the art, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm not inclined to worry too much about the equalization. It makes a
difference, but I think that is generally pretty trivial compared to what a
pair of loudspeakers or a room can do.

If you are comfortable with a soldering iron, you can do all the
modifications in about one long afternoon. Collecting supplies is not
included.

Incidentally, if you do reach into the DH-101, you will find that some of
the transistors run distinctly hot. I suggest making yourself familiar
with that before you start messing around. They run hot enough that if you
don't know that it is normal, it can perturb you . It perturbed me, anyway.

- Shankar

mhk@racer.HQ.Ileaf.COM (05/15/91)

I'll second the reccommendation of Musical Concepts.

		but...

instead of the modification kit, get the MC-III board installed.
It does cost more, but sounds better. It is a dual-mono design
with seperate regulated power supplies for each channel.

My DH110 sounded very good after all the mods, matched transistors, and
teflon capacitors, but my MC-IIIT(eflon) sounds better. And if you really
want to do it right, do what I'm doing: putting the board in my own
chassis with Cardas jacks, EVS stepped attenuators, Cardas hook-up wire,
and an 8-amp outboard power supply.

If you want a really simple and cheap mod to the DH101, look in some
(far) back issues of Audio Amateur. There was at least one article
and the numerous follow-up letters. It won't sound as good as the
Musical Concepts mods, but it will sound better than stock.

Keep in mind that the DH101 is a cheap pre-amp (good for a spare) and
you won't be able to sell a modified unit for what's invested in it.