[sci.virtual-worlds] Toward a Typology/Topology of Virtual Worlds

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (11/23/90)

Bernie Roehl, in a discussion of MUDs, has raised the very significant
issue:  How do we categorize virtual worlds?  This issue has been
raised in many fora -- here, on The WELL, at conferences innumerable,
and in private discussions.

Has anyone thoughts along the lines of how we might create a typology,
based on the topology, of virtual worlds?  This typology might include
everything from the static "world" of the written page to the ultra-
dynamic, interactive virtual worlds that we more often speak about
here.

With your permission, I would like to archive these ideas for possible
inclusion in an invited proposal for a conference possibly to be
sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation on the science of
virtual worlds.

Thanks.

Bob Jacobson
Moderator

(You can also reply to me at cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu if you
prefer not to have your thoughts become public.  However, I encourage
public postings.)

Pezely@udel.edu (Cowboy Dan) (11/25/90)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>Has anyone thoughts along the lines of how we might create a typology,
>based on the topology, of virtual worlds?  This typology might include
>everything from the static "world" of the written page to the ultra-
>dynamic, interactive virtual worlds that we more often speak about
>here.

Looking at this issue before, we developed a Detail Level which
provides a mechanism for allowing low-end cyberspace decks to be almost
as functional, even if not as efficient, as the high-end ones when
connecting to a world.

This detail level does not have to be limited just to the graphical
messages but can also be used for trimming bandwidth for dial-up
connections, long distance transmissions, etc.

So, with this, even the text based MUDs can be seen as a virtual world
with very simple i/o.  All that the current MUDs would need to connect
to our systems would be a translator for the `go west' (or whatever;
it's been a while since I've been in the mud) commands to the VEOS
protocol for changing position or location.

-Cowboy Dan
<Pezely@udel.edu>

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (11/25/90)

In article <11583@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Rob
ert Jacobson) writes:
>Bernie Roehl, in a discussion of MUDs, has raised the very significant
>issue:  How do we categorize virtual worlds?

Since I was the one who opened this particular can of worms, let me be
the first to pull one out.

I would suggest that we view all the various possible types of virtual
worlds as coexisting in a kind of "multiverse".  The different types are
not connected, because they have different representations (different
"laws" govern them, if you will).

>Has anyone thoughts along the lines of how we might create a typology,
>based on the topology, of virtual worlds?

The typology might be based not so much on *topology* as on the
representation scheme used (since that is what restricts a particular
abstract "thing" to a particular type of VR).  A character from a novel
would not necessarily be found wandering around a Cyberspace building.
(Or rather, if they *were* found there it would be a character with
many similar attributes to, but disconnected from, the text
version (i.e. changes to one don't affect the other)).

>This typology might include
>everything from the static "world" of the written page to the ultra-
>dynamic, interactive virtual worlds that we more often speak about
>here.

I strongly feel that a VR must be interactive.  To me, a book is not
(strictly speaking) a VR, nor is television.  Neither is a film or a
recording.

It should also be possible for multiple people to share
in the virtual reality.  (This does not mean that VRs must *always* be
occupied by more than one person, but rather that the capability must be
there).

Beyond that, I believe a true VR should be malleable, in the sense
that it changes over time as a result of the actions of people interacting
with it.  (Simply being able to fast-forward over commercials on a VCR does
not make videotapes an example of VR, even though the user is interacting
with it).

Aside from that, very few restrictions apply.  Furthermore, the list of
attributes that characterize a VR is large and extensible.

Let's consider two possible attributes...

The virtual world that we're sharing right now (i.e. the one in which
this discussion is taking place) is characterized by being text-based
and non-synchronous (i.e.  people post at random times in a random
sequence, and the order of arrival of articles can vary from site to
site).

Internet Relay Chat is text-based but synchronous.

A telephone "party line" is speech-based and synchronous.

The particular flavor of VR that we often discuss in this newsgroup is
visual and synchronous.

MUDs are text-based and synchronous/asynchronous (i.e. people can interact
in "real time", but can also leave each other virtual notes and in other
ways modify the virtual environment in a way that affects other people at
a later point in time).

And so on.

This is a first cut at a typology, and it's late and I'm tired, but I hope
it provides a jumping-off point for discussion...

--
        Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
        Mail: broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu OR broehl@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca

jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov25.040525.22232@watserv1.waterloo.edu>
broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:
>The virtual world that we're sharing right now (i.e. the one in which
>this discussion is taking place) is characterized by being text-based
>and non-synchronous (i.e. people post at random times in a random
>sequence, and the order of arrival of articles can vary from site to
>site).

I prefer the term "asynchronous" to "non-synchronous".

>The particular flavor of VR that we often discuss in this newsgroup is
>visual and synchronous.
>
>MUDs are text-based and synchronous/asynchronous (i.e. people can interact
>in "real time", but can also leave each other virtual notes and in other
>ways modify the virtual environment in a way that affects other people at
>a later point in time).

I propose the attributes of "persistence" and "transience".  A VR is
persistent is it has a "history" that can be accessed from within the VR.
Usenet news and MUDs are persistent, but IRC and party-lines are transient.
One can add noninteractive, asynchronous persistence to IRC and party-lines
by means of text-logging and tape-recorders.

To expand a bit upon a prior posting, one dimension along which to
characterize a virtual world is mallability.  I see three easy to
identify cases:

1) The VR is user-immutable. The user moves through it as a ghost,
walking through open doors only, sitting in chairs but not moving them,
experiencing the VR but not manipulating it. This might be a suitable
way to access an extremely fancy canned database.

2) The VR is user-mutable. The user moves through it opening doors, and
they stay open, rearranging the furniture, and it stays put for the next
access.

3) The VR is user-configurable. The user moves through it adding doors
or designing furniture, and they are there for the next access.

In game terms, 1) may be compared to solving a maze, 2) to playing rogue
or a nethack without the bones files, and 3) to a user-configurable MUD.

In addition, for shared VRs, one may partition between

1) VRs that exist as a separate reality with its own state space for
each user, even though the data base on which the VR is first
experienced may be common.

2) VRs that communicate changes to other users in a shared reality, by
passing a modified state space after a session.

3) VRs that communicate changes to other users interactively by sharing
changes to the state space in "real time".

In game terms, 1) is Pacman, 2) is nethack's bones level, or a MUD design
session change, and 3) is a MUD being played or a mazewar session.

Kent, the man from xanth.

brucec%phoebus.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (11/27/90)

ert Jacobson) writes:

> Has anyone thoughts along the lines of how we might create a typology,
> based on the topology, of virtual worlds?  This typology might include
> everything from the static "world" of the written page to the ultra-
> dynamic, interactive virtual worlds that we more often speak about
> here.

There are several categorizations of virtual worlds which ought to be
explored:

    1) The quality of the interface: the typology which Bob Jackson refers
       to in the above posting.  I can think of a number of axes you could
       use to distinguish interfaces:

        a) single vs. multiple users

        b) static vs. user-modifiable environments (can I pick up that
           wrench, and if I put it in the next room, will I find it there the
           next time I enter this world?)

        c) sensory modalities:
            a) visual - submodalities include color, stereo, coverage of
               field-of-vision, etc.
            b) auditory - submodalities include directionality, control of
               "presence" (reverb, differential attenuation of echoes, etc.)
            c) haptic (touch, temperature, texture)
            d) olfactory (anybody remember Smell-o-Vision?)
            e) kinesthetic (force-feedback, externally-imposed
               accelerations and orientations wrt gravity

        d) similarity to the "Real World" (lots of dimensions here!)  It
           might be simplest to constrain this categorization to deal only
           with the question of fidelity, and open up the
           variations-of-reality worm-can separately.

        e) how are symbolic objects handled? (voice ouput, letters of fire
           in the air, etc.)  Come to think of it that's a great idea for
           the system icon: a burning bush :-).

    2) The application to which the interface is put.  This will determine
       some of the requirements for the interface design, e.g., if you are
       limited to maintaining a known database, you'll need a less open
       (extensible, flexible, etc.) interface than if you are exploring
       databases whose format and content is initially unknown to you.  Some
       application areas:

        a) games and interactive fiction

        b) database manipulation and maintenance

        c) database exploration

        d) data analysis and visualization (also process and system simulation)

        e) total system user interface (the Virtual WorkPlace (tm) :-))

        f) teleoperation

        g) operator-training simulation

        h) "walk-throughs"

    3) The extent to which the system is distributed geographically across
       host computers, sub-databases, etc.  This categorization raises
       interesting design requirement and implementation questions like
       synchronization, interface latency, background processing, and
       replication of objects.

> With your permission, I would like to archive these ideas for possible
> inclusion in an invited proposal for a conference possibly to be
> sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation on the science of
> virtual worlds.

Permission gladly granted.
Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekchips.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (11/27/90)

In article <11673@milton.u.washington.edu> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul
Dolan) writes:
>3) The VR is user-configurable. The user moves through it adding doors
>or designing furniture, and they are there for the next access.

Which leads to design ideas such as aliases and macros in order to
configure one's paths. Eventually a lot of the abstractions used
in normal user interface design could be implemented as part of
the VR navigation. The question is that is this user-friendly
for the common VR user, with the exception of VR hackers?

The general rule with plain 2 or 3-dimensional interface design is
to imitate the real life. With VR the designer has the temptation
to break all rules, good or bad. Eventually one strategy is to map
everything from the non-virtual life 1:1, and the only addition is
the speed of time, which could be controlled.

I.e if the user wants to travel from VR point A to VR point B, he/she
takes a bicycle, but the distance travelled seems to be short due to
an increase in the TIMESPEED variable (selectable from the bicycle
handle....).

Kent Sandvik
--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND

erich@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Erich Stefan Boleyn) (11/27/90)

   Tossing in my $0.02...

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:

>I would suggest that we view all the various possible types of virtual
>worlds as coexisting in a kind of "multiverse".  The different types are
>not connected, because they have different representations (different
>"laws" govern them, if you will).

   I assume this would allow for user definable representation methodologies
that can interact with each other, perhaps even allowing for transferring (or
not, as the user wishes) the representation of something with it to another
user's environment.  Different users would be more efficient working in
perhaps completely different methodologies.

>It should also be possible for multiple people to share
>in the virtual reality.  (This does not mean that VRs must *always* be
>occupied by more than one person, but rather that the capability must be
>there).

   This would be not unlike the idea of how we each have an internal model
that corresponds in some manner to the world around us, yet they all
map somewhat differently.  The allowance would be for a *big* differece,
though.

>Beyond that, I believe a true VR should be malleable, in the sense
>that it changes over time as a result of the actions of people interacting
>with it...

   Changing the underlying data, of course (?).

   Erich

             "I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where it is."
     / --  Erich Stefan Boleyn  -- \       --=> *Mad Genius wanna-be* <=--
    { Honorary Grad. Student (Math) }--> Internet E-mail: <erich@cs.pdx.edu>
     \  Portland State University  /  >%WARNING: INTERESTED AND EXCITABLE%<

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (11/28/90)

In article <11743@milton.u.washington.edu> Pezely@udel.edu (Cowboy Dan) writes:

>So, with this, even the text based MUDs can be seen as a virtual world
>with very simple i/o.  All that the current MUDs would need to connect
>to our systems would be a translator for the `go west' (or whatever;
>it's been a while since I've been in the mud) commands to the VEOS
>protocol for changing position or location.

I hope there's a general interest to define a common interface that
a cyberdeck could make use of with the low i/o MUD systems that appear
on the NET today. This would mean that there would be a nice evolution
of cyberspace nodes. All we need is a concensus to create a
defined text interface where 'go west' means go west. If not, one
needs a knowledge interpreteter that tries to figure out all the needed/
working commands.

I don't see any real problems to hack together the first 3D MUD
cyberdecks, as long as the MUD databases would have a common set
of commands - sort of VRSQL.

Please keep ANSI away from this standardization effort, it would take
20 years to write the first alpha draft :-).

regards,
Kent Sandvik

--

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (11/30/90)

In article <11645@milton.u.washington.edu> jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai
) writes:
>I prefer the term "asynchronous" to "non-synchronous".

So do I, but I was concerned people might confuse the medium with the mode
(i.e. "asynchronous" communications lines).  Actually, I'd like to avoid
this "overloading of operators" and find a better pair of words that
'synchronous' and 'asynchronous'.  Ideas?

>I propose the attributes of "persistence" and "transience".  A VR is
>persistent is it has a "history" that can be accessed from within the VR.
>Usenet news and MUDs are persistent, but IRC and party-lines are transient.

Sounds very good to me.

--

jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.162751.6048@watserv1.waterloo.edu>
broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:
>In article <11645@milton.u.washington.edu> jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu
>(Jim W Lai) writes:
>>I prefer the term "asynchronous" to "non-synchronous".
>
>So do I, but I was concerned people might confuse the medium with the mode
>(i.e. "asynchronous" communications lines).  Actually, I'd like to avoid
>this "overloading of operators" and find a better pair of words that
>'synchronous' and 'asynchronous'.  Ideas?

More intuitive VRs associate each event/interaction with a time based on when
they were generated.  Netnews based such events (articles) are associated with
a time based on reception, which is not necessarily consistent with time of
generation.  How about time-consistent and time-inconsistent?

PLai@cup.portal.com (12/02/90)

Bob Jacobson says:

>Has anyone thoughts along the lines of how we might create a typology,
>based on the topology, of virtual worlds?  This typology might include
>everything from the static "world" of the written page to the ultra-
>dynamic, interactive virtual worlds that we more often speak about
>here.

Well there is a problem that I have been workin on that is close to this:
Lets say you have an ai that is reading the interactions of a group
of people going through a text base MUG(multi-user game).  This ai is
suppose to simimulate NPC's (non-player characters) and needs to be smart
enough to know what is in a room to interact with the PC's ( human player
characters) in a way that it, the ai, appears like a human.  The problem
is how does the ai generate a local (local to the ai's mind) spatial
database from reading the text?

There are trivial ways of hard coding this kind of thing, but in
order to do it in a general way, the ai needs to slowly generate relational
connections between objects and chunked objects.  Thus the cyberspace
generated by the ai is a computational mapping of how objects are related
in space, and associated textually.  A few general principles stand out:

1. That the objects have only a spatial meaning in terms of other
   objects - i.e. a thumb is a inch away from the palm
2. Objects are spatially related by transforms, not through coordinate