[rec.audio.high-end] Subwoffer Driver Rec's Wanted...

shimizu@unix.sri.com (Dan Shimizu) (06/12/91)

Hi all,

My cohort and I are on our devilish way to become speaker
designers and we're trying to design a pair of subs to go
along with some sattelite speakers we are building.  I
prefer sealed box designs, so I don't have to go through the
hassle of tuning and estimating Ql (box loss) that is required
for vented box designs.  My question is what is a good driver
to use for a sealed sub?  I just heard about the Audio Concept
12" (AC12 Mk.2).  They sound good, does anyone have any experience
with these drivers?

On the other hand, what drivers are good for vented subs?

Thanks,
DAN

moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) (06/13/91)

The AC12 has gone through numerous changes and no one was able to give
me a set of T/S parameters that some other person didn't contradict.
I ended up with three sets and no one knew which was correct.  I'd
steer clear of this one.

Len Moskowitz

francis@chook.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan) (06/14/91)

In article <13024@uwm.edu>, shimizu@unix.sri.com (Dan Shimizu) writes:

|> My cohort and I are on our devilish way to become speaker
|> designers and we're trying to design a pair of subs to go
|> along with some sattelite speakers we are building.  I
|> prefer sealed box designs, so I don't have to go through the
|> hassle of tuning and estimating Ql (box loss) that is required
|> for vented box designs.  My question is what is a good driver
|> to use for a sealed sub?  I just heard about the Audio Concept
|> 12" (AC12 Mk.2).  They sound good, does anyone have any experience
|> with these drivers?

There is little problem about Ql really. It is easily measured
by determining the final Q of your box after it is built.
You need a signal generaror, counter, amp, accurate resistor
and a DMM accurate at low frequencies (not hard). I would
always measure the final box no matter what, sealed or vented.
Stuffing in a sealed box is very important too, and the
tolerances in both the driver you buy and the box you build mean
that it is very unlikley you will ever build a box first time out
that meets spec. Best trick is to build one to throw away (just
like software really :-). Choose a driver, and calculate the box
you figure you need, bang it together out of whatever comes to
hand. Make sure it is reasonably rigid and leak tight, but hey,
you can do this with no thought to cosmetics so it can be quick and
cheap. Measure the driver. Get your own TS parameters. (If you
decide on a sealed box, you will need to put a vent in the box
for some measurments, and later seal it up again. You can tweak
to your hearts content. You will almost always find that the box
volume is wrong. Build the box oversize and add junk inside to get
it right (heavy books are good, so are bits of wood). The stuffing
will make a big difference. Once it is right THEN build it for real.
Measuring the system resonances and Q for real are very
good guides to how it will perform.

Personally I prefer a sealed system Q of .707. Try a Dynaudio
30W100. Not cheap but very nice. Big too.

					Francis Vaughan.

miker@polari.UUCP (Mike Ranta) (06/17/91)

In article <13024@uwm.edu> shimizu@unix.sri.com (Dan Shimizu) writes:

>My cohort and I are on our devilish way to become speaker
>designers and we're trying to design a pair of subs to go
>along with some sattelite speakers we are building.  I
>prefer sealed box designs, so I don't have to go through the
>hassle of tuning and estimating Ql (box loss) that is required
>for vented box designs.  My question is what is a good driver
>to use for a sealed sub?  I just heard about the Audio Concept
>12" (AC12 Mk.2).  They sound good, does anyone have any experience
>with these drivers?

I'm listening to a pair of AC12 subwoofers as I write this.  I have
tried several high quality 10" and 12" drivers in my quest for the
perfect subwoofer, and have to admit the AC12s come awfully close!

I like fast, clean, tight and solid bass down low without excessive
distortion or non-linearity at high levels.  The AC12s do this very
well in a sealed 4.0 cubic foot enclosure.  You can also use two
per side in an isobarik configuration in a 2.0 cubic foot enclosure
if you want to give up 3 db of efficiency (Audio Concepts does this
with one of their subwoofer kits).

They have a very linear cone suspension yet are reasonably resistant
to "bottoming" when driven hard.  With 150 watts driving each of them
in my system, the amp usually clips before the drivers complain.  They
are an honest 90 - 91db at 1 watt/1 meter.

My second choice (less expensive too) would be Madisound 10208 10"
drivers in a 1.5 - 2.0 cubic foot sealed enclosure.  They are a few
db less efficient and their 3db down point is a half octave or so
higher, but they have the same subjective "tight" sound and take
power well.

>On the other hand, what drivers are good for vented subs?

In my opinion, there are very few drivers that work well in vented
subwoofers.  On the computer, several look great, but in practice,
nearly all of them distort and/or bottom badly at frequencies well
above and below the tuning frequency of the enclosure when driven
hard.  You are also correct about having to second guess box losses
and other factors.  As you're probably aware, ported designs also
roll off at 12db per octave versus 6 for sealed systems.  For this
reason and the first one above, they do not respond to "EQ" well
if they require it (or the owner likes it).  There are exceptions
to all this, but you'll likely be happier with a good sealed system.

In article <13060@uwm.edu> moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) writes:

>The AC12 has gone through numerous changes and no one was able to give
>me a set of T/S parameters that some other person didn't contradict.
>I ended up with three sets and no one knew which was correct.  I'd
>steer clear of this one.

Interesting.  Are you referring to the folks at Audio Concepts not knowing
the Thiel and Small parameters?  My AC12s measured within 10% of the specs
published in their catalog and they are simply the best sealed box 12"
drivers I've ever come across.  I can also only say nice things about the
folks at Audio Concepts.

bill@verdix.com (William Spencer) (06/18/91)

in article <13024@uwm.edu>, shimizu@unix.sri.com (Dan Shimizu) says:

> I just heard about the Audio Concept
> 12" (AC12 Mk.2).  They sound good, does anyone have any experience
> with these drivers?

I got some AC10's recently. Sound pretty good I guess -- I still haven't
incorporated them into my main design yet though. I have a couple of complaints
though. They nicely don't glue on the front gasket so front mounting looks
better. But the foam surround actually sticks out in front of the frame
which can cause trouble. Even worse, the foam is caught between mounting
screws and the frame. Tightening the screw can cause the foam to be pulled
loose. I'm not sure how other speakers deal with this. Maybe the gasket just
keeps you from seeing the damage, I don't know, but I've never seen this
problem before.

I used a 2.77 cu. ft. box, stuffed. By attempting to avoid booming with a
low Q alignment I actually got more boom. The tuning is a low 32 Hz or so
but that is all but inaudible due to rolloff. Meanwhile, room and floor
effects cause booming in the 70-80 Hz region and suckout in the range above
that. Raising it makes the bass even leaner but lowering it helps. However,
only in subwoofer use can the low position work well in my experience. Too
much distance between the woofer and midrange results.

Porting seemed promising. Brought out that deep bass even in a marginal tuning.
>From my understanding it looks like this woofer is best suited to a tuning with
some peaking in the deep bass. If the room effect causes more peaking at a
higher frequency though the over all effect may be better in a subwoofer
application.

I have heard that these woofers are made by Carbonneau. The have their own line
which is both cheaper and possibly better including rubber surround types,
carbon impregnated poly cones, and heavy paper cones.

I don't know about multiple specs from Audio Concepts, but they have different
response graphs.
Of course they may all be right for
different samples and test methods. Carbonneau now includes computer
generated plots and real response curves in their documentation. The real
curves all look poorer than the simulated ones.

The Madisound woofers have fairly flimsy cones according to reports and my
own experience. They can still work well I guess. The Precision/Swan
woofers are not intended for sealed boxes but are better made from what I hear.
Don't know about the Eclipse (Meniscus?) woofers. Pyles are sort of a
compromise between the hi-fi types and sound reinforcement types and are good
in some applications.

The point about building an experimental box is a good one. You might be
better buying boxes also -- life is too short to spend
building very plain rectangular boxes. You can enclose drivers seperate for
more flexibility when experimenting. When you're ready for 2" thick
pyramids or whatever then you'll have to go custom.

Bill Spencer

P.S.  A couple of addresses:

Parts Express
340 E First St.
Dayton Ohio 45402
800 338 0531

Eminence (Cast, Regular, "Thruster"), Pioneer, Sanyo (CHEAP!), MG
("Professional" components, not credited to MG in catalog), a few Phillips
and Polydax components, Motorola (piezos)
Best prices within selection. Not "high-end" oriented. Also VCR parts and other
electronics, low cost boxes (including stage monitors).

MCM Electronics
650 Congress Park Dr.
Centerville Ohio 45459-4072
513 434 0031

Pyle, Electro-Voice (standard 12,15, and 18" only, at best prices), Pioneer,
MG, Pyramid. Also repair parts, meters, oscilloscopes. Reasonably priced
quality enclosures.
Caution, I have found some errors in specs given (1W/1M != 1W/1ft.)

Gold Sound
P.O. Box 141
Englewood, CO 80151
303 789 5310
Catalog $2

JBL, E-V, Gold Sound (serious), Audax, Morel, SEAS. Good prices.
Serious about "pro"
components. Catalog includes tiny response graphs for most drivers.

McGee Radio
1901 McGee St.
Kansas City, Missouri 64108-1891
816 842 5092
Orders 800 87MCGEE
Catalog $2

More expensive but some good bits. Polydax, Pyle (full line), Motorola (would
you believe a deal on a Piezo driver and an E-V horn combo?), E-V (near full
line), MTX.

Madisound Speaker Components
8608 University Green
Box 4283
Madison, Wisconsin 53711
608 831 3433

Peerless, Madisound (low cost, fairly flimsy but OK), Eclipse, Morel, KEF,
Vifa, Focal, Dynaudio, Eton, many crossover components. A few good kits.
*Catalog includes graphs, etc. for many drivers.*  Woodstyle enclosures.

Audio Concepts
901 S. 4th St.
La Crosse, WI 54601
800 346 9183
tech questions 608 784 4570

Kits, Dynaudio, Focal, SEAS (very limited selection of most popular pieces
on these 3), Audio Concepts (I called them, the JC12 subwoofer _really_
has an Xmax of 11 cm.!). Crossover components, speaker designs, info,
Loudspeaker Design Cookbooks.

A & S Speakers
3170 23rd St.
San Fransisco CA 94110
415 641 4573

Scan-Speak, VMPS (complete speakers AND drivers), Eton, Dynaudio,
Audax/Polydax, Eminence (short list), Focal, Morel, Peerless, MB-electronics
(titanium dome tweeters), Phillips, SEAS, Nelson-Reed, Crossover parts &
assemblies, Woodstyle cabinets. Speaker designs.

SRS Enterprises "The Speaker Shop"
318 S. Wahsatch Ave.
Colorado Springs, Co. 80903
719 475 2545

Pyle, Pioneer. Prices good.
Full Pyle line.

Carbonneau
609 Myrtle N.W.
Grand Rapids Michigan 49504
616 456 9528

3 lines of woofers: 20% graphite reinforced polypropylene cone with
foam suspension, same with rubber suspension (lower frequency & efficiency),
and treated paper cone with rubber. Includes dual voice coil subwoofers.
Range 5.25" to 12". Good prices. Caution: my catalog has "preliminary" specs.

Zalytron Industries
469 Jericho Turnpike
Mineola, NY 11501
516 747 3515

Polydax, Siare, Vieta, SEAS, Dynaudio, Focal, Cabasse, Phillips, Zalytron,
crossover compenents, etc.

Transducer Technology
(Division of Watters Sound Wave Co.)
4320 Spring Valley Rd.
Dallas, TX 75244
214 991 6994

Cabasse (full line of concave diaphram/dome drivers), Accuton (Thiel GmbH,
not the other Thiel; very neutral concave _ceramic_ dome mids and tweeters)
Vieta, Audiom by Focal (professional Focal line,
pricey), Stage Accompany (professional ribbon/leaf drivers, woofers, systems,
pricey), Tekton (sub-bass)

sbhattac@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Shankar Bhattacharyya) (06/18/91)

In article <13174@uwm.edu> miker@polari.UUCP (Mike Ranta) writes:

>>On the other hand, what drivers are good for vented subs?
>
>In my opinion, there are very few drivers that work well in vented
>subwoofers.  On the computer, several look great, but in practice,
>nearly all of them distort and/or bottom badly at frequencies well
>above and below the tuning frequency of the enclosure when driven
>hard.  You are also correct about having to second guess box losses
>and other factors.  As you're probably aware, ported designs also
>roll off at 12db per octave versus 6 for sealed systems.  For this
>reason and the first one above, they do not respond to "EQ" well
>if they require it (or the owner likes it).  There are exceptions
>to all this, but you'll likely be happier with a good sealed system.

I agree that closed boxes have the merit that they are almost impossible to
mess up entirely, and so they make a most desirable way to enter the world
of low bass. But good vented boxes are possible. I don't know much about
vented boxes, so I will refrain from making too many specific
recommendations, but many of Madisound's drivers look as if they were
designed for vented boxes. Audio Concepts seems to lean towards sealed
boxes, if their selection of drivers is any indication.

The Eton drivers are designed for vented boxes (thanks, Seth), and the
Dynaudio 30W54 works in one, although it requires rather large internal
volume.

For what it is worth, the 30W54 cannot produce F3 below 40 hz in a sealed
box without bass boost. In a B4 alignment, without any equalization at all,
the F3 would be in the neighbourhood of 25 hz, depending on the sample.

The reason vented systems bottom is that they are wildly unprotected below
resonance. This suggests the need for some subsonic filtering. Sixth order
alignments provide this "for free", and may solve many of the complaints
people have about vented boxes. Seth Bradley and Len Moskowitz have posted
information on building such systems using the Precision TA305, and its
successors, which achieve serious bass at serious spl.

Also, the question of whether vented boxes or sealed ones have lower bass
is open to discussion. While sealed boxes roll off with shallower slope
below their F3, their F3 is significantly higher than driver Fs. For a
vented box, in a B4 alignment, F3 is about the same as Fs. I am not making
any cosmic inferences based on this, but it is something to think about.

I have stuck with sealed boxes, and the related aperiodic designs,
basically because they are easy. I confess to some prejudice against vented
systems, but I know that my prejudice is not well-founded. If you are
prepared to biamp (and most woofer users are eventually likely to), adding
the low frequency filtering is not a pain.

- Shankar