[rec.audio.high-end] Need power regulator recommendations

cstokely@decwrl.dec.com (06/24/91)

It's time for me to do something about the power to my audio system.

I have 1.2Kwatts of power (total in 2 Bryston amps), a
Bryston pre-amp, Infinity cross-over net, a Cal Audio CD player, and
some fine speakers. All the peripherals' power cords are
plugged into the pre-amp, and the pre-amp and 2 amps are plugged into a
power strip. (it used to be a surge protector, but the local power
company took care of that recently with a nice powerline furball.) The
power strip is plugged into (ahem) a 3-prong adapter which goes into
the 2-hole wall socket.

What do you think of voltage regulators or something just short of a
UPS for this system? Got any to recommend? What about the 3-prong
adapter? It has a copper braid to the wall box, which seems to have a
ground attached.  Should I really just have an electrician come give me
a grounded 3-prong separate circuit for audio?

When I power on the amps (1 at a time), there is a definate dimming of
the lights, and some time the refrigerator even coughs. (love these old
homes ;-)

What is the reasonable solution to the power delivery? I'm sure I'll
hear the difference in the speakers. What is the ultimate solution,
assuming money were not much of an object? (short of my own substation,
of course.)

Looking forward to an ozone-free discussion,

..Celeste Stokely
cstokely@btr.com

miker@polari.UUCP (Mike Ranta) (06/25/91)

In article <13357@uwm.edu> btr!cstokely@decwrl.dec.com writes:

>It's time for me to do something about the power to my audio system.

>What do you think of voltage regulators or something just short of a
>UPS for this system? Got any to recommend? rong

I do not recommend voltage regulators.  They operate by "stepping"
between multiple transformer taps as the input voltage and/or load
varies.  Each time the device steps to the next tap, there is a small
but abrupt jump up or down in the voltage.  These jumps alone are a
source of noise and sonic problems.  The popular Tripp-Lite units sold
for audio use operate exactly this way.  They also will probably degrade
the power output of your Bryston amps which require a great deal of
current--more perhaps than even the large Tripp-Lite unit can provide.

When you push your amp hard, the regulator is going to be actively
stepping between taps somewhat in step with the music to try and
respond to the rapidly changing load the amps are presenting.  This
has to be far worse than the minor variations that may be on your
power line.

The transformer(s) in your amps already provide isolation from the power
line.  The large filter capacitors go a long way toward removing noise,
minor variations, etc.  And in the case of Bryston amps, I believe the
gain stages are already electronically regulated.  To make a long story
short, I cannot believe an external regulator or other magic power
conditioner is going to help anything.

I do, however, highly suggest a good surge supressor.  The stand alone
variety for about $50 (versus the ones built into power strips) are the
way to go and many have lifetime warranties along with built in monitoring
circuits.  Some even warrant the equipment connected to them.  The good
ones will survive many "hits" from your local power company.  These devices
also remove some RFI from the line which can't hurt.

>Should I really just have an electrician come give me
>a grounded 3-prong separate circuit for audio?

If your outlet is really grounded through the center screw, you should be
ok.  Even without a ground, most audio systems are happy.  The ground is
important for the surge supressor to work correctly, however.

>When I power on the amps (1 at a time), there is a definate dimming of
>the lights, and some time the refrigerator even coughs. (love these old
>homes ;-)

The lights dimming when your large amps power up is normal.  They are
drawing hundreds of amps to charge the filter caps in less than a second.
Obviously, heavier wiring (and more direct runs to the power panel) help
this problem but are usually not practical.

>What is the reasonable solution to the power delivery? I'm sure I'll
>hear the difference in the speakers. What is the ultimate solution,
>assuming money were not much of an object? (short of my own substation,
>of course.)

I can suggest only that you use a good surge supressor, make sure the outlet
is grounded, and if you want to spend more money, put the audio system on
it's own 20 amp 12 gauge circuit.  Will you hear a difference?  Probably
not, but you can sleep better knowing the equipment is safer.  Will you
hear a difference with a regulator?  Yes, it will probably sound worse!

Finally, I'm sure some of you out there believe power regulation is a
wonderful thing, and I'm just waiting for the flames.  This is only my
opinion represented above, but as a designer of power amplifiers and
a devout audiophile, I'm fairly comfortable with my comments.

miker@polari.uucp

bms89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Scally BM) (06/26/91)

 By the sound of it a complete rewire could be in order, failing that a
dedicated line for the HI.FI. would be a good idea, this would be easiest.

 My experiance of dedicated lines.....

 When my parents last moved I managed to perswade them to let me put in a
 line for the system (tar Mum). I didnt realy notice the difference untill
 (in the same house) a rewire forced me to lose it. This was a subtle but
great loss.

  Power conditioners....

   The best ones I have tried (in the UK) are made by Lynwood electronics
there are other brands, I have a suspision that the each system may
respond differently to different power conditioners. He does make a 1K2W
version

    Tigger

bms89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Scally BM) (06/26/91)

 I'm about to ramble again.....

 In my opinion most powersupplies are very capable of coping
 with LF modulation of their source (mains). The harmonics
commonly incountered due to hystersis in the core are again
at relatively low frequencies up to about 5th at low levels.
 HF noie- due to the increased use of switch mode powersuplies
and the surges caused by diode conduction present lots of HF noise.
 Standard powersupply electolytics are not that good at handeling
this.

 Thus in a well built amplifier there will be devices to remove the
HF noise thus preventing it from causing distortion to the signals.

 So far so good... no flames yet???

 Due to cost cutting pre transformer hf filters, and post transformer
bypass filters are often left out.

 Consider the specifications though..

 This devige has to 'repell' noise down to 7K (at low levels
 at the bottom frequency) yet be capable of responding to
current transients at up to 20K. Hummm

 A tad of a design problem I fancy.

 Any help will of course benafit the sound but to much control
will strangle the life out of the system.

  QUERIES

 Has anyone ever tried there system on it's own generator??

  Sugestions..

 A device that filters and rectifies the mains and then
modulates it at a constant frequency (50/60hz) with
enough power to run an amplifier (or two..) you are right
this is getting silly. Such devices are available..
for turntables as well...

 Why not just go and get a nice line from the electricity
board... remove nasty transients on the way to a good size
transformer, nice not to noisy diodes, good smothing
and there you are. with a good powersupply. and hopefully
good sound.

  That is how it should be but for economies....

 Tigger

miker@polari.UUCP (Mike Ranta) (06/27/91)

In article <13454@uwm.edu> bms89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Scally BM) writes:

> I'm about to ramble again.....

(good stuff deleted...)

> Thus in a well built amplifier there will be devices to remove the
>HF noise thus preventing it from causing distortion to the signals.
>
> Due to cost cutting pre transformer hf filters, and post transformer
>bypass filters are often left out.

Power amps usually have at least an RFI supression capacitor on the
secondary of the power transformer.  The transformer itself also provides
a great deal of attenuation.

> Consider the specifications though..
>
> This devige has to 'repell' noise down to 7K (at low levels
> at the bottom frequency) yet be capable of responding to
>current transients at up to 20K. Hummm
>
> A tad of a design problem I fancy.

This is not the case.  The filter capacitors in an amplifier cause the
input current to be very low frequency.  If you put a small value
resistor in series with the AC line and monitor the current waveform
with a scope (watch out for common mode voltage) you will see a very
low frequency waveform (typically far less than 100 hz).  We're talking
about orders of magnitude here which makes filtering an easy task.

> Any help will of course benafit the sound but to much control
>will strangle the life out of the system.

This is not true.  While RF junk on the line can certainly cause audibile
side effects, the filters themselves, unless they inhibit current at a
few hundred hertz (which would take a HUGE inductor) do not create any
problems of their own.

(More stuff deleted...)

> A device that filters and rectifies the mains and then
>modulates it at a constant frequency (50/60hz) with
>enough power to run an amplifier (or two..) you are right
>this is getting silly. Such devices are available..
>for turntables as well...

This would be powering an amplifier from essentially another
amplifier--your're right, that is silly.

The moral of all this remains the same:  A good RFI filter and surge
supressor between all of your audio equipment and the wall is a good
investement and certainly can't hurt.  A dedicated circuit for your
system may also be of benefit.  Anything else, however, is either
unnecessary or possibly even detrimental.