[sci.virtual-worlds] New gadget for Mac 3-D input!

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) (11/28/90)

Paraphrased from _Macworld_, January 1991...

Page 221, the "New Products" section:

The Gold Brick is an interface that allows you to use three-dimensional
input.  It works with several types of controllers, including an
8-button input device (included).  Pictured with the device: a joystick,
a G-Force controller, and a *Power Glove*(!).

Price: $195

It's an ADB device, so installation should take about a minute :)

Transfinite Systems Company
(617)-969-9570

(The description also refers to "Apple's recently published standard
memory structure for three-dimensional input."  What is this?  Anyone?)

Sounds like an awfully useful gadget, and would save a lot of time for
those of you working on a Power Glove hack...

--
C Irby                             || "Go that way... *really* fast.
Internet:   cirby@vaxa.acs.unt.edu ||  If something gets in your way,

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (11/30/90)

In <11889@milton.u.washington.edu> cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) writes:
>The Gold Brick is an interface that allows you to use three-dimensional
>input.  It works with several types of controllers, including an
>8-button input device (included).  Pictured with the device: a joystick,
>a G-Force controller, and a *Power Glove*(!).
>
>Price: $195

I think it was mentioned earlier that even this device doesn't help you
use the high resolution mode of the powerglove. Since no one even knows
what processor is used in the glove and it is highly probable that you
need to send software to the glove processor to use a high resolution
mode, the ADB interface doesn't help much.

>(The description also refers to "Apple's recently published standard
>memory structure for three-dimensional input."  What is this?  Anyone?)

I remember reading about it somewhere, but a quick scan of technical
notes didn't produce anything useful. It must have been somewhere else.

I have a PowerGlove and even though I haven't connected it to a computer
yet, I'm convinced that I wouldn't like to use it for more than a few
minutes at a time. The glove material is just too thick to be comfortable.
I'm definitely waiting for the computer interface version. Does anyone
know what's holding up that one?

  / Juri Munkki     /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /