[sci.virtual-worlds] More Stanford Seminar News/11-27-90

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (11/28/90)

From: chapin@sunrise.Stanford.EDU (Bill Chapin)
Subject: VSIGroup NEWS

+++++++++++++++++++++++  VSIG ANNOUNCEMENTS  +++++++++++++++++++++++

 >>> Word came from the Santa Cruz Cyberspace conference committee
     last week that the deadline for abstracts for the April 19th
     event has been extended until December 20th.  No other details
     seem to have changed.  If you need a copy of the Call for
     Abstracts, send an email to virtual@ucscc.ucsc.edu.

 >>> There was a typographical error on previous forum schedules.
     The Autodesk presentation will be on WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12TH
     at 7:30pm in Terman Auditorium.

 >>> There will be an OPTIONAL session to meet at the regular place
     and time (Terman 583 at 2:15) on Nov. 28th for 3D CAD modeling
     fundamentals.  The session is intended for those who are
     curious as to how 3D geometry may be created in virtual space,
     but have never had the opportunity to have it explained or
     demonstrated.  It will VERY briskly examine the process of 3D
     geometry creation, object heirarchy, and 3D kinematics (a
     year's course in 50 minutes).  See abstract below.

 >>> For those students attending the forum for credit, there will
     be 10 total official forum meetings (Intro, Levoy, Bolas,
     Fisher, Rosen, Panel, Pixar, Habitat, Levit, Autodesk), plus
     two optional makeup sessions.  For credit, one must attend or
     view videotape of 9 of these 12 opportunities.  At the
     December 5th evening session there will be a sheet to sign
     to verify this attendance.  The sheet will also be in the M.E.
     Design Division office (Terman 551) during finals week.

 >>> For those registered students interested in the VSIGroup, there
     will be a meeting following the Habitat presentation in Terman
     on Wednesday evening probably around 9pm.

 >>> All of the remaining forums this quarter will be on Wednesday
     evenings at 7:30pm in Terman Auditorium.

 >>> For those coming from off-campus, wishing to find Terman
     Auditorium: exit I-280 at Alpine Road turning toward Palo Alto.
     Take a right at the first light onto Junipero Serra.  Turn
     left at the next light onto Campus Drive West. Turn right at
     the first stop sign onto Santa Teresa.  Terman Engineering
     Center will be across the intersection and to the left at
     next stop sign on Santa Teresa.  There is on-street parking and
     a parking garage at Panama St. and Via Ortega (two left turns
     from Santa Teresa).  The auditorium is on the first floor.

ME 297 -- Design Theory and Methodology Forum on Virtual Space

Next forum (Wed., Nov. 28th, 7:30, Terman Auditorium):

    Chip Morningstar & Randy Farmer
    AMIX

           "The Lessons of Lucasfilm's Habitat"

Lucasfilm's Habitat project was arguably one of the first attempts
to create a very large scale, commercial, multi-user virtual
environment.  The system was built on top of an ordinary commercial
online service, uses inexpensive home computers to support user
interaction, and can support a population of thousands of users in
a single, shared cyberspace.  Habitat presents its users with a
real-time animated view into an online virtual world in which users
can communicate, play games, go on adventures, fall in love, get
married, get divorced, start businesses, found religions, wage wars,
protest against them, and experiment with self government.  Its
current commercial incarnation in North America, QuantumLink's
"Club Caribe" is inhabited by a population of some 15,000 partici-
pants.  A technically more advanced version has recently begun
operation in Japan.  Habitat may be the closest approach yet made to
the sort of computational alternate universe envisioned in the works
of writers such as William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, and others.

The Habitat project proved to be a rich source of insights into the
nitty-gritty reality of actually implementing a serious, commerci-
ally viable cyberspace environment.  Our experiences developing
the Habitat system, and managing the virtual world that resulted,
offer a number of interesting and important lessons for prospective
cyberspace architects.  Lessons concerning both technical and
philosophical issues include:

> Why a multi-user environment is central to our vision of
    cyberspace.
> The limitations imposed by scarce communications bandwidth.
> The need for an object-oriented data representation.
> The relative unimportance of the implementation platform.
> The vital role of data communications standards.
> The impossibility of detailed central planning.
> The limitations of social engineering.
> Why you can't trust anyone.

The essential lesson abstracted from experiences with Habitat is
that a cyberspace is defined more by the interactions among the
actors within it than by the technology with which it is implemented.

While the presentation will feature many of the critical insights
made public at the first International Cyberspace Conference earlier
this year, Mr. Farmer and Mr. Morningstar will also share their
unique and evolving view of the "VR" world.  After an introduction,
the presentation will be informal and conducted while online into QuantumLink's
"Club Caribe" incarnation of Habitat.  Several VSIG
members have volunteered to lead the audience into Japan and
Fijitsu's Habitat.  The auditorium will be open till 10pm for those
that wish to stay and explore Habitat first hand.  Family and
friends are also invited to this fun evening presentation in Terman
Engineering Center's auditorium.  Randal Farmer and Chip Morningstar
were software developers with Lucasfilm, before recently becoming
founding members of the American Information Exchange (AMIX) in
Palo Alto.

ME 297 -- Design Theory and Methodology Forum on Virtual Space

Optional seminar (Wed., Nov. 28th, 2:15, Terman 583):

    William Chapin
    Stanford University Product Design

           3D Computer Aided Modeling Fundamentals

In an attempt to satisfy the curiosity of many students who have
expressed interest in knowing a little bit about how a virtual
world might be created and in understanding a few of the terms that
have been used during the quarter, this seminar will BRISKLY
overview concepts in 3D geometry, object creation & heirarchy,
representation, and 3D kinematics, with several examples.  The
seminar will make no assumption of any prior CAD experience and is
primarily intended for those wishing to gain some basic insights on
these topics.  While an engineering graphics research assistant and
instructor at the University of Illinois, Mr. Chapin developed a
semester grad level course in 3D micro-CAD design.

==============   "Green Concrete" DT&M Forum Schedule  ==============

    November
     28*   Chip Morningstar & Randy Farmer, AMIX
             Lessons learned from Lucasfilm's Habitat
             7:30pm, Terman Auditorium
    December
      5    Creon Levit, NASA
             Fluid Dynamics in First Person
             7:30pm, Terman Auditorium
     12    Randal Walser & Chris Allis, Autodesk Cyberia
             The new second generation Autodesk Cyberspace
             7:30pm, Terman Auditorium

  * Optional 3D modeling seminar at 2:15, Terman 583.

All members of the Stanford community, industry affiliates and
researchers in design and virtual space applications are invited.

sponsored by:
  the VIRTUAL SPACE INTEREST GROUP of STANFORD

E-mail:  vsig-request@sunrise.stanford.edu for more information.