[net.space] Orion and Risks

MCGRATH@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU ("Jim McGrath") (01/03/86)

> From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL@mit-mc.arpa>

> The Orion program was canceled largely due to environmental concerns.
> The Orion program proposed launches to be made by detonating hundreds
> of nuclear bombs.  Had this program continued, we would probably have
> the solar system in our grasp today.  We would also have several
> thousand extra fatal cancers.  It was decided that it was not worth
> it.  I agree with that decision.  Though it should be pointed out that
> smoking causes about 100 times the deaths that Orion would have.

Why do you agree?  In 1981 Diabetes Mellitus killed 34,750 Americans;
heart disease 758,100; Atherosclerosis 28,750; Pneumonia 51,230;
automobiles 52,300.  The Korean War killed over 54,000 Americans, the
Vietnam War over 57,000.  While some of this data is useful only for
comparison purposes (auto deaths), others give some indication of how
many lives could have been saved if space had been developed in the
70's, resulting in massive advances in medicine (such as large scale
orbital vaccine production, research on heart disease in zero-g,
etc...), while the rest indicates that we placed more importance on
two indecisive small wars than the exploration and exploitation of
space.

A more concrete example, over 6,000 American deaths every year are
attributable to the burning of coal (mining, lung disease,
etc...).  A significant reliance on Solar Power Satellites would save
thousands of lives a year and result in massive environmental wins.

While some may have died from the development of Orion, many more
would have been saved.  People simply have to realize that NOTHING in
the world is safe.  Every act entails some risk, which can ultimately
be expressed in expected deaths.  You HAVE to look at cost/benefit
ratios to decide anything.  Orion clearly had a very low ratio, but
only if you took space development seriously - which people were
apparently not able to do 25 years ago.

> But if environmentalists object to everything, they quickly lose their
> credibility.  Expansion into space is necessary for the future of our
> species.  Without space, we are all doomed.  Blind opposition to all
> forms of space travel is counter-survival.

Total agreement here.  But in light of my previous comment, how many
deaths WOULD you accept for space?

Jim
-------