[net.space] Shuttle Articles in Discover Magazine

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (11/25/85)

I just read Discover magazine's November 1985 issue.  It has a series
of three articles on the space shuttle.  The cover is a picture of the
shuttle floating in orbit, with the quote: "The shuttle is a superb
technological achievement, and it's flown by brave, immensely competent
men and women...   But what is it good for?"  Lest you think the issue
was put together by anti-space Luddites, that quote is from the third
article, by Gerard O'Neill.  (O'Neill's Geostar company is going to
launch its satellites using Ariane.)

The first article was on the history and economics of the shuttle.  I
was appalled.  The shuttle is an economic failure to dwarf the Concorde.

First of all, it hasn't reached its design payload capacity (ever
wondered why the payload bay is so empty?) of 65000 pounds.  That's
going to require increasing the thrust on the SSME's to 109% of rated
capacity, and that has proved difficult to achieve (it's going to cost
around a billion dollars more to do it).  Current maximum payload is
around 47000 pounds.

Second, it's expensive.  The average full cost minus development cost
of a shuttle launch is $108 million.  That's $2298 per pound at present
or, when the engines are improved, $1662 per pound.  Throwing in
development cost raises the cost another $42 million.  In contrast,
former NASA administrator James Fletcher estimated in 1972 that a Saturn-V
costs $1677 (in 1985 dollars) to put a pound into orbit.  Incredibly, NASA
has spent $14 billion and ten years and has no improvement in launch
costs to show for it.

Third, it can't recoup operating expenses, much less development costs,
because of foreign competition.  NASA can only charge $71 million for a
fully dedicated flight, and doesn't even get that much for most flights.
This situation can only get worse as new, more efficient, versions of
foreign rockets are developed.

What NASA should do is learn from the shuttle experience and design an
improved shuttle with better economics.  But no, they're going to build
a space station.  I can take solace in the fact that the europeans are
working on shuttle-like vehicles (Hermes and HOTOL) and you can bet
they will learn from NASA's mistakes.

For the shuttle, things could become grim in a few years if fiber
optics really depresses the market for communications satellites, and
if DOD decides to build a new expendable booster as backup for the
shuttle.

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (11/28/85)

In article <8511251341.AA17196@s1-b.arpa> dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) writes:
>I just read Discover magazine's November 1985 issue...
>"The shuttle is a superb
>technological achievement, and it's flown by brave, immensely competent
>men and women...   But what is it good for?"

Sound like the sort of cover quote designed to sell magazines...
(and it worked -- you bought one, didn't you?)

>What NASA should do is learn from the shuttle experience and design an
>improved shuttle with better economics.

Why?  They've already spent a lot of money developing something that works.
You're suggesting they spend even more money doing it again?  This makes very
little sense.

>But no, they're going to build
>a space station.

... which is precisely what they need.  What's more useful, a station or
more shuttles?

>I can take solace in the fact that the europeans are
>working on shuttle-like vehicles (Hermes and HOTOL) and you can bet
>they will learn from NASA's mistakes.

... and from the countless things NASA's done right.  After NASA's done the
R & D, it's easy for the Europeans (and the Soviets) to simply use that
technology to build their own.  Improving on someone else's design is a lot
easier than designing from scratch yourself (which is why so many countries
are poor innovators but strong industrial nations nevertheless).

>For the shuttle, things could become grim in a few years if fiber
>optics really depresses the market for communications satellites...

Unlikely.

>if DOD decides to build a new expendable booster as backup for the
>shuttle.

Possible, but also unlikely.

Whatever the economics, the shuttle has made space more accessible.  It has
also allowed the integration of the manned and unmanned aspects of space
flight, and made it possible to do things like satellite recovery and on-orbit
repair.  It's proven that you can build a reusable manned spacecraft.  It's
allowed non-astronauts to travel into space to do useful work.

Even if other countries jump on the bandwagon, and even if they manage to
do it cheaper (by using NASA-developed technology) and better (by improving
on the basic design) the fact remains that they are depending on the
innovation of the engineers who built the shuttle.  It's really unfair to
criticize the shuttle program solely on the basis of cost/pound.

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (11/30/85)

>>What NASA should do is learn from the shuttle experience and design an
>>improved shuttle with better economics.
>Why?  They've already spent a lot of money developing something that works.
>You're suggesting they spend even more money doing it again?  This makes very
>little sense.

I said why -- because the shuttle loses money.  In the long run, NASA
can't keep susidizing shuttle launches.  In an economic sense the
shuttle *doesn't* work.  Spending money to do it again -- and do it
*right* -- makes more sense than pouring money down the current rathole.

>>But no, they're going to build
>>a space station.
>... which is precisely what they need.  What's more useful, a station or
>more shuttles?

NASA is having a hard time saying what the space station will be
used for, and the space station's utility is going to be limited
by how often NASA can send up shuttles (the Europeans are complaining
that NASA will limit it to 14 launches a year; they want 20, but
that would cost NASA too much money).  Agreed, we don't need more
shuttles of the current design, but real exploitation of space needs
cheaper launchers.

According to AWST, the National Advisory Council on Space (or whatever
it is called; the thing Paine & O'Neill are on) is going to say that
the number one priority for opening up space is reducing the cost
of putting payload in orbit by a factor of 10, and by another factor
of ten in the long term -- NOT building a space station.

>Whatever the economics, the shuttle has made space more accessible.  It has
>also allowed the integration of the manned and unmanned aspects of space
>flight, and made it possible to do things like satellite recovery and on-orbit
>repair.  It's proven that you can build a reusable manned spacecraft.  It's
>allowed non-astronauts to travel into space to do useful work.
>Even if other countries jump on the bandwagon, and even if they manage to
>do it cheaper (by using NASA-developed technology) and better (by improving
>on the basic design) the fact remains that they are depending on the
>innovation of the engineers who built the shuttle.  It's really unfair to
>criticize the shuttle program solely on the basis of cost/pound.

But why should one want to integrate manned and unmanned space travel?
Being forced to lift people into orbit just to launch satellites is silly
and costly.

The shuttle can only do on-orbit repair and recovery of satellites
in low orbit, a pretty small market (and it would be smaller still if
the PAM motors weren't needed, as they aren't if an expendable launcher
is used).   The shuttle is reusable, yes, but not nearly to the extent
needed for economical operation.  Non-astronauts could be launched in
other vehicles (and I don't consider the ability to orbit
congress-critters to be a benefit, unless you leave them there).

The fact that other countries are developing reusable vehicles in
no way redeems NASA's failure; indeed, if the other countries are
using lots of NASA's technology then NASA's failure to develop
a better follow-on is even more damning.

It is eminently fair to criticize the shuttle on the basis of
cost/pound to orbit.  Reducing this cost was the primary justification
of the shuttle program!  Even if a later design works, the current
shuttle is, by this criterion, a failure.

broehl%watdcsu%waterloo.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (Bernie Roehl) (12/02/85)

>>>What NASA should do is learn from the shuttle experience and design an
>>>improved shuttle with better economics.
>>Why?

>I said why -- because the shuttle loses money.  In the long run, NASA
>can't keep susidizing shuttle launches.  In an economic sense the
>shuttle *doesn't* work.  Spending money to do it again -- and do it
>*right* -- makes more sense than pouring money down the current rathole.

Only if the savings (i.e. the difference in operating expenses) is
greater than the development cost, which is unlikely.

>shuttles of the current design, but real exploitation of space needs
>cheaper launchers.

Agreed, in the long term cheaper launchers are important.

>...the National Advisory Council on Space (or whatever
>it is called; the thing Paine & O'Neill are on) is going to say that
>the number one priority for opening up space is reducing the cost
>of putting payload in orbit by a factor of 10, and by another factor
>of ten in the long term.

Again, I agree.  *However*, this is not likely to happen for some time
(unfortunatly) simply because funding for a new series of shuttles is
unlikely.  We've barely started using the ones we have, coming up with
a new fleet that may have slightly better economics would not go over
well it this point.  In any case, you won't get a factor of 10 reduction
with an improved shuttle design; we're talking a totally different kind
of vehicle.  Probably single stage to orbit, quite possibly vertical launch/
vertical landing, low maintenance, 48 hour turnaround.

>But why should one want to integrate manned and unmanned space travel?

For the same reason we don't have unmanned cargo planes (or trains, or ships).
It makes good sense to have people there in case something goes wrong (which
is, if anything, *more* likely in a complex activity like spaceflight than
in rail transport).

>...then NASA's failure to develop
>a better follow-on is even more damning.

Spending billions of dollars to develop that follow-on after just a few
years of using the first-generation shuttle would be a silly waste of
hard-to-get funding.

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (12/02/85)

> The fact that other countries are developing reusable vehicles in
> no way redeems NASA's failure; indeed, if the other countries are
> using lots of NASA's technology then NASA's failure to develop
> a better follow-on is even more damning.

Just a minute, here.  Where do you get off calling it NASA's failure?  They
have done remarkably well considering the miniscule budget Congress has given
them.  Are you a U.S. citizen and were you able to vote back in the very early
1970's?  If so, any "failure" that can be assessed is yours, not NASA's and
not even your congressional representatives'.  If you can vote in the U.S.
now, then any future "failure" will also be your responsibility.  If you never
have been extended the privilege of voting for this country's legislative and
executive positions and never will, then you have no basis whatsoever to
criticize this country's space program.

I'm all for a more economical shuttle AND a permanently manned station AND
a lunar base AND a manned mission to Mars, etc.  I'd be happy to allocate
ten per cent of my yearly income for these projects if it would help bring
them to fruition.  But until such an atmosphere of public opinion prevails
I think NASA is correct in pursuing the station and keeping the current
shuttle.

> It is eminently fair to criticize the shuttle on the basis of
> cost/pound to orbit.  Reducing this cost was the primary justification
> of the shuttle program!  Even if a later design works, the current
> shuttle is, by this criterion, a failure.

That's entirely incorrect.  Reducing the cost of reaching Earth orbit was
a primary MOTIVATION for the Space Transportation System program.  It was
never a justification, nor was it ever meant to be.  Had the original design
concepts (fully reusable) been adopted AND FUNDED we'd be much closer to this
goal than we are now.  Calling the present shuttle a failure even though a
future design will work better is like standing in front of the SR-71 and
saying that Orville and Wilbur Wright were incompetent boobs.  When it comes
to research and development, it can only be done in small steps unless you
have someone else's design to learn from.  The quantum leap from V-2 to
space transportation system could probably not have been achieved in anything
less than twenty years and that presumes one moves directly and consistently
toward STS during the entire two decades AND that there be sufficient funding
for such efforts.  Ground-breaking engineering is a very capital-intensive
undertaking.  It happens all too frequently that a project is made more
expensive rather than the reverse when engineers are denied the resources to
achieve what they have planned and are forced to scale it down.  I am not
suggesting for a moment that all engineering problems can be solved merely
by throwing enough money at them, but I do think it makes sense to commit
resources to R&D if one really wants to achieve something significant.
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (12/03/85)

>>    In the long run, NASA
>>can't keep susidizing shuttle launches.  In an economic sense the
>>shuttle *doesn't* work.  Spending money to do it again -- and do it
>>*right* -- makes more sense than pouring money down the current rathole.

>Only if the savings (i.e. the difference in operating expenses) is
>greater than the development cost, which is unlikely.

NASA is going to spend $1.3 billion next year on shuttle launches
(that's after commercial fees have been paid).  In the long run,
wouldn't we be better off if NASA had spent that money on R&D?
As more shuttle flights are scheduled and the competition improves
these numbers may well get worse.

>  We've barely started using the ones we have, coming up with
>a new fleet that may have slightly better economics would not go over
>well it this point.  In any case, you won't get a factor of 10 reduction
>with an improved shuttle design; we're talking a totally different kind
>of vehicle.  Probably single stage to orbit, quite possibly vertical launch/
>vertical landing, low maintenance, 48 hour turnaround.

Recall, though, that the shuttle originally promised a to-orbit
cost of $100/lb which (taking into account inflation) is around 10x
cheaper than what it currently costs.  By "doing it right" I mean living
up to these original promises.

Your argument points out a drawback of reusable spacecraft: once you
build one, you're stuck with it.  NASA was expecting much heavier
traffic than they've been able to sustain, and, as a result, is
stuck with the shuttle for years to come.

Developing a better launcher with slightly improved economics will not
go over well with NASA.  But what about the europeans?  They'll be
grabbing NASA's market share, so they'll be quite willing to invest
the money.

>>But why should one want to integrate manned and unmanned space travel?

>For the same reason we don't have unmanned cargo planes (or trains, or ships).
>It makes good sense to have people there in case something goes wrong (which
>is, if anything, *more* likely in a complex activity like spaceflight than
>in rail transport).

The cargo plane analogy is bogus.  The economics of air & sea transport
are completely different from that of space transport, where reducing
mass is the primary concern.

At least in the satellite launch business, it makes little sense to
lift people into orbit along with the cargo.  The proper response is
to make the hardware sufficiently reliable that it doesn't need costly
human supervision.

>>...then NASA's failure to develop
>>a better follow-on is even more damning.

>Spending billions of dollars to develop that follow-on after just a few
>years of using the first-generation shuttle would be a silly waste of
>hard-to-get funding.

Developing the current shuttle was a silly waste of hard-to-get funding.
(I'll be charitable; it was a learning experience.)  Pouring billions
of dollars into subsidizing it would be even more tragic.  Developing a
better follow-on would at least bring us closer to the day space can be
economically exploited.

Note that I'm not suggesting mothballing the shuttles immediately.
They're all we've got now, given that we can't make Saturns anymore.
But fear of congressional retribution should not serve to stifle
criticism of NASA's mistakes (Congress will find out anyway).

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (12/04/85)

I see no evidence that launching people with a satellite increases
the launch reliability.  If anything, it decreases reliability, because
we've inserted another stage (the low-orbit to high orbit transfer)
into the launch process.  It is at this stage that three failures
have occured (the two PAM failures and the IUS failure with the TDRS
satellite).  The Ariane launches directly to geosynchronous altitude
(admittedly, the Ariane has more stages than the shuttle, and can
be criticized on that count).

Note also that no shuttle flight has managed to repair or recover
a broken satellite that was launched on the same mission.

>>At least in the satellite launch business, it makes little sense to
>>lift people into orbit along with the cargo.  The proper response is
>>to make the hardware sufficiently reliable that it doesn't need costly
>>human supervision.

>This can easily be as costly as sending humans along.  *Reliable* hardware
>is expensive; that's why Shuttle costs so much, and why Ariane's so cheap.

There is a difference between the reliability needed for carrying people
and the reliability needed for economic launchers.  For example,
launching a $100 million satellite on a booster with a 5% chance of
catastrophic failure is acceptable; the insurance costs will be a small
fraction of launch costs.  Launching people in such a booster is
clearly unacceptable.  The shuttle needs to be much more reliable than
expendable boosters, and it costs.  The question here is: does it make
sense to make the booster more reliable so that you can make the PAM
motor less reliable?  Not likely, given that the booster costs
orders of magnitude more than the PAM motor (assuming that the unmanned
system would even HAVE a PAM motor).  Also, using the shuttle to
launch high-energy upper stages using LH/LOX fuel is causing
big headaches.  The Centaur upper stage used with Gallileo is
having safety problems and may delay that mission for a while.

>>Developing the current shuttle was a silly waste of hard-to-get funding.

>Not at the time the decision was made.  There was a serious danger there
>would be no space program as such at all, just a bunch of Atlas and Titan
>boosters kicking communications satellites into orbit.  The shuttle changed
>all that, and instead of no spaceflight we have spaceflight that's so
>routine it's not even newsworthy anymore.

Now the truth comes out.  Could it be that the purpose of the shuttle
was not to provide cheap transport into orbit, but rather to allow NASA
(aka "the space program") to continue to exist?  That putting people
into space was taken as given and a justification was invented for
doing so?  This is not necessarily bad, if the money would otherwise
have gone to some worthy cause like propping up the price of butter.
But... I suspect that if the shuttle hadn't been developed the aerospace
companies would have gone to work improving their expendable boosters,
much as the europeans did.  As it happened, they didn't, because NASA
was supposed to produce a fantastically cheap launcher that would make
any such expendable booster uneconomical, and working on the shuttle
was a risk-free source of money.

  ---

An aside: an article in Business Week (12/9/85, page 124) talks
about the DOD and their shuttle facility at Vandenburg.  It contains
the paragraph:

  "Operation of manned space-launch facilities at Vandenburg
  will add only $400 million to the military's $15 billion space
  budget next year.  But Congress may have to increase that figure
  considerably in 1987 and beyond because of plans to replace the
  present space shuttle.  The next-generation spacecraft will be
  designed to take off from an airport rather than from a rocket
  pad.  This will reduce waiting time between launches and cut their
  cost in half."

DOD apparently isn't constrained to justify the shuttle.  In fact, there
have been reports (in Science last year, for example) that
the DOD was concerned about the shuttle's poor reliability and
potential for catastrophic failure, and wanted to develop an interim
expendable booster (NASA was horrified; I don't know if the idea has
died).

The military is the biggest customer for low altitude satellites --
weather and spy satellites -- for which the shuttle is suited.
This is probably the biggest market for satellite repair the shuttle
can service, or, rather, will be once the shuttle is able to reach
polar orbit.

> > The fact that other countries are developing reusable vehicles in
> > no way redeems NASA's failure...
>
> ... Are you a U.S. citizen and were you able to vote back in the very early
> 1970's?  If so, any "failure" that can be assessed is yours, not NASA's and
> not even your congressional representatives'.  If you can vote in the U.S.
> now, then any future "failure" will also be your responsibility.

Nonsense.  If you foul up, it is *your* fault, not that of the Rockwell
shareholders.  They may perhaps be responsible for tolerating situations
that encourage fouling up, and thus share some of the blame, but you are
most definitely still accountable for your actions.  (Ask your boss about
this if you don't believe me.)  Same principle.  US voters may perhaps be
blamed for inadequate NASA funding, but not for NASA making promises that
it can't keep.

> If you never
> have been extended the privilege of voting for this country's legislative and
> executive positions and never will, then you have no basis whatsoever to
> criticize this country's space program.

Utter nonsense.  It may disqualify us from demanding answers from NASA brass,
on the grounds that they don't work for us, but calling a failure a failure
is not the exclusive prerogative of the people who pay the bills for it.

> > It is eminently fair to criticize the shuttle on the basis of
> > cost/pound to orbit.  Reducing this cost was the primary justification
> > of the shuttle program!  ...
>
> That's entirely incorrect.  Reducing the cost of reaching Earth orbit was
> a primary MOTIVATION for the Space Transportation System program.  It was
> never a justification, nor was it ever meant to be...

The whole justification for undertaking an expensive development program in
the first place was that existing expendable boosters were not adequate to
do the job.  In what way?  They were too expensive.  I fail to see the fine
line you are drawing between "motivation" and "justification".  If anything,
you are drawing it the wrong way:  NASA's motive for the shuttle was a
combination of the development of space and bureaucratic self-preservation,
while the justification offered was lower launch costs.  Check out the
Congressional testimony if you don't believe me on the latter.

> Had the original design
> concepts (fully reusable) been adopted AND FUNDED we'd be much closer to this
> goal than we are now.

Agreed.  But it remains true that even the partly-reusable shuttle was claimed
by NASA to greatly reduce launch costs; it hasn't, and won't.

> Calling the present shuttle a failure even though a
> future design will work better is like standing in front of the SR-71 and
> saying that Orville and Wilbur Wright were incompetent boobs.

"fail, v.t.  1. attempt without success.  2. not to do.  3. disappoint. ..."
[from the little dictionary in my desk]  The issue at hand is not whether
the Wrights could build an SR-71, but whether they could make good on their
claims, i.e. whether they could build something that would fly.  They did
not claim to be able to reach Mach 3; NASA most definitely did claim to
be able to drastically reduce launch costs, with the shuttle.

> ... Ground-breaking engineering is a very capital-intensive
> undertaking.  It happens all too frequently that a project is made more
> expensive rather than the reverse when engineers are denied the resources to
> achieve what they have planned and are forced to scale it down. ...

Nobody is claiming that NASA wasn't (a) working under difficult conditions
to (b) achieve a rather difficult goal.  That does not change the facts:
they failed.  The promises they made *after* the scaling-down occurred have
not been kept.  Probably nobody on Earth could have kept them -- although
there are some people I'd have given better odds than I'd have given NASA
on the job -- so the blame rests with those who made the promises in the
first place.  NASA.

Understand, I think the shuttle is a winner on the whole (although I mourn
for what it could have been, and isn't).  Routine manned access to space is
definitely worth having, and that's what the shuttle is good at.  Alas, not
as good as something that didn't claim to be a cheap payload truck too --
a larger fleet of smaller orbiters would do a much better job on routine
manned access to space -- but a little is better than none.  NASA probably
couldn't have sold the shuttle on that basis only.  But let us be honest:
the shuttle was justified as a cheap payload truck, and it's not.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

dls@mtgzz.UUCP (d.l.skran) (12/05/85)

Mr. Dietz seems to be ignoring shuttle history as
he dunns what can only be described as in incrediblely successful
program.

Point 1: the military was a big factor in making the shuttle
	 uneconomical. NASA wanted as *smaller* shuttle with
	 lower thrust engines.

Point 2: NASA was told to design to cost(6 billion I recall), not
	 for any other major consideration except DOD requirements.
	 Hence, designs with greater reusability and lower cost
	 could not be considered.

Point 3: The program was underfunded at all points, finally resulting
	 in near disaster at the end. Inadequate $ were available
	 for component testing so engines were tested all at once, with
	 predictably bad results.

Point 4: A very considerable cost for the shuttle is the maintenance of
	 permanent equipment(gantries, ground crews, etc.) Having one
	 more shuttle and many more flights would substantially lower costs
	 per flight. The original fleet was planned to have six, not four
	 shuttles.

Given the military role in crippling the shuttle, their current about
face is disgusting.

The shuttle represents an enormous increase in our space going capability,
and is more flexible than the large Saturn. Ya, Saturn is cheaper per
pound, but we are not launching dirt into orbit. The shuttle has comparable
costs combined with a MUCH more useful craft.

I agree that a follow on shuttle is very important, but I see no reason
to start development for a couple of years. Let's build the station, and
do it "right" about 1995. Meanwhile, the military may have developed a
small orbital plane we can use as a basis for further work.

Seriously - more is happening every two months in space than happened
for years during the 60s. Just look at the tremendous amount and variety
of vital stuff that has gotten packed into the first 22 shuttle missions.
Without the shuttle we would be going NOWHERE FAST, just launching communication
satellites on some "big cheap booster." With the shuttle we are repairing
satellites, building beams in space, running Spacelab(s) all over the
place, and providing small scale, low cost access to space(getaway specials).

Dale

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (12/06/85)

> > ... Are you a U.S. citizen and were you able to vote back in the very early
> > 1970's?  If so, any "failure" that can be assessed is yours, not NASA's and
> > not even your congressional representatives'.  If you can vote in the U.S.
> > now, then any future "failure" will also be your responsibility.
>
> Nonsense.  If you foul up, it is *your* fault, not that of [your company's]
> shareholders.  They may perhaps be responsible for tolerating situations
> that encourage fouling up, and thus share some of the blame, but you are
> most definitely still accountable for your actions. . . . Same principle.
> . . . .  US voters may perhaps be
> blamed for inadequate NASA funding, but not for NASA making promises that
> it can't keep.

Point 1:
I work for a publicly-held industrial concern, not a government
agency.  So it's not at all the "same principle."  My employers are
not elected public officials.  If you lived in the U.S. you might
understand the difference. (-:  Seriously, I do appreciate that
individuals are accountable for their actions.  But here in the USA
we are fortunate enough to have a measure of responsibility for our
government's actions.  These actions are mainly what the government
chooses to fund and by how much.  Pay attention to our next presidential
campaign and you'll see that most of the talking the candidates do is
along the lines of which programs will be cut, which will be started,
and how much our taxes will change to accommodate these changes.

Point 2:
I maintain that the only macro-mistake in the STS program was by how much
it was funded and for what reasons.  This decision drove all the others,
including the design of the STS.  That is why the shuttle costs more than
was projected.  That is all the NASA officials were doing, making projections
that if this much money was spent on development, then it would at some
specified point cost this much to launch this payload, etc.  I don't recall
ever reading in any of the congressional testimony that NASA guaranteed
such things.  Only that, to the best of their experience, it would come
to pass.  It is a rare engineering project indeed that accomplishes some-
thing never done before and does it in the time and within the budget
originally projected.  How can anyone say they "promised" something they
couldn't deliver?  And, even if one does aver that they made promises,
wasn't it incredibly naive to believe that they could do something that
incredible with such limited resources?

> > If you never
> > have been extended the privilege of voting for this country's legislative
> > and executive positions and never will, then you have no basis whatsoever
> > to criticize this country's space program.
>
> Utter nonsense.  It may disqualify us from demanding answers from NASA brass,
> on the grounds that they don't work for us, but calling a failure a failure
> is not the exclusive prerogative of the people who pay the bills for it.

It's not because we pay the bills that I made that statement.  It's because
no other country has equalled U.S. accomplishments in space.  You think we
failed in the shuttle program?  What has Canada done better?  Oh, yeah, you
made the robot arm.  Impressive (I'm serious).  You've sent one astronaut
into space, but then that was on a U.S. space shuttle.  How many communications
satellites would Canada have up were it not for the U.S.?  Take off, eh.
(In your nonexistent shuttle, that is.)

> > Reducing the cost of reaching Earth orbit was
> > a primary MOTIVATION for the Space Transportation System program.  It was
> > never a justification . . .
>
> I fail to see the fine
> line you are drawing between "motivation" and "justification".  If anything,
> you are drawing it the wrong way:  NASA's motive for the shuttle was a
> combination of the development of space and bureaucratic self-preservation,
> while the justification offered was lower launch costs.  Check out the
> Congressional testimony if you don't believe me on the latter.

No, I've got it right, you've got it backwards.  NASA was directed by the
President of the United States to develop a system which would lower these
costs.  They presented what ideas they had and stated their belief that it
would in fact lower launch costs.  Since this occurred before they began
the program, it is a motivation (stimulus to an action), not a justification.
Clearly, the word "justification" is entirely misplaced here because that is
denoted to be an after-the-fact demonstration of correctness.  NASA has not
maintained that they accomplished what they originally projected.

> But it remains true that even the partly-reusable shuttle was claimed
> by NASA to greatly reduce launch costs; it hasn't, and won't.

They claimed (even after budget cuts) that they thought it would still
reduce costs.  Again, that was just a projection.  In any event, they had
no choice but to build that which was funded.

> > Calling the present shuttle a failure even though a
> > future design will work better is like standing in front of the SR-71 and
> > saying that Orville and Wilbur Wright were incompetent boobs.
>
> The issue at hand is not whether
> the Wrights could build an SR-71, but whether they could make good on their
> claims, i.e. whether they could build something that would fly.

Read again: the context was that the shuttle can be built better; because of
this, the current project is a failure.  You're mistaking someone else calling
NASA a failure versus calling the shuttle a failure.

> That does not change the facts:
> they failed.  The promises they made *after* the scaling-down occurred have
> not been kept.  Probably nobody on Earth could have kept them -- although
> there are some people I'd have given better odds than I'd have given NASA
> on the job -- so the blame rests with those who made the promises in the
> first place.  NASA.

Again, you're saying they made promises when all they did was make projections
based on almost no data.  Once they began operating, they knew how much things
would cost and they told everyone.  So who could have done better?  Who HAS
done better?

> Understand, I think the shuttle is a winner on the whole (although I mourn
> for what it could have been, and isn't).  Routine manned access to space is
> definitely worth having, and that's what the shuttle is good at.  Alas, not
> as good as something that didn't claim to be a cheap payload truck too --
> a larger fleet of smaller orbiters would do a much better job on routine
> manned access to space -- but a little is better than none.  NASA probably
> couldn't have sold the shuttle on that basis only.  But let us be honest:
> the shuttle was justified as a cheap payload truck, and it's not.
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

I agree with you on almost all that paragraph.  But NASA does not now claim
that the shuttle is a cheap payload truck.  That was what it was supposed to
be, but because the funding and politics went awry, it's not what we have.
But it was, for the last time, NOT justified on that basis.  NASA has not
claimed for years that's what the shuttle does or will do.  It should never
have been the emphasis.

I should also point out that there are generally accepted accounting
principles which do show that the shuttle is an economic success.  It's
all in how you want to look at it.
--
These ideas are mine and, it appears, nobody else's!
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

jlg@lanl.ARPA (12/07/85)

I don't understand this line of controversy.  I though the shuttle WAS
cheaper per pound than saturn Vs and the like.  Oh, the actual dollar
amount might be the same - or even more - but inflation has reduced
the value of the dollar by more than A FACTOR OF TWO since the last
Apollo mission.  Is the $/lb. figure for the shuttle really that much?
Maybe I should get a back issue of Discover to figure out what started
this discussion in the first place.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

[Having let the last-referenced article sit for a while so I could cool off
before replying to it, I've decided that most of it isn't worth rehashing.
However, one point deserves comment.]

> > ...Probably nobody on Earth could have kept [the Shuttle promises] -- although
> > there are some people I'd have given better odds than I'd have given NASA
> > on the job...
>
> ...So who could have done better?  Who HAS done better?...

If I had to use the US aerospace establishment to build a Space Shuttle,
I think I'd give the contract to Kelly Johnson's "Skunk Works" at Lockheed,
and tell him to call me when he was ready for flight tests -- and not before.
Or I'd give it to Ed Heinemann at Douglas (if I'm allowed to juggle time
scales a bit so he'd still be there), with the same instructions.  That is,
to people who have a track record of doing difficult aerospace jobs quickly
and cheaply.  A rare distinction, alas.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

> [I'd give the Shuttle contract]
> to people who have a track record of doing difficult aerospace jobs quickly
> and cheaply.  A rare distinction, alas.

A further interesting note on this...  One of the many interesting facts
brought out in Norman Augustine's fascinating book "Augustine's Laws"
($19.97 postpaid from the AIAA, 1633 Broadway, NYC 10019) is that the
Defence Department has no memory.  A simple scatter plot of contract awards
vs. past performance demonstrates clearly that cost overruns (or underruns!)
on previous contracts don't make any difference in whether you get the next
contract.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (12/31/85)

> I see no evidence that launching people with a satellite increases
> the launch reliability.
> It is at this stage that three failures
> have occured (the two PAM failures and the IUS failure with the TDRS
> satellite).

It should be noted that NONE of these has resulted in a complete loss
of the satellite.  The PAM failures were followed by recovery of
the satellites and TDRS eventually got to its final orbit.  Also, the
LEASAT failure not mentioned here was followed by a repair mission which
resulted in a fully operational satellite in the proper orbit.  Although
not launched by the shuttle, the Solar Max mission was saved by a
shuttle repair.  By contrast, all Ariane failures have resulted in
complete loss of the entire payload.  And there have been a lot of failures.

> There is a difference between the reliability needed for carrying people
> and the reliability needed for economic launchers.  For example,
> launching a $100 million satellite on a booster with a 5% chance of
> catastrophic failure is acceptable; the insurance costs will be a small
> fraction of launch costs.

Failure rates for the Ariane are more like 20% (top of the head, please
check the figure) and insurance rates are hitting about 20% too.  In one
case this led to an uninsured launch (on the shuttle).

> launch high-energy upper stages using LH/LOX fuel is causing
> big headaches.  The Centaur upper stage used with Gallileo is
> having safety problems and may delay that mission for a while.

Any time you do something new you have headaches.  So what?  Let's
just wait and see if it works.

> But... I suspect that if the shuttle hadn't been developed the aerospace
> companies would have gone to work improving their expendable boosters,

Most of the aerospace industries business is military.  NASA work is
a drop in the bucket.  They probably would simply have built more
killing machines.

> DOD apparently isn't constrained to justify the shuttle.  In fact, there
> have been reports (in Science last year, for example) that
> the DOD was concerned about the shuttle's poor reliability and
> potential for catastrophic failure, and wanted to develop an interim
> expendable booster (NASA was horrified; I don't know if the idea has
> died).

The idea is alive and kicking.  NASA was molified by an agreement whereby
DOD pays for shuttle use regardless of whether it actually uses the
shuttle or not.  With Abrahamson (sp?) running SDI (he used to run
shuttle) though, I suspect DOD will get a lot of use out of the shuttle.