[sci.virtual-worlds] Musical Instruments in VR

hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (12/02/90)

I recently attended a performance which was proof by demonstration
that virtuosity on musical instruments can be captured in VR without
any force or tactile feedback.

I saw a performance which included a Theremin.

The Theremin was introduced in 1928 by Lev Theremin at (if I remember
correctly) a New York Philharmonic performance.  For two decades
serious orchestral and chamber music was written for this instrument.
There is, in fact, a CD of Theremin music from this period.  In the
forties the Hollywood film industry 'discovered' the Theremin and
used it to score science fiction movies.  Classical interest in
the instrument dropped at the same time.

The Theremin is a console, about four feet high, with a vertical pole
antenna coming out of the top and a loop antenna coming out of the
side.  The vertical antenna control pitch; the loop antenna controls
volume.  The musician controls these by varying hand position relative
to the antenna; the body capacitance is the coupling.  The circuit is
set up so that one can kill the sound by dipping a hand or finger into
the loop, thus allowing discrete notes.  With much practice, one can
play complex tunes on it.

At no time does one touch the antennas, though there are some control
knobs on the box--this is a tube machine, after all.  Thus a virtual
theremin is certainly possible.

In order to get a good sound, the musician waves a hand in front of
the pitch antenna, creating vibrato.  I timed the speed of this
hand-waving; it's about 20 cycles per second.  To accurately digitize
this would require a sampling rate in hand position and location of
about 50 Hz, possibly more; it's not clear to me what the highest
frequency of interest is to apply Shannon's criterion.

The instrument takes a lot of practice to able to play tunes.  There
are no frets, buttons, or keys to produce sound.  There is still
living, in New York City, the Philharmonic's virtuoso Theremin player
of the twenties; she is in her eighties.  Dennis James, the musician
at the performance I saw, has met her and heard her perform.  He
reports that she is simply amazing and that well-played, the
instrument is beautiful, not just interesting.

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) (12/04/90)

Does anyone know of anyone that currently performs on a theramin and if
any of these people ever tour with this instrument?

--
         Cogito ergo es.          |  "This is just the sort of thing that
     (I think therefore I is.)    |       people never believe."
         * * *   Steve J. White: aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   * * *

brucec%phoebus.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (12/04/90)

In article <HUGHES.90Dec1123234@locusts.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@locusts.Berkeley.ED
U (Eric Hughes) writes:

> I recently attended a performance which was proof by demonstration
> that virtuosity on musical instruments can be captured in VR without
> any force or tactile feedback.
>
> I saw a performance which included a Theremin.

While I am fascinated by the theremin, and in great awe of anyone who can
play it at all well, I'd have to say that it's the exception which proves
the rule.  To the best of my knowledge there is only one player living who
has reached anything like virtuoso quality.  It's true, this is partly
because of the scorn the instrument is held in as a result of the
association with science-fiction movies, but it's also because it is
incredibly difficult to play well.  Imagine trying to play a violin without
a sense of touch and you get the idea.

> The instrument takes a lot of practice to able to play tunes.  There
> are no frets, buttons, or keys to produce sound.  There is still
> living, in New York City, the Philharmonic's virtuoso Theremin player
> of the twenties; she is in her eighties.  Dennis James, the musician
> at the performance I saw, has met her and heard her perform.  He
> reports that she is simply amazing and that well-played, the
> instrument is beautiful, not just interesting.

Yes, she's the one I meant.  A few weeks ago, I got a chance to see the
tape of her television broadcast (from sometime in the sixties) again.
Beautiful!

Don't take me to mean that I think we *have* to have feedback for good
interfaces.  On the contrary, I think we need to investigate interfaces
both with and without, so we can learn how to design interfaces for all
sorts of applications and all sorts of people.  Bill Buxton of the
University of Toronto showed that tape at OOPSLA in Toronto to make the
point that we should not ignore the needs of the expert and the virtuoso
in our drive to provide easy interfaces for the novice and the casual user.
I agree.
Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekchips.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077