[sci.virtual-worlds] European Cyberspace Congress

mukesh@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mukesh Patel) (10/22/90)

Announcement and call for submissions/abstracts.

European Cyberspace Congress

Amsterdam Virtual

March 10-12, 1991

Introduction:
The focus of the conference is on the applications in art, psychology,
philosophy and science of the Virtual Reality technology, both as
a practical tool and as a conceptual carrier and framework to discuss
reality. Cyberspace is a new and fascinating realm to explore, it
is an opportunity, but also a threat.
The focus of the conference is not primarily on Virtual Reality and
Cyberspace technology, but on what it offers and what it means for
society in a wider perspective.

This congress is scheduled to take place in three afternoons, two
mornings and two evenings. The format of the sessions and demonstrations
is somewhat different from the standard lectures, as we will try to
shape the conference  in the interactive format suggested by the medium
of mediums, that VR is.

The timing is related to the beginning of the CEBIT Hanover Fair,
starting March 13 in Germany. Many people from the computer industry
in America and Japan are planning to attend Cebit,  so the time-frame
of this conference would allow them to come to Europe and make the
best of their trip.

Program committee:
A number of distinguished scientists, artists and writers have agreed
to sit on the program committee.  A full list will be announced at a
later date.

Sponsorship:
Companies and organisations are invited to sponsor lectures and/or
to participate in the Virtual Reality exhibits. It is especially
appreciated if commercial organisations would sponsor and help
with the equipment for artists' `installations'.

Executive committee:
The organization of the conference is handled by Egosoft with the
active sponsorship of Sala Communications, publishers of books and
computer magazines.

Call for abstracts and papers:
An abstract for a paper/lecture or art `installation' can be sent
to:
POB 43048,
1009 AZ Amsterdam,
The Netherlands

or faxed to:
+31-20-253280.

Abstracts should be between 700 and 1000 words and are to be received
by the organizing committee before January 1, 1991. Submission of
an abstract indicates the intention of the submitter to write and
present a full length (45 minute) paper or a 20 minute poster session,
if the contribution is selected. Please indicate the necessary technical
equipment/video etc.

Location:
The conference will take place in Amsterdam. A very central and cosmopolitan
city with a reputation for hospitality and openness, this is the ideal
place to bring together the Virtual Reality people and energy. Previous
Virtual Reality events in Amsterdam in September 1990 have been a
great success.

Registration and fees:
Cost of registration and attendance is $ 195 for the whole conference.

On Sunday March 10, the afternoon demonstration and exhibits will
be open to a wider audience at a fee of $ 12,-.

The cost of this conference has been kept relatively affordable, as
we would like to see the participation of as many interested artists,
computer hackers etc. as possible. There will be special scholarships
available to entice these groups to join the conference.

Participation in the conference is limited to 250 people. If necessary,
the participation will be limited to individuals with stated interests
in cyberspace development in science, art or industry.

For further information please get in touch at the following address:
Address and Telephone:

Amsterdam Virtual
Nieuwe Kerkstraat 67,
1018 DZ Amsterdam,
The Netherlands.

Telephone: +31-20-203219
Fax: +31-20-253280

Emailed messaged to me will be forwarded to the organisors at the above
address.

email:  mukesh@cogs.sussex.ac.uk

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (10/23/90)

mukesh@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mukesh Patel) writes:

>Registration and fees:
>Cost of registration and attendance is $ 195 for the whole conference.

>On Sunday March 10, the afternoon demonstration and exhibits will
>be open to a wider audience at a fee of $ 12,-.

>The cost of this conference has been kept relatively affordable, as
>we would like to see the participation of as many interested artists,
>computer hackers etc. as possible. There will be special scholarships
>available to entice these groups to join the conference.

Relatively AFFORDABLE ?!?!?!?!?

Wasn't that other Great Hacker Powow in Amsterdam only $12.50 for three days?
I guess cyberspace gets expensive when big money gets its foot between the
door. So much for the dreams, I'll just call it something else !

--
Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
quote: "We don't care about freedom of the mind, | Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH)