[sci.virtual-worlds] clarification about the data glove

velasco%beowulf@ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (04/10/90)

well!hlr@well.sf.ca.us (Howard Rheingold) writes:

>I've played with the dataglove a fair amount, and unless they have
>come up with something startling and new, the glove does NOT simulate
>textures.

I have never had the chance of using a data glove or even seeing one close up.
The first time that I ever read about it, the article mentioned that the
fingers had some sort of "bubbles" in the tips of them that could be "inflated"
to provide tactile feedback.  I was under the impression that they were
something like reverse bubble membrane keys that worked by peizo-electronics.
Are there more than one version of the data glove, or is it just that the
tactile feedback provided is not good enough to simulate textures, or was the
article that I read wrong?

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |