[sci.virtual-worlds] Data Glove Feedback

klw11037@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/18/90)

Some time back, there was a note discussing feedback in data gloves and
data suits. Along the line of data gloves, does anyone know of work being
done with electro-rheologic fluids as part of a feedback system? There has
been some interest in them for various mechanical systems of late, and they
might be useable to provide a controllable viscous damping form of feedback.

I fully admit that I know very little about electro-rheologics.

If that were possible, then combining that with a set of several nitinol wires
running down the front and back of the fingers with a critical temperature set
several degrees above body temp and acting as electrically controlled springs
would seem to be a way to simulate the resistance of various objects to being
grasped. An array of several of the wires along each finger would allow a
varied response to movement that could increase spring force as the deflection
of the finger increased, in the case of say a rubber ball, or, as in the case
of crushing a paper cup, increasing back pressure up to a yield point and then
partial release. Nitinol can generate a fair bit of force when returning to
it's initial shape, and reacts quite quickly to temperature over it's critical
temperature, especially in a thin wire. The cool down time to go back below the
the critical temperature might be a problem, I don't know whether it would be
fast enough.

Comments?

If I'm talking nonsense, then please let me know:-).

Kyle Webb

auric2@hardy.u.washington.edu (Eric Vondergeest) (08/21/90)

In article <138900001@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> klw11037@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Some time back, there was a note discussing feedback in data gloves and
>data suits. Along the line of data gloves, does anyone know of work being
>done with electro-rheologic fluids as part of a feedback system? There has
>
>Kyle Webb

I thought part of the problem with force-feedback was concern for the
safety of the user.  Mechanical devices are bulky and could possibly
pinch the user in undesirable ways, and the fluids you speak of intro-
duce the problem of more electricity that could possibly shock the
user.  What interested me was a report of some sort of gelatinous
substance that contracted in the presence of visible light, reported
in the Wall Street Journal on or around 8/17/90.  Would it be feasible
to construct an exo-muscular system into a data glove or a body suit?

klw11037@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/24/90)

Was there anything in the article on the percentage of total length that it
contracted and the amount of force that it could exert? Was the light the
only power source, or was there another source with light simply the trigger?
Speed of response would be another factor.

True that user safety is a major concern. The problem is to exert enough
force to stop a preempted motion (e.g. squashing a construct that is
representing a steel bar) but not being able to apply the force in such
a way as to injure or stop desired movement. My idea with the combination
of nitinol springs and variable viscous damping was that the spring system
could be made weak enough that it would be strong enough to halt motion
with the viscous damping turned on, but not by itself.

I don't know about the voltages involved in controlling electro-rheologics.
I'll try to find out.

Kyle Webb