[sci.virtual-worlds] Wiewer's Choice

steve@apple.com (Steve Savitzky) (12/08/90)

I found Arnaud's view of CyberSpace to be very interesting; it meshes
in many ways with my own.  But I would like to argue strongly against
his contention that everyone should share the same view of virtual
objects.

I believe that such things as fonts, document formats, icons, images,
and whatever should be *hints*, not demands.  For example, I am
left-handed and nearsighted.  I would like to be able to view a
document that presents itself as a virtual book by holding it in my
right hand and flipping pages with my left, which means that I want
page 1 to be in the "back".  I want the font to be 12-point, not the
10-point that is more usual for books.  I don't like sans-serif fonts
in which I can't distinguish "i", "I", "l", and "1".  And so on.
A blind person would have even more drastic preferences.

Similarly, when meeting people in a virtual environment, I would
generally want to see them in the form they intend to present, but I
might occasionally prefer to present a particular politician with the
head of a toad.  Since I am poor at remembering names, I would like to
display virtual nametags on the people I meet.  Different people might
want to see different information on such nametags.

Preference arguments apply even more strongly to commands (gestures,
magic words, virtual tools, and the like).  I currently have a rather
large and very idiosyncratic collection of private shell aliases and
emacs key-bindings; I would expect no less in a virtual environment.

In short, a virtual reality should, as much as possible, separate
content from appearance.  This has the desirable side-effect of
greatly decreasing bandwidth, and putting the burden of presentation
on the user's local equipment, thus giving users the the option of
paying for only the level of presentation they actually need.  (We
should neither exclude blind users, nor expect them to acquire
eyephones they can't use and image data they don't need.)

This said, there are of course cases in which a shared view will be
expected.  It would probably be disconcerting if two people sharing a
virtual office disagreed about where things were in it, although they
might indeed prefer different colors on the walls.  Games and other
simulations would probably enforce a uniform view as well.  Sometimes
I might even want to view a document with all of its author's
formatting hints, especially if I knew that that author's designs were
particularly innovative or especially beautiful.
--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

brucec%phoebus.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (12/11/90)

In article <12618@milton.u.washington.edu> arc!steve@apple.com (Steve Savitzky)
writes:
> I found Arnaud's view of CyberSpace to be very interesting; it meshes
> in many ways with my own.  But I would like to argue strongly against
> his contention that everyone should share the same view of virtual
> objects.

I agree with Steve's argument completely.  There are simply too many
differences between individual people to expect that one view of reality
will fit all of us.  Hell, we don't really share one view of reality even
when talking about consensus reality!

Another strong argument against an (enforced) common interface is that
there will be pressure to keep it from changing, even if there are good
reasons for it to do so.  I doubt very much that any standards body (and
I've been on several of them) will be able to specify an interface which
can grow in unexpected directions.  And this sort of evolution is exactly
what's making VR possible in the first place.

> This said, there are of course cases in which a shared view will be
> expected.  It would probably be disconcerting if two people sharing a
> virtual office disagreed about where things were in it, although they
> might indeed prefer different colors on the walls.  Games and other
> simulations would probably enforce a uniform view as well.  Sometimes
> I might even want to view a document with all of its author's
> formatting hints, especially if I knew that that author's designs were
> particularly innovative or especially beautiful.

Yes, but notice that the final choice is the user's, NOT the author's or
the programmer's.  The way to deal with this problem is to develop
protocols which allow an interface designer to specify a recommended level
of commonality, or even several, with enumerations of the attributes which
should be used as given at each level.
Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekchips.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (12/15/90)

writes:
>I believe that such things as fonts, document formats, icons, images,
>and whatever should be *hints*, not demands.  For example, I am
>left-handed and nearsighted.  I would like to be able to view a
>document that presents itself as a virtual book by holding it in my
>right hand and flipping pages with my left, which means that I want
>page 1 to be in the "back".  I want the font to be 12-point, not the
>10-point that is more usual for books.  I don't like sans-serif fonts
>in which I can't distinguish "i", "I", "l", and "1".  And so on.

Ok, ok ! I agree with you. You have a point. But I think that the
examples you are giving are good, and some other may be not so good.
Let's admit that you can wear some virtual glasses that can "correct"
in some way your view of the world, but not drastically change it,
and always leave you a way to quickly and easily get back to the original
message.

>A blind person would have even more drastic preferences.

I don't think he could use visual CyberSpace as we imagin it today,
although we might use big-sized braille pads, or have some totally
different environnement, maybe based on sound which is a sense
that blind people have usually well developped.

Steve says he wants to put labels on people with their names,
prefered brand of beer and the like (I extrapolate)]
It's Ok. Don't you think that a pair of glasses would do
the trick ? As to really change the appearance I disagree,
I find it unfair, it's like using the y-ray glasses that allow
you to see people naked even when they're clothed.

>Preference arguments apply even more strongly to commands (gestures,
>magic words, virtual tools, and the like). [...]

Once again, it's ok. I do not say that we must have an uniformized
common virtual reality. Have your own tool set. You use it,
you're happy with it. Fine.

My point is that the view of objects we share should be the same.
If I send you a message in a given form, receive it that way.
[Ok, now I'm a refering to an article posted by someone else
 beuuuuuh but being NOT an UNIX/rn/e-macs/tty (I don't
know which is the culprit (and don't say it's me :-> (and
by the way having no memory either (I would surely need
glasses wuth nametags), I am not able to post parts of this article
here, not to cite his author]
I do not think (IMHO) that we should have "laws" or "rules" or
"security mechanisms" to protect our messages from being
viewed differently. If you want by some magical/electronical
effect change the picture of myself I put in my letter as a
picture of myself nude and send it to alt.sex.bestiality (where
it probably belong :-) I am not going to charge you in law
(is that correct english ?, I mean ask justice to suspend
your CyberSpace account and copy one thousand time (by hand)
"I shall not play with my little friend's picture".) Well,
as long as it's funny, and non diffamatory (does this word
exists ? I feel great tonigth). If had not been such a
UNIX hostile I would have put some part of your message there.
I don't think you would have flammed me for this, neither
if I used 9point italic instaead of you 12 point.
The point is: If I send you some information that is non-textual
but embedded in some textual information (page layout, etc)
the CyberSpace should send it to you that way, and you should
receive it that way, even if you alter it after (on whatever
purpose you like).
BTW, I think that doing such kind of "automatic" translation
will be very-very difficult. Think of it: We can't do that
today as soon as it's just a bit complicated.
An example: A friend of mine tried to import a Word RTF document
into WriteNow for the Mac. The text was here but all the formatting
was... strange. The fonts were incorrect, etc.
Think of it: Today there is no good way for blind people to
use graphic-based computers. We are just unable to translate
all those nice graphics into something they can perceive.
The only solution I see for CyberSpace is to work very hard
in healt science or electronic implants so that
there will be no blind when CyberSpace will really exist.
(However, I sincerely hope that we will not need such
excuses to make those progresses).

[Now, I'm slighly disagreeing with Steve's example]
[ Sorry if I can't put it there, I am really NOT an e-macs
guru and I'm lost if I do not have cut/copy/paste]
If we are living in the same virtual office, let's have the
walls the same color, the furniture the same place...
Imagine you ask me "Where is the backup of this article you wrote
about Antarctica ?". And I reply "Oh, it's in the file cabinet near
the window with blue curtains (Private joke for ML)", and that in
your view there IS a windows with blue curtains but that's not the
same as mine. Imagine what a mess !!

>I might even want to view a document with all of its author's
>formatting hints, especially if I knew that that author's designs were
>particularly innovative or especially beautiful.

I agree very much with you here.

>--
>\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
> \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \
>  \ arc!steve@apple.COM \ Santa Clara, CA 95954   \        408-727-3357      \

[Plus an anonymous author to which I apologise ]

Arnaud.--
 / Arnaud Gourdol.      //         On the netland : gourdol@imag.fr /