[rec.audio.high-end] pc audio programs archive

tmurphy%peruvian@hellgate.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (06/14/91)

Greetings Fellow Golden Ears,

	I have just setup with the help of our illustrious moderator's help
a anon archive of pc programs for audio.  There are currently four programs
available.  Snell.zip contains a speaker placement program developed by
Snell.  It takes room measurements and calculates resonant modes in the room
and give you back a listing of best, good, and better locations for your
speakers.  Placement.zip is a similar idea only from Allison and spreadsheet
based.  It is a lotus spreadsheet and I personally haven't been too succesful
with it though I haven't tried it with Lotus itself, just quattro and excel.
Boxdesin.zip is another spreadsheet (I have been able to get results on
several spreadsheets with) that does enclosure/frequency response calcs.
It does 2 and 4th order enclosures and is quite nice.  Loudsp.zip is also
a design program. It is standalone and does a bit more like crossover
design (2nd order passive). It requires a color monitor.  All of these
programs were obtained from Compuserve and are public-domain.  You can
get them by anon ftp from csd4.csd.uwm.edu in the high-audio/Software
directory.  I hope you find them useful and that we can build a nice
little library.

      murph

      Murph                     "Government that governs the least

drm2@mvuxn.att.com (David R Moran) (06/17/91)

In article <13094@uwm.edu> tmurphy%peruvian@hellgate.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) writes:
>Greetings Fellow Golden Ears,
>
>	I have just setup with the help of our illustrious moderator's help
>a anon archive of pc programs for audio.  There are currently four programs
>programs were obtained from Compuserve and are public-domain.  You can
>get them by anon ftp from csd4.csd.uwm.edu in the high-audio/Software
>directory.  I hope you find them useful and that we can build a nice
>little library.
>
>      murph

What a nice thing to do!

The Allison speaker placement program works very well and easily on 123
and gives truly useful and audible results. The only glitch I noticed
(although I am using a more recent version than what may be available
here) is that the intro talks about figuring the distances to the
3 nearest boundaries (front wall, side wall, floor) in feet whereas
you actualy enter the data in inches.

FYI, I believe the Snell version (like the Sitting Duck version) only
believes rooms resonate along L, W and H; it ignores LW, LH, and HW and
LWH. I may be mistaken in this but if it is the case then the program
is useless. I know the Sitting Duck program only does the 3 dimensional
modes for its computation and it is therefore useless.

Users more savvy than about spreadsheets have said the Allison program
works readily on Excel and Quattro but I cannot speak from experience...