[sci.virtual-worlds] Cyberdesk: First round Discussion by mail

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (06/07/90)

The following is the first interactive mail I've had with someone
who's just checked out my Cyberdesk sketchbook.  Updates follow.

----

Subject: Re:  Cyberdesk design specs...

Ok.  Just got back from sunny England so sorry if this is a bit
delayed.

>   OK, now that I've gotten and reviewed your specs for the Cyberdesk,
>I'll make some comments.  (did you say, "by Tildatoy" ?)

That's my Company, fledgling though it is at the moment.

>   Preliminarily:  Though I have read Gibson's works (e.g. Neuromancer,
>Count Zero, etc.), I have neither participated in the mainstream of net
>cyberspace talks, nor have I recieved much information on the topic besides
>that recently mentioned in 'sci.virtual-worlds', so I am not aware of any
>particular design moves that may be specifically for some variety of the
>'cyberspace' paradigm beyond the "Gibsonian" ideal (and my own opinions,
>of course ;-).

Good fictions, but hardly practical.  Current mainstream Cyberinterfacing
deals with wearing cumbersome helmets and suits.

>   First comment:  The structure of your Cyberdesk is quite functional from
>current network and graphics workstation standards (and projects into
>new standards or representations that could be used quite well), and even
>though it does not directly use the upcoming VR paradigm, it is quite close
>(you did say from a sitting postition, I'll grant you), and that appears
>to be the only one that might even be a problem (depending on how 3-d
>viewing is implemented).

This desk was designed with the idea of making a workspace from which
programmers could generate the software tools necessary before Gibson
like devices can be a reality.  It is an interm solution but a very
feasable one.

>   Second comment:  I agree with the basic advantages you listed, but what
>about convenience?  Even though it useable, how convenient (and how efficient
>for useage) is it?  I would have to defer to someone for this analysis (and
>it appears that you have addressed this, plus you do work in a hardware
>lab ;-), but it has to be asked, or is that what you mean by 'dignified'.

Each component of this modular system can be isolated or mixed and
matched with others for a variety of applications.  The minimum config
I see is to have a 'Cyberchair' and a PC with a few more video boards than
usual.  The CHUV is the minimum system neeeded to run any programs developed,
however to do any significant software development at speed, the feedback
arm and databall would be necessary.  As for convenience, wherever you
can fit a lazyboy chair, you could fit a CHUV equipped chair.  It is
on rollers after all.

By 'dignified' I refer to an incident I saw at last years Sigraph show in
Boston.  Two people were equipped with datagloves and virtual helmets
which they could not see through.  They tryed to 'shake' hands in cyberspace
and were doing very well until one of them touched a real wall.  He jerk
reflexed, lost control and hurt himself badly falling off the stage.  He
fell like a stick puppet, his eyes not giving him the information he
needed to save himself bruises.

At the time, all I could think was "Bad design! Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad!
No biscuit."

Dignified refers to the ability to interact easily and in full control
of your environment without fear.  Keying on your ability to suspend
your disbelief to make your virtual environment as real as you need to suit
your mood.  My desk allows for this handsomely.

>   Next comment:  The environment seems somewhat cluttered with the interface
>hardware (I don't mean cramped or disorganized).  There seems an inordinate
>amount of interfaces, and even though this more-or-less covers the spectrum
>(minus a couple of very special cases), one wonders if they could not be
>integrated into a whole (it seems like enough hardware for two people).
>This is, I think, more a matter of personal preference than a real problem,
>as I am a great lover of elegant simplicity in solutions.  Also, there
>is also an argument for keeping various bits of hardware around (such as
>the mouse, etc., which I am sure that you addressed) in case one would not
>be used to the "general interface" that I would be implying.  Ah, well, one
>has to dream.

As mentioned, you can add as many devices as you need.  The environment
was put together after talking to a variety of Computer Graphics designers
and animators.  I combined this with my own considerable CAD experience
to make an environment which would cover all bases, as well as being
both forward and backwards compatible with everything that currently
cranks a byte.

>   In summation, I have to say that as a general solution, your desk is
>a fairly good one.  It seems to me (in my rush for generalized interfaces :-)
>that if you were going to have the specialized hardware for the graphics
>engines anyway, why not just make a VR workstation with a compact video helmet,
>datagloves, and a workstation box with a terminal (or some such), although this
>would not give force feedback like you were planning.

Dignity, my boy.  Dignity.  See above.

In any case, everybody (so far as I've checked) is working on body
mounted interfaces and it makes for a 'pilot/programmer' arrangement
which although effective, is a bitch.  How would you ever use it at
home?  Ultimately I know that a very lightweight helmet could be
sold for a majority of applications, but there are even less
solid design parameters for it than a manned mission to Mongo.
This desk should be built because it's a Standards setter.  It's easy
to use, very possible technologically and won't mess your hair like
a helmet.  Force feedback was considered by the poll of people I talked to
as 'manditory'.  They want it bad and so do I.

Thanx for your comments.  Hopefully others will reply.  I'll post
when I get further info.  Can I have your permission to post this baby
on sci.virtual.worlds?  I'd like to generate further mayhem.

Is all.

-----

Needless to say, posted with permission.

Is really all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1