[sci.virtual-worlds] EyePhones Question

ba-rt451@barney.bgsu.edu (Doug Landers) (11/26/90)

I have been doing research on virtual reaality and have one final
question.  For as long as I can remember 'experts' have been telling
the US public that watching TV close is bad for our eyes, and that
pregnant women should avoid computer terminals.  Is there something
special about the EyePhones that don't hurt the human eyes? I have
read quite a bit on VR, thanks to some of you, and that question
never came up in any of my readings. Is there something that I missed
that would make it alright to have screens a few inches from my eyes.
It seems as though that would cause a strain on my eyes. Am I way
off base? Are the future VR users all going to be hurting their eyes
after each VR experience? I have finished my paper, but I am still
interested in responses to my question. Thank you for your time.

Doug Landers
BGSU CS student
ba-rt451@barney.bgsu.edu

pepke@SCRI1.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Eric Pepke) (11/26/90)

In article <11675@milton.u.washington.edu> ba-rt451@barney.bgsu.edu (Doug
Landers) writes:
> I have been doing research on virtual reaality and have one final
> question.  For as long as I can remember 'experts' have been telling
> the US public that watching TV close is bad for our eyes, and that
> pregnant women should avoid computer terminals.  Is there something
> special about the EyePhones that don't hurt the human eyes?

The EyePhones use LCD displays, not CRT's.  LCD's run on low voltages and
so pose no electrocution risk, do not emit even the tiny amount of X-rays
that CRT's do, and do not emit the currently controversial VLF fields that
the magnetic beam deflection mechanisms of CRT's do.  So, all those dire
warnings don't apply.

Now, this doesn't mean that having those screens there does not cause
unpleasant effects.  At minimum, one is going to have the same
difficulties that one has with 3-D movies.  The screen is at a fixed
distance and so requires a certain focus, but the binocularity information
may indicate various distances to the objects on the screen.  Also, people
often exaggerate the binocularity to make everything look like Dr.
Tongue's 3-D House of Pancakes.  Unfortunately, all that stuff is wired
together in your head, and when you get two different pieces of
information about distance, your brain gets confused.

Fortunately, none of this seems to do any damage to your eyes or brain,
unless of course you get so dizzy that you fall over and hit your head.
When your mother told you that you would go blind if you read in dim
light, she was wrong.  You might go "Ow!" and then you should probably
stop, but you won't go blind.

There are very few people who have spent more than a few minutes inside
one of these things.  Those that have say that after a while you adjust to
it.  When I get mine working, I'll let you know.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (11/27/90)

The reason there is no uproar about the proximity of Eyephone screens to the
eyes is that they are color LCD screens, not CRT tubes.
It is CRTs that are dangerous to have close to the eyes for long periods of
time.

There it is...

-dfRERICHS
Univ of IL/CU
Dept of CompEng

chrise@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Chris Esposito) (12/04/90)

In article <11698@milton.u.washington.edu> pepke@SCRI1.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Eric
Pepke) writes:

>There are very few people who have spent more than a few minutes inside
>one of these things.  Those that have say that after a while you adjust to
>it.  When I get mine working, I'll let you know.

I figure I've spent a total of about 20 hours wearing VPL Eyephones since
early October with no noticeable effects as yet.  I find that with the
inter-ocular distance set properly, the 3-D effects are are fairly good as
soon as I put them on but improve a bit more after I have been inside the
virtual world for more than 5 minutes or so.  Taking the 'phones off and
coming back to the real world then becomes a slightly unsettling experience -
it's almost as if while inside you adapted somewhat to the lower resolution and
slower update rates and then had to switch back.
--
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind" - Dan Quayle at a Weight Watchers group
Chris Esposito                      | Internet: chrise@atc.boeing.com