[sci.virtual-worlds] Cheap 3D?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.125931.1361@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki)
 writes:
>The Macintosh is not well suited for stereo animation, if you want to
>use a classic-style Macintosh (only two buffers) or if you want more
>than four colors from an 8 bit video card. Even with the 8 bit video
>card, you have to know how to access the video drivers directly and
>for that you need to read the "Designing Cards and Drivers..." book.

You can say that again.

Buy an Amiga 500 for <$800 and a pair of Haitex 3D goggles ($100 or so).
The Amiga is *designed* to do video work (master clock is NTSC and
accepts external sync :-).  The goggles are LCD shutter, and the display
format is pretty simple to use.

I think there's another set of 3D goggles available, but I don't know
anything about them...
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley) (12/01/90)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Buy an Amiga 500 for <$800 and a pair of Haitex 3D goggles ($100 or so).

Why are these glasses so expensive? They're only a couple of big LCD's.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to cannibalise an ordinary LCD
display to switch it all at once? That way you could build your own
shutters.  What would be particularly useful would be a connection to a
photosensitive switch: you stick a small sucker cup with a
photosensitive transistor inside in one corner of the screen and use it
to synchronise the shutters.  That way, I can use it on the University
computers since I don't own one of my own.

Electronics people?
--
\/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@uk.ac.ed.castle
/\__/ "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" - Sledge Hammer

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (12/01/90)

In article <12077@milton.u.washington.edu> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowle
y) writes:
>jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>Buy an Amiga 500 for <$800 and a pair of Haitex 3D goggles ($100 or so).
>
>Why are these glasses so expensive? They're only a couple of big LCD's.

$100 is actually quite reasonable. It requires money to market things
like these and there aren't all that many people willing to buy 3D glasses.

>Does anyone know if it would be possible to cannibalise an ordinary LCD
>display to switch it all at once? That way you could build your own
>shutters.

I don't think that this would work. LC displays are highly integrated
and you would still have to find a display with a single large pixel.
I recommend the Sega LC shutter glasses. They are extremely simple to
interface with almost anything and they cost US$34.95 plus US$2.20
shipping, if you get them from Sega ((800) 872-7342 (USA-SEGA)).

>What would be particularly useful would be a connection to a
>photosensitive switch: you stick a small sucker cup with a
>photosensitive transistor inside in one corner of the screen and use it
>to synchronise the shutters.  That way, I can use it on the University
>computers since I don't own one of my own.

Doesn't sound all that hard, but it has a problem. The computer has to
be aware of the vertical blanking and there's a danger of getting the
left and right screens reversed. Still, it's a good idea, since it works
quite well with interlaced displays (you loose 1/2 resolution).

This could also be a good way to provide a vertical sync signal to a
computer that doesn't have one. Just connect the device to a serial
port handshake line and let the computer watch that.

BTW, IMHO, the NeXTDimension color graphics board is currently the
best platform for fast color stereo graphics. Why? It has a very smart
clut that understands about windows. You define a window to have
two 16 bit color buffers while everything else is in 24 bit colour.

I guess you could expand that to four 8 bit color buffers, which is
just about right for most stereo 3D CAD applications. (Of course I'm
talking about serious applications here, so the low cost systems are
out almost by default.)

  / Juri Munkki     /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

larry@belch.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Foard) (12/02/90)

y) writes:

>jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>Buy an Amiga 500 for <$800 and a pair of Haitex 3D goggles ($100 or so).
>
>Why are these glasses so expensive? They're only a couple of big LCD's.

[stuff deleted]

I just ordered a pair of SEGA LCD glasses, they cost around $40. They haven't
arrived yet but I will post if I get them to work. Contrary to popular opinion
the Mac and Amiga arnt the only machines around that can do graphics, a 386sx
with 1024X768X256 color VGA is around $2000 (including monitor and harddrive).

sobiloff@stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (12/02/90)

y) writes:
>Why are these glasses so expensive? They're only a couple of big LCD's.

Yeah, but it's the quality of the material that you have to pay for. The
best liquid crystal material shaped into the size of a lense will set you
back about $1000. The better the material the faster it can switch states
(opaque and clear) and the greater the diversity between the two states (ie
the darker and the clearer the material gets, respectively). To be able to
go completely opaque and back to completely clear in 1/60th of a second or
faster is quite a feat!
                                                -Blake
--