[rec.audio.high-end] Tech Details on DCC, DAT, CD, wanted please: SUMMARY

u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) (06/24/91)

This is a summary of replies that I have received with regards to my
request for sources of technical data on Dat, DCC and CD Formats.
Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate the help.
The last one was an old news article, which I thought relevant and
thus included here for completeness.

Michael.

>From: jpb@calmasd.Prime.COM (Jan Bielawski)

	Regarding the CD and the DAT format (as well as DASH, Pro-Digi,
and others, but *not* DCC) check the book by John Watkinson:

	The Art of Digital Audio  (2nd revised reprint)

Also Ken Pohlmann has a book called "Principles of Digital Audio" (2nd ed.
has more on DAT) but it's less technical than John Watkinson's.

>From: SDT1@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Steven D. Toteda)

I just finished reading an article on the subject in the June 1st-7th
Economist (p.  63, 1991).  It is very informative (as the Economist
tends to be).  Not very technical but insightful.  Call the author.
Good luck.

>From: alioshin@unix.sri.com (Paul Alioshin)

First off, I'll assume you've gone through the AES Journals.
(The Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.)

_The Art of Digtal Audio_ by John Watkinson is a very good book.

The headline article in the May 1991 _Stereophile_ is about compression
schemes and how horrible a thing they are. (Not technical.)

I was involved in a Digital Audio Broadcast system design that we
showed at the NAB a month, or so ago.  We, of course, used a compression
scheme.  The Musicam Compression algorithm is published and you
could probably find it.  There's a company in New Jersy called CCS
that built musicam for us.  They may be able to help.

>From: kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard)

Check the IEEE Signal Processing Society - ASSP ther journals have some
good info.  You should also try journals from the AES - Audio Engr.
Society and any put out by the EBU - European Broadcast Union.

>From: tfb@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Fred Burch)

An excellent, non-technical reference for the older digital techniques is

Watkinson, John.
  The art of digital audio / John Watkinson. -- London ; Boston : Focal Press,
1988.
  489 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
  Includes bibliographies and index.
  ISBN 0-240-51270-7 :
 SUBJECT HEADINGS (Library of Congress; use s= ):
     Sound--Recording and reproducing--Digital techniques.

>From: ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec)
Subject: Re: What's up with RDAT?

For an excellent overview of DCC (Philips), including elucidation of
the PASC coding scheme, economics, subjective listener evaluation,
etc., see the series of short articles in the April 91 Stereophile. I
am doing subjective evaluations in experiments with a similar coding
scheme (Musicam) in the digital audio broadcasting domain, and, I must
say, the results are very impressive. Most listeners cannot tell the
difference between an original CD and the PASC encoded version, even
though the latter reduces the bit rate by a factor of 6!