[sci.virtual-worlds] Musical Virtual Worlds

garry@cs-sun-fsc.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Garry Beirne) (11/14/90)

Most of the discussions about VR have assumed a visual world, or some
representation of a visual world.  This is natural, given that we are
probalby 'visual animals'.  However, there is no reason why we need to
base our notion of virtuality on things we can visualize.

There has been a great deal of progress on the development of
interactive music systems in the past 10 years.  There are a number of
composers and performers who are also excellent programmers (e.g. George
Lewis, Daniel Scheidt, Robert Rowe) who have given spent a long time
thinking about interactivity, and have developed successful 'virtual
musical worlds'.  In these worlds there is a musical framework that is
defined by the compser.  There may or may not be entities in these
worlds that exhibit their own (musical) behaviours, and may or may not
respond to stimulus from the other occupant of the musical space, the
performer.  I will call these Musical Virtual Worlds (MVW)

The are several features of these MVWs that we in the 'visual' worlds
might learn from.

First, it is assumed that the occupant/participant/user/performer in a
MVW is a 'virtuoso';  they are experts in communicating via very
specific musical gestures (bowing the violin, playing the piano, etc.)
and there is a well established vocabulary within the range of gestures
they use.  In VR we almost always assume a naive user.  Why not follow
the model of the instrument builder, and develop a set of gestures that
are 'appropriate' to the task of communicating to and from the visual
virtual world?

Second, there is a large degree of interaction between the performer and
the MVW.  The performer plays something, the MVW listens and responds or
accompanies, the performers next gestures are influence by what they
hear from the MVW, which is in turn affected by what the performer
plays, and so on.  There is a rich degree of
dependance/reliance/cooperation between the two entities.  (Note that
the MVW is not 'intelligent'.  Rather, it is the embodiment of the
composers' musical thought.  So, it is the composer that is intelligent,
not the MVW).

In short, I think that the music world has a mature notion of 'virtual
worlds' and is at the forefront of 'interactivity'.

Yes, I have left a lot unsaid ... but I don't want to give it all away
on the first posting   :-)

  Garry Beirne           Box 1020        Phone:   (403) 762-6641
  Head, Computer Media   Banff, Alberta  FAX:     (403) 762-6659
  Media Arts             Canada          UUCP:    garry@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
  The Banff Centre       T0L 0C0         PAN:     BANFF
--

garry@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Garry Beirne) (11/14/90)

Most of the discussions about VR have assumed a visual world, or some
representation of a visual world.  This is natural, given that we are
probably 'visual animals'.  However, there is no reason why we need to

brucec%phoebus.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov13.213038.27046@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> garry@cs-sun-fsc.cpsc.ucalg
ary.ca (Garry Beirne) writes:

> First, it is assumed that the occupant/participant/user/performer in a
> MVW is a 'virtuoso';  they are experts in communicating via very
> specific musical gestures (bowing the violin, playing the piano, etc.)
> and there is a well established vocabulary within the range of gestures
> they use.  In VR we almost always assume a naive user.

Very good point.  In corrobaration, I'd like to mention the banquet speech
at OOPSLA/ECOOP in Ottawa a few weeks ago, given by Bill Buxton.  He argued
passionately for user interfaces which allow experts to make use of their
expertise, and designers who respect the time and energy experts have
invested in their expertise.  He's a musician, and as one example of what
he meant, he played a few bars on a Yamaha electronic saxophone, pointing
out that the design of its interface allowed him to make use of the years
he'd spent developing his embrouchure (sp?).

Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekchips.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077

eliot@phoenix.princeton.edu (Eliot Handelman) (11/15/90)

ary.ca (Garry Beirne) writes:

;In short, I think that the music world has a mature notion of 'virtual
;worlds' and is at the forefront of 'interactivity'.

My current line of work involves what I'm calling an "auditory cyberspace."
It's based around some notions of consciousness, especially of temporal
integration & the possibilities of transmitting cognitive structure, as
outlined in my PhD thesis "music as secondary consciousness: an
implementation," which ought to be on the shelf within a few months. The
medium is a high intensity broth and involves something comparable to
echolocation, insuinuating objects of arbitrary complexity with no "real-
world" correlate. The listener/participant has no "observational" status.

While I'm here, some quick positions:

The concept that we're "visually oriented" is shallow and, I think, probably
incorrect: consult any textbook of auditory disorders (Sacks has come out
with one called "Hearing voices.") Visual orientations are, to me, essentially
distance-preserving modalites of selfhood which express an unwillingness
to jeopardize one's detachment from the world -- a detachment which usenet,
a visual medium, promotes, hence its peculiar psychology. Not to undermine
seeing, of course: but the blind do have it easier than the deaf. The deaf,
unless regimented into an appropriate educational proghram early on, may
have a highly underdeveloped sense of time and of selfhood.

The "musical" perspective espoused by most recent musical cognitivism is
based on some unfortunate misunderstandings of musical history: especially
problematic is the notion of musical generative grammars. There is no
such thing, in my view; worse, I think it is detrimental any sort of thinking
that goes on around music to insist on the ideas od a "semantics," be they
emotive, significative, or pseudo linguistic. Habituation entails
perceptual automatization, as already James pointed out. The reliance of
cognitivism on previous experience is at most a pedagogical blunder, not
an insight into how music "works." I am looking at things that force involvement
and map out experience, not things that are, from an intercationist
stance, already dead.

eliot handelman
princeton u., music

hlr@uunet.UU.NET (Howard Rheingold) (11/16/90)

garry@cs-sun-fsc.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Garry Beirne) writes:

<lines deleted>

>First, it is assumed that the occupant/participant/user/performer in a
>MVW is a 'virtuoso';  they are experts in communicating via very
>specific musical gestures (bowing the violin, playing the piano, etc.)
>and there is a well established vocabulary within the range of gestures
>they use.  In VR we almost always assume a naive user.  Why not follow
>the model of the instrument builder, and develop a set of gestures that
>are 'appropriate' to the task of communicating to and from the visual
>virtual world?

<lines deleted>

Claude Cadoz, Annie Luciani, and Jean-loup Florens have been working
with "the musical gesture," "gestual transducers," and "virtual
instruments" since 1976. They founded ACROE (translated: Association
for Research about Artistic Creation Tools) in Grenoble and have been
working there ever since. They have developed a visual animation
language (ANIMA) and a musical synthesis language (CORDIS) and a 16
degree of freedom keyboard. I tested the keyboard myself, and it is
quite an astounding experience. They use peripheral devices to convert
the keyboard into different virtual instruments. For example, I put my
fingers into a couple of loops, moved my wrist, and voila -- the sound
and *feel* of running a violin bow over a taut violin string. They can
be reached at acroe@lifia.imag.fr

Most of their reprints are in French. They didn't know a great deal
about the ferment in the rest of the VR world until I showed up,
although they are in touch with Margaret Minsky, who was the person
who turned me onto them in the first place.

rnm@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Marsanyi) (11/17/90)

> MVW's: expert vs. naive interaction, and user<->world interdependence

Two good points.  The notion of environment as instrument is especially
powerful, in my view, and I have pointed out that much can be learned from
the millenia-old art of instrument building in the capture of acquired or
intuitive gesture.

Added to the above: many of these performance environments are designed for
more than one performer, and sophisticated notions of the interaction of
performers in this circumstance are also a part of the ground that's already
been broken.  In addition, many of the most successful of these environments
entail a severe limitation on the universe over which they operate, rather
than trying to be a catch-all.

--rbt

garry@cs-sun-fsc.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Garry Beirne) (11/18/90)

> My current line of work involves what I'm calling an "auditory cyberspace."
> It's based around some notions of consciousness, especially of temporal
> integration & the possibilities of transmitting cognitive structure, as
> outlined in my PhD thesis "music as secondary consciousness: an
> implementation," which ought to be on the shelf within a few months.....

Your work sounds *very* interesting, and I would like to get some references
from you.  Where and when could we read about your work?  Can you give us an
example of a cognitive structure that might be useful to transmit in a
cyberspace?  Do you imagine that concrete messages can be 'encoded' in these
structures?

> The concept that we're "visually oriented" is shallow and, I think, probably
> incorrect: consult any textbook of auditory disorders ...

BRAVO. It seems my 'quoted' suggestion that we were 'visual animals' didn't
imply my disbelief in this notion (though my source of disbelief comes more
from an intuitive and experiential rather than from any scientific position).
The aural component of our virtual worlds should not be treated as second class
citizens to the visual components; as nice little special effects to enhance the
so-called experience.  It will be interesting to see Eliot Handelman's work, or
others, can illuminate the power and necessity of sound in cyberspace.

Eliot, do you think that sound could have greater importance than visuals in
certain cyberspaces?  In all cyberspaces?

> The "musical" perspective espoused by most recent musical cognitivism is
> based on some unfortunate misunderstandings of musical history: especially
> problematic is the notion of musical generative grammars. There is no
> such thing, in my view; worse, I think it is detrimental any sort of thinking
> that goes on around music to insist on the ideas od a "semantics," be they
> emotive, significative, or pseudo linguistic. Habituation entails
> perceptual automatization, as already James pointed out. The reliance of
> cognitivism on previous experience is at most a pedagogical blunder, not
> an insight into how music "works." I am looking at things that force
> involvement
> and map out experience, not things that are, from an intercationist
> stance, already dead.

There's a lot of stuff in this paragraph. I would be grateful for further
illumination of your ideas about musical grammars.  What do you mean by things
that "map out experience?".

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (11/19/90)

ary.ca (Garry Beirne) writes:

   The are several features of these MVWs that we in the 'visual' worlds
   might learn from.

   First, it is assumed that the occupant/participant/user/performer in a
   MVW is a 'virtuoso';  they are experts in communicating via very
   specific musical gestures (bowing the violin, playing the piano, etc.)
   and there is a well established vocabulary within the range of gestures
   they use.  In VR we almost always assume a naive user.  Why not follow
   the model of the instrument builder, and develop a set of gestures that
   are 'appropriate' to the task of communicating to and from the visual
   virtual world?

There is a place for both types of systems.  Consider the difference
in user interface between a CD player, a digital FM synthesizer, and a
MIDI sequencer.  All three are examples digital music technology, but
the first is designed to be used by a listener, and the second by a
performer, and the third by a composer.  In VR likewise, different
systems are suitable for the world user and the world builder.

Your suggestions are interesting, since they suggest a third class of
VR person -- the real-time VR artist.  Just as the world user is
analogous to the music listener, and the world builder is analogous to
the music composer, the real-time artist could be analogous to the
music performer.

Brian Yamauchi                          University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu               Computer Science Department

hlab@milton.u.washington.edu (Human Int. Technology Lab) (11/21/90)

I am very interested in the discussion of musical virtual world but I missed
the beginning of it. Could somebody who started the discussion send me
some information/references about the topics?

S.F. Wu    wu@canon.co.uk
Canon Research Centre Europe Ltd
17/20 Frederick Sanger Road
Surrey Research Park, Guildford