[net.space] left-handed sugar

Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (12/17/85)

Left-handed sugars cannot be metabolized because the enzyme that
metabolizes sugar (Sucrase) is right-handed and won't fit into
left-handed sucrose (Sinister sucrose??  :-) .  The taste buds are not
chemically asymetrical, so either left- or right- handed sugars taste
sweet.  Enzymes are like putting gloves on the wrong hand, whereas taste
buds are like putting socks on the "wrong" foot.

    Brett Slocum
    Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

rsf@Shasta.ARPA (12/18/85)

OK, my big question now is: does left-handed sucrose promote tooth decay?
(I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with "space" anymore, but "enquiring
minds want to know".)

Ross Finlayson
Stanford CS Dept.
ARPA: rsf@su-pescadero.ARPA
UUCP: ...!{decwrl,ucbvax}!Glacier!Shasta!rsf

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (01/01/86)

In article <1598@Shasta.ARPA> rsf@Shasta.UUCP (Ross Finlayson) writes:
>OK, my big question now is: does left-handed sucrose promote tooth decay?
>(I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with "space" anymore, but "enquiring
>minds want to know".)
>
>Ross Finlayson
>Stanford CS Dept.
>ARPA: rsf@su-pescadero.ARPA
>UUCP: ...!{decwrl,ucbvax}!Glacier!Shasta!rsf

I read recently (sorry, I don't remember where) that tooth decay
results from particular species of bacteria which consume sugar
in the mouth and then secrete an acid which attacks the teeth.
Other species of bacteria eat sugar without secreting this acid.

A proclivity towards tooth decay results from which species of
bacteria one is infected with (usually from the mother) early in
life.  Tooth decay is therefore a kind of "ecological" disease.

This being the case, presumably bacteria as well as humans use
enzymes which are specific to the handedness of sugar.  Bacteria
which tried to eat left-handed sugar would starve or at least
wouldn't have the energy to secrete acid which attacks the teeth.

--

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     "All disclaimers including this one apply"

	And with an awful, dreadful list
	Towards other galaxies unknown
	Ponderously turns the Milky Way ...
		Boris Pasternak

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (01/01/86)

> Left-handed sugars cannot be metabolized because the enzyme that
> metabolizes sugar (Sucrase) is right-handed and won't fit into
> left-handed sucrose (Sinister sucrose??  :-) .  The taste buds are not
> chemically asymetrical, so either left- or right- handed sugars taste
> sweet.  Enzymes are like putting gloves on the wrong hand, whereas taste
> buds are like putting socks on the "wrong" foot.

Are you sure about this?  The sense of smell can detect the difference
between optical (i.e., left and right handed) isomers.  While a left and
right handed sugar may both taste sweet, do they taste the same?  Probably,
since taste can only detect sweet, sour, bitter, and salty.