[sci.virtual-worlds] VR major/career questions

cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (B. Daniels) (10/06/90)

Let's say you were a first year college student with a good background in
electronics and computers.  (Hmm...sounds like my situation...  :-)

If you were interested in a career in VR research/development, what would
you major in?  What colleges would be good to go to? (East Coast preferred),
What companies would be potential job sites after graduation?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Daniels

I access the net, therefore I am...
                        Brian Daniels (cs63bld@unccvax.uucp)

andyrose@uunet.UU.NET (Andy Rose) (10/10/90)

Definitely go to Cornell and major in math.

--
Andrew Newkirk Rose '91 Department of Visualization CNSF/Theory Center
632 E & T Building, Hoy Road Ithaca, NY 14583

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (10/17/90)

In article <9316@milton.u.washington.edu> dartvax!batcomputer!andyrose@uunet.UU.
NET (Andy Rose) writes:

>Definitely go to Cornell and major in math.

  While math is extremely useful for the actual implementation of VR (physics,
electronics, and comp.sci algorithms), you'll still need some knowledge in
human interface design.  This field is called human factors by some schools
and cognitive science by others (Human factors is a small subset of cog sci).
Some schools offer cogsci/human factors under psychology or engineering
design. USCD (where I graduated) now has a separate Cognitive Science
department. You should try to get a well rounded education in math, neural
nets, AI, physics, psychology, and of course, computer graphics.

  John