[sci.virtual-worlds] Silicon Graphics

hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (11/15/90)

In article <11043@milton.u.washington.edu>
dario%TECHUNIX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dario Ringach) writes:
>Has anyone based a VR platform on a Silicon Graphics workstation?

VPL.  One Iris per eye.

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

pepke@SCRI1.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Eric Pepke) (11/15/90)

In article <HUGHES.90Nov14082115@locusts.Berkeley.EDU>
hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:
> dario%TECHUNIX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dario Ringach) writes:
> >Has anyone based a VR platform on a Silicon Graphics workstation?
>
> VPL.  One Iris per eye.

I thought it was one IRIS per eye pair, using a split screen mechanism
similar to that used by stereo flip mechanisms.  At least that was the
setup they had at SIGGRAPH, with a 4D-210 GTX.  After all, the resolution
of the glasses is way below the resolution of the screen, and when one is
using shaded polygons, the computation is pixel-bound, not
transformation-bound.

BTW, though the rendering was done on the IRIS, the navigation, interaction,
&c was done on a Macintosh.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (11/17/90)

DU (Eric Hughes) writes:

>In article <11043@milton.u.washington.edu>
>dario%TECHUNIX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dario Ringach) writes:
>>Has anyone based a VR platform on a Silicon Graphics workstation?
>
>VPL.  One Iris per eye.
>
>Eric Hughes
>hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

Our virtual wind tunnel project (boom mounted rather than head mounted),
is being built on an SGI 340 VGX.  One is enough to drive both eyes in
B&W.  We think it is enough even in color, but we aren't there yet.

Sam Uselton             uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC         working for NASA        speaking for myself

dmcgrew%sdcc13@ucsd.edu (Dale Mcgrew) (11/17/90)

In article <11178@milton.u.washington.edu> pepke@SCRI1.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Eric Pepke)
 writes:

>In article <HUGHES.90Nov14082115@locusts.Berkeley.EDU>
>hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:
>> dario%TECHUNIX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dario Ringach) writes:
>> >Has anyone based a VR platform on a Silicon Graphics workstation?
>>
>> VPL.  One Iris per eye.
>
>I thought it was one IRIS per eye pair, using a split screen mechanism
>similar to that used by stereo flip mechanisms.  At least that was the
>setup they had at SIGGRAPH, with a 4D-210 GTX.
>
>Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
>Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
>Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
>Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu
>
>Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
>Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

Hello.  No, VPL at this time uses one GTX per eye.  The reason our
system at Siggraph might have looked like we only had one GTX was
because we were implementing (OK, trying to implement) what is called
Videoshpere, which allows us to put Video images behind our virtual
worlds.  So our system was in pieces at various points in time.  Unfortunately,
we're still stuck with two of the suckers.
                                        -Dale
                                         dmcgrew@ucsd
P.S. What's a disclaimer?
(just kidding)