[rec.audio.high-end] Power Conditioners, Audio Power in general

chrisc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Chris Christensen) (06/27/91)

There seems to be a lot of interest in mains supplies for audio and I
thought that I would throw in my two cents.

I have a sound system that amp specs indicate a total of 2600 watts.
This is RMS and doesn't include and peak capability.  I usually spec
two decidated 30 amp mains supply.  I have run the system on two 20
amp circuits.

If one believes that a well designed amplifier has an efficiency of
50% that the peak power draw fron the mains would be (in my case) 5200
watts and that translates to about 42 amps at 125 volts (no power
factor correction included to keep it simple), so two 30 amp mains
circuits work well for me and thats how I get away with it on
two 20's......

Some of my colleagues have suggested that an audio power amp can draw
4 times the RMS rating on peaks.

The above discussion applies to "analog" power supplies for audio
power amps.

It has been my experience that there is no substitute for raw power.

My suggestion to those concerned is to have a dedicated mains supply
for the audio system.  This circuit should be of the heaviest guage
pratical and a home run to the main power box feeding the house.

The reasoning behind this is to have the lowest impedance supply to
the lowest impedance source.

I located my studio in a berdoom that my sons vacated when we added on
to the house,  the mains sypply just hapened to be located on the
outside wall of that room.  I have glitch free power in the room due
to the fact that I am in a dedicated home run to the house power box.

I believe that my suggestions will provide the best possible "sonic"
results as well as minimise the dimming of the lights in the house.

Chris Christensen

jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (06/28/91)

In article <13497@uwm.edu> chrisc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Chris Christensen) writes:

>If one believes that a well designed amplifier has an efficiency of
>50% that the peak power draw fron the mains would be (in my case) 5200
>watts and that translates to about 42 amps at 125 volts (no power
>factor correction included to keep it simple), so two 30 amp mains
>circuits work well for me and thats how I get away with it on
>two 20's......

	This calculation assumes a duty cycle off 100%, which very few
amplifiers or speakers are capable of sustaining. As 50% is more the
rule, halving the power spec here would have very little effect on
system performance. This spec also ignores the leveling effect of the
capacitors in the amplifier power supply. The only application where
this much power would be needed that I've run across would be if
you were using Carver amplifiers which don't use filter capacitors,
and as this group is for high-end audio, I wouldn't think Carver would
enter into the discussion. ( Check out the damping factor on a PM1.5a )
	Having a separate feed for the audio system is still a good idea,
and using heavier than normal gauge wire is also a good idea, but using
the larger breakers is a waste of $ and panel capacity.

	John Henders
	Vancouver,B.C.