[sci.virtual-worlds] cyberspace vs. virtual reality

schatz@cs.arizona.edu (Bruce Schatz) (06/08/90)

In article <rose.644704252@beowulf> rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) writes:
>I, too, have been puzzled by the tendency to equate virtual
>reality with cyberspace.  In William Gibson's books (where the
>term originated), cyberspace seems to be an alternate reality
>that has emerged from an enormously complex global network of
>computers.  ...   cyberspace is
>the real world of data, not a simulated world for people.
>
>On the other hand, all of these virtual reality devices (involving
>gloves, goggles, etc.) produce the illusion of being in a different,
>perhaps imaginary place. ...

I couldn't agree more.  Making the (data comprising) the real world
transparently accessable to people is a different problem than providing
a complete (touchable) simulation of an artificial world.  Oddly enough,
the terms "virtual world" and "virtual reality" seem to have merged, with
the goal of creating an artificial world that permits real-world-like
interaction.  Perhaps this distinction will separate when the technology
for creating artificial worlds becomes far more sophisticated and, rather
than the current small toy examples, it will become possible to create
virtual worlds which permit direct manipulation of real world knowledge
embedded within some abstract classification scheme that allows people
to effectively navigate through it all.  Hopefully, these rich virtual
worlds will still permit the interface of a virtual reality.

As someone who has been working on the first problem for many years, I
can assert that the technology is nearly at the stage to make significant
cultural changes in specialized domains.  A number of years ago,
I coined the word "telesophy" to indicate a system that supports transparent
manipulation of knowledge across wide-spread networks in the same sense that
"telephony" supports transparent manipulation of sound.  Having built several
small prototypes on local area networks of bitmapped workstations, I was
able to demonstrate the feasibility of rapid browsing of large amounts of
multimedia information (text, graphics, images, video) transparently over
networks.  I am now involved in constructing the first large-scale
"information space".  This will encompass "all" the knowledge of a
specialized scientific community, that comprising the molecular biologists
who study the nematode worm C. elegans, and include experimental data
(gene phenotypes, physical maps, DNA sequences), literature information
(abstracts, articles, newsletters), and informal knowledge (method protocols,
intermediate results, electron micrographs).  The software will enable a
biologist with a bitmapped personal computer or workstation anywhere on the
NREN (National Research Network: NSFNET, Internet) to transparently display and
edit the remote information.  Sharing within this electronic
scientific community will be supported by providing commands for grouping the
existing information into new categorizations and forging new connections
between existing items.  When this project is complete in several years, I hope
that it might provide an example of how a virtual world can be constructed that
supports real world data and permits a new style of thinking to emerge from
sharing within the electronic community.

        Bruce Schatz
        Director, Computer & Biological Systems Laboratory, Univ of Arizona
        schatz@cs.arizona.edu