[sci.virtual-worlds] Consumer Markets for VR

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (12/08/90)

I am about to ask a question that should make most VR researchers stop and
think...

Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
(ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
becomes available.
I am playing the devils advocate for the research team I am in.
Consider that it probably wont be full color and not of a high enough
quality for professional CAD but convincing enough to give a sense of seeing
3D objects that aren't really there.  It could be stand alone or use a host.

I know the myriad of high end visualization, data manipulation and interaction
uses of VR, but what about Joe Schmoe, what could he use it for other than a
toy?  Remember, Joe doen't have $70K to drop at VPL (modest est.)
(I'm not looking for VR telephones or anything like that. I'm looking at this
year not 5 yrs down the road.)

-dfRERICHS
Univ of IL/CU
Dept of CompEng
IEEE/SigGraph

veenu@mtfmi.att.com (Veenu R Rashid) (12/09/90)

In article <12617@milton.u.washington.edu>, frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J F
rerichs) writes:

> I am about to ask a question that should make most VR researchers stop and
> think...
>
> Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
> (ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
> becomes available.
> I am playing the devils advocate for the research team I am in.
> Consider that it probably wont be full color and not of a high enough
> quality for professional CAD but convincing enough to give a sense of seeing
> 3D objects that aren't really there.  It could be stand alone or use a host.
>
> I know the myriad of high end visualization, data manipulation and interaction
> uses of VR, but what about Joe Schmoe, what could he use it for other than a
> toy?  Remember, Joe doen't have $70K to drop at VPL (modest est.)
> (I'm not looking for VR telephones or anything like that. I'm looking at this
> year not 5 yrs down the road.)
>
> -dfRERICHS
> Univ of IL/CU
> Dept of CompEng
> IEEE/SigGraph

One reason for consumers to buy a simple VR setup may be for communicating
actions and pictures.  Imagine a graphical display (nothing fancy, just VGA
or so resolution) connected to a fast modem or ethernet logging on to a main
system (a VR server) to post messages, use VR programs, etc.  One of the main
uses for VR, and probably a reason for its consumer appeal would be the ability
to interface graphically or aurally with other people or network abstractions.
How about a Virtual Shopping Mall, with pictures, animations and descriptions?
Data representation of stocks, budget finances can be a lot easier analyzable.
Of course, interaction with other players via real-time action games already
exist and are rapidly becoming more popular.

Several low-cost systems exist which can be connected via a VR interface.  The
NeXT offers sound and graphics for around $5000, while the A3000 offers better
display speeds for around $3000.  Each can serve as a VR terminal already.
This could be integrated with connectivity with the right combination of VR
programs, standalone applications and server networking.  The problem however
would be to have an existing standard via which VR terminals could communicate.

I would be interested in hearing about other peoples thoughts on the subject,
especially that of standardizing a protocol.

Ruze

pathak@mbunix.mitre.org (Pathak) (12/10/90)

erichs) writes:

>I am about to ask a question that should make most VR researchers stop and
>think...
>
>Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
>(ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
>becomes available.
>I am playing the devils advocate for the research team I am in.
>Consider that it probably wont be full color and not of a high enough
>quality for professional CAD but convincing enough to give a sense of seeing
>3D objects that aren't really there.  It could be stand alone or use a host.
>

>-dfRERICHS
>Univ of IL/CU
>Dept of CompEng
>IEEE/SigGraph

I can imaging a system that would allow people to visit exotic vacation and
historical spots (Kenya, Egypt, Ancient Rome...).  Other alternatives could
allow the user to be transported to "live performances" (the local football
game, the opera....).  Just look at what is currently on TV and I think
you could find a number of "programs" that people would rather see and hear
in stereo.  Also think of the education advantages the system could provide.
Want to teach your child about space...take a trip to the Moon, etc.

IMHO VR systems have the capability to make even a greater impact than TV
for the average person.  All it takes is some creativity from the "experts".

Heeren Pathak
pathak@mitre.org
I think if some sort
of generic system like that could be found, people would pay a fair amount
or money for it.

steve@apple.com (Steve Savitzky) (12/11/90)

erichs) writes:

  Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
  (ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
  becomes available.

There are forms of entertainment that are not specifically "gaming",
i.e. VR "movies", tourism (the exploration of a virtual universe,
whether a simulation of some real place or a fantasy), etc.  Leaving
all these variations aside, there are many "useful" things that could
be done at home:

o CAD, especially architecture.  Even a low-resolution system would be
  sufficient for exploring alternative designs for houses, kitchen
  remodeling, and so on.

o House shopping.  Why get into a car to go house shopping when most
  places can be eliminated with a quick walk-through from home.

o Shopping in general.  Product demonstrations, the "virtual
  supermarket", and so on.  Especially good when shopping for clothes.

o Educational simulations.

o Virtual travel.  Travel to anyplace on the globe (or anyplace in the
  solar system).  Especially good if one can go to museums in far-off
  places and see what's on the walls.

o VR conferencing.  Family get-togethers, discussion groups, clubs,
  costume parties, and so on.  I suspect that many people would enjoy
  getting together with others in "virtual places."  (The effect of VR
  on science fiction conventions can only be imagined.)

--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (12/11/90)

erichs) writes:

>I am about to ask a question that should make most VR researchers stop and
>think...
>Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
>(ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
>becomes available.
>I am playing the devils advocate for the research team I am in.
>Consider that it probably wont be full color and not of a high enough
>quality for professional CAD but convincing enough to give a sense of seeing
>3D objects that aren't really there.  It could be stand alone or use a host.
>
>I know the myriad of high end visualization, data manipulation and interaction
>uses of VR, but what about Joe Schmoe, what could he use it for other than a
>toy?  Remember, Joe doen't have $70K to drop at VPL (modest est.)
>(I'm not looking for VR telephones or anything like that. I'm looking at this
>year not 5 yrs down the road.)

How about a Home Construction Set where Mr. and Mrs. Schmoe can build
themselves a virtual home.  Could be useful for doing a rough design
of their dream home or adding that long dreamed of greenhouse which
could then be taken to an architect for finishing.  Could also be
used to rearrange furniture in the rooms to see what it would look
like before actually moving the furniture.  Landscaping...
Or...
Auto Mechanic:  A complete training course in car repair.  Cut-away
views, color highlights, x-ray vision and other techniques combined
with the ability to reach into the scene and change things to see what
happens could work to create a very effective teaching/self-help
tool.
A similar program would be the Small Engine Repair cartridge.
Or...
Many sorts of "this is how it works" programs: the workings of eco-systems,
food cycles in the ocean, characteristics of the earths atmosphere, space
travel, plant growth,...education.
Or...
Indoor practice for sports.  Your local softball team can get together
for a game in the middle of winter.  Not as good as the real thing but
it could help improve team cooperation and eye-hand coordination.  You
could compare your golf or tennis swing to the pro's also.
Or...
What else do the Schmoes do that might benefit from 3D, interactive
visualization?  What 3D databases exist already that they might want
to access?
I think all of these could be accomplished today using a crude data-suit
based on PowerGlove-like technology, a couple of Amiga's, a modem and
some low-res lcd color goggles based on lcd TV's.  I could see a system
being offered for under $5,000 a year from now and reaching the under
$1,000 price a few years later IF the Schmoes showed enough initial
interest to excite the big money men.  And I do think the Schmoes would
be interested if they had a chance to try a well written version of
one of the above applications.  Looking at the history of computers
however, they probably would not be willing to risk $1,000 until the
systems were fairly mature and friendly with a variety of applications.
Perhaps if it was offered as a $200-$300 option for an existing computer
system it would have a better chance.  I doubt it would have the instant
success of something like Camcorders though.

ron@vicorp.com

almquist@cis.udel.edu (Squish) (12/11/90)

erichs) writes:
>I am about to ask a question that should make most VR researchers stop and
>think...
>
>Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
>(ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
>becomes available.
Have you looked into or read _The Mind Children_.  It describes a NEW approach
to learning using a VR world.  Imagine sitting under the apple tree with
Newton talking about gravity, experiencing history visually, etc. etc. etc.

>(I'm not looking for VR telephones or anything like that. I'm looking at this
>year not 5 yrs down the road.)
Question: Playing devil advocate for you, if we stop research in this area
how are we ever going to arrive at our ultimate system?

- Mike Almquist (almquist@cis.udel.edu)

"Engineers bring ideas to reality,
 Virtual Reality Idealists bring reality to ideas!", squish, Dec. 1990

JS5DWCPW@miamiu.bitnet (12/11/90)

I am writing a novel (working title: _Thorn's Vision_) that deals with
another possibility of VR. Early LSD studies pointed toward possibilities
of a new type of psycho-therapy, guiding the patient through a series of
archetypal experiences, such as the death/rebirth imagery. Roger Zelazny
then wrote a story called the Dreammaster or something like that in which
a psychiatrist, by means of a neural interface, enters and controls the
patients "dreams" during a chemical-induced hypnotic trance.

I think that VR may or may not, as it gets more "real" seeming, have such
applications. We are already getting reports of "VR sickness" from the
disorientation of simulators, so we may assume that the mind is open
to such manipulations.
This is actually only a sideline to the main flow of the novel; a near-future
political thriller.
James J Saul (Jim)                           "Pay no attention to the
  jjsaul@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu               man behind the curtain."
or (preferably) js5dwcpw at MIAMIU         "Who Watches the Watchmen??"

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (12/12/90)

I am in no way advocating the slowdown of VR research... I would (and am)
developing it for it's own sake.

My question has to do with motivating the general consumers...
with all the hype about VR in the media, promising a new age... there has been
alot of talk about 5 - 20 years down the road.  What about now?  The technology
is in our hands to produce a VR setup that is lowcost, lowend but very usable.
Compare it to the advent of the mac 512K... it is nothing compared to a
mac IIfx but it was a very slick piece, especially for it's time.  But as with
the original mac, no one really knows what to do with a lowend VR system.
I am looking for the Desktop Publishing of VR.  DTP was almost unheard of until
someone thought of using a mac for it... now it is a mainstay of the industry.

We need some similar idea for lowend VR.
Virtual vactaions to real spots wouldn't be satifying on the first systems to
come out.  Think of it this way.  Would you want to edit a 24bit color scan
on a Mac Classic?  Not if you don't want it done half assed.

The education idea is a good one, teach geometry, trig, volume integrations
using VR.  You don't need alot of fine visual detail for those sorts of things.
More ideas like that are what would seem to be appropriate.

[dfRERICHS
 University of Illinois, Urbana         Designing VR systems that work...
 Dept. of Computer Engineering
 IEEE/SigGraph                          Looking for cyberspace?
 frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu              Well stop your snivelin', son,
 frerichs@well.sf.ca.us                 you've been in here all along!     ]
--
[dfRERICHS
 University of Illinois, Urbana         Designing VR systems that work...
 Dept. of Computer Engineering
 IEEE/SigGraph                          Looking for cyberspace?

rick@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Rick Ottolini) (12/13/90)

Interactive informations seem to be a dud in the United States.
Several years ago there were these information service kiosks all
over the San Francisco area, but they have mostly disappeared.
The user interface left much to be desired-- slow, and deep menu
hierachies.  I'm skeptical about the commericial potential of VR
in information services.

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (12/13/90)

In article <12789@milton.u.washington.edu> frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Fr
erichs) writes:

>My question has to do with motivating the general consumers...
>I am looking for the Desktop Publishing of VR.  DTP was almost unheard of until
>someone thought of using a mac for it... now it is a mainstay of the industry.
>We need some similar idea for lowend VR.
>Virtual vactaions to real spots wouldn't be satifying on the first systems to
>come out.  Think of it this way.  Would you want to edit a 24bit color scan
>on a Mac Classic?  Not if you don't want it done half assed.
>The education idea is a good one, teach geometry, trig, volume integrations
>using VR.  You don't need alot of fine visual detail for those sorts of things.
>More ideas like that are what would seem to be appropriate.

I think that perhaps one of most profitable and exciting uses of VR could
be in the creation of interactive movies.  A producer, director, artists
and set designers, "script" writers and others get together and create a
world and situation in which people can interact via a VR interface.
A person dialing into the [vroovie? voovie?] would be charged a flat or
hourly rate according to the role they choose to play (the most common
role being observer perhaps, at least initially to discover whether one
wanted to join in or to study a part.)  The money could be collected
using a 900 telephone number type method or through credit cards like
on a bulletin board.  Proven actors, artists, designers, etc. might be
paid instead of charged to encourage their participation (a new type of
income producing work!)
  The design would be quite different from that of a movie and would
require some clever thinking since it would have to create an
interesting experience for potentially hundreds or thousands of
people who have no acting ability.  Initial attempts might resemble
vacation resorts in exotic places (go to mars where you can play 4D
gravity ball or wander the jade and obsidian sculpture parks or meet
people in a syntha-bar or watch the laser battle against the natives
or go to the stadium to see the latest interactive work by that
great artist He's Zwell or...)  As the creative people begin to explore
the possibilities though, much more elaborate shows could be produced
that have a more tightly integrated plot or theme and which bring
unique experiences to the participants.  (I think horror "films" are
going to get REALLY scary! And SciFi is going to go out of this world!)
Knowing people I'm sure many would prefer to just watch (try asking
someone to say something into a microphone) so there would have to be
many aspects of it that would appeal to the person who wants to see
but not participate.

I think something like this could be done today.  A master disk generated
that has the predesigned sets and interaction rules that is purchased
(or downloaded?) combined with a bulletin board approach to interactive
access and some simple hardware accessories for some popular computers.
All made idiot-proof (like, much more so than the mess that was made of
modem communication, right?)
We computer geeks are working on doing something like this right now
(all top secret/company proprietary of course) and I'll bet the first
ones start to emerge within a year after the secret high resolution
mode of the PowerGlove is reverse engineered. Maybe sooner.
I think it's time for some fun.  The 90's have been boring so far.
ron@vicorp.com

curtis@key.COM (Curtis Anderson) (12/13/90)

I'd like to expand on a response posted earlier, and make a conjecture of
my own.  First the conjecture.

IMHO, most hypertext systems should be directly applicable to VR.  The
interactive nature of a hypertext system could just as well be supported in
a 3D environment as on a 2D screen.  The "exploded automobile" example where
the system allows taking a car apart, putting it back together, and trying to
tune it up (ie: engine simulations), could be done better in 3D than in 2D.
There may be some inherently text-based hypertext systems that wouldn't
benefit from 3D, but I don't think that they would be hurt either (IMHO).

The other topic is a more fleshed out example of an (almost) near-term use
for a consumer VR system.  It fits into the category of educational worlds,
but I would like to add more detail as an exercise in exploring how VR worlds
could improve on "reality".  This topic may have been explored by other people,
but I'll stick my neck out anyway...  :-)

One can imagine the "In-Line Smithsonian" (On-Line?), a VR museum world.

The "ILS" would be based on a *VERY* large read-only database that contained
information on (potentially) all of the objects in all of the museums in the
world (even those not currently on display).  The ILS would be one BIG museum
that contained everything.  Note that this differs from traveling to the
Louvre Museum by way of a VR interface, then to the Moscow Museum, then to
San Jose (do we have museums? :-).

The interface software would present the view of the museum as a set of
exhibit rooms just like we are used to, but the rooms and their contents
would be generated at run time, not canned.  The generation of rooms and
contents of rooms at run time allows an innovation in museum design: the
ability to change the contents of the museum according to user interest.

The user would initially start outside the building.  They would be able to
interact with a control panel on the outside of the building that controlled
the contents of the building.  For lack of a better (ie: visual) interface,
I'll suggest an SQL relational database query.  The user would write a query
that included all of the topics that (s)he was interested in and their
relationship to each other.  The ILS would then fill the museum building
with rooms and exhibits that satisfy the relationships specified in the
query, and the cybernaut could go exploring.

This type of interface would reduce the amount of non-relevant information
that the researcher (explorer) would have to wade through.  It would also
allow the ILS to build multi-disciplinary exhibits.  An example would be
an exhibit on the human ear from the point of view of human physiology,
comparative biology, art, and home stereo systems.  Hypertext linkages would
allow an explorer to follow trains of thought to related pieces of information.
Those pieces might be on this floor (in the requested set of info), or they
might be in the basement (ie: lead you out of the information you requested
into other wings of the museum).

The ILS could record the SQL query and your path through the museum's rooms
for your later reference.  This facility could also be used to provide
"canned" tours.  The tours could be lead either by generic tour guides or by
"experts" in a given field.  The different "experts" in each field might lead
the tour to different exhibits, reflecting each ones view of the subject
matter and the relative importance of each exhibit.

The ILS would be able to support interaction with the museum exhibits.  This
applies to more than just picking up objects, it means operating them as well.
Again, we get back to the "exploded automobile" example of a hypertext system.
That would be a good exhibit in a virtual museum.

Note that the ILS that I've tried to explore above (pun intended) is really
a hypertext system set in a VR world.

I think that the SQL interface controlling the contents of the building is
an example of one of the ways that VR can "improve" on reality.

Comments and discussion are welcome...

--
Curtis Anderson         curtis@key.amdahl.com           (415)623-2177
--

pathak@mbunix.mitre.org (Pathak) (12/13/90)

In article <12868@milton.u.washington.edu> rick@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Rick Ottoli
ni) writes:

>Interactive informations seem to be a dud in the United States.
>Several years ago there were these information service kiosks all
>over the San Francisco area, but they have mostly disappeared.
>The user interface left much to be desired-- slow, and deep menu
>hierachies.  I'm skeptical about the commericial potential of VR
>in information services.

As you said, the user interface left much to be desired.  One of the problem
with much of the computer industry is that many "techies" don't consider
the need of the "non-techies" when they design there products.  The
prevailing attitude is:  They will use the product because it is a great
product.  In the real world, many people feel uncomfortable with high tech
equipment or even worse are actually afraid of it.

For commercial VR to work, it has to have a very natural interface (sorry
no datagloves and 3D goggles), relatively cheap ($2000 tops),
and fill a clear cut need.

Someone will have to design a Lotus 123 of VRs, a product that people just
have to have.  In the early days of the PC, business managers would say
that they want a Lotus 123 for there office.  They didn't care about the
equipment it ran on, they wanted the software because it filled a very vital
need.

An interesting model for commericial VR can be found in Ray Bradberry's
"Varanda??".  The story is a bit gruesome, but the VR set is basically a room
that changes at you set different scenes.  The kids (it was basically a
playpen) could interact with the objects just as they would interact with
real world objects.  That is what VR should be.

Heeren Pathak
pathak@mitre.org
Disclaimer:  The views expressed are my own and in no way reflect those
of my employer.

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (12/13/90)

arc!steve@apple.com (Steve Savitzky) writes:
>In article <12617@milton.u.washington.edu> frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J F
>erichs) writes:
>  Other than interactive gaming, does anyone see any motivation for a consumer
>  (ie layman who doesn't know much) to buy a consumer priced VR setup when one
>  becomes available.
>There are forms of entertainment that are not specifically "gaming",
>i.e. VR "movies", tourism (the exploration of a virtual universe,
>whether a simulation of some real place or a fantasy), etc.  Leaving
>all these variations aside, there are many "useful" things that could
>be done at home:
>
>[Specific examples left out here to save net bandwidth]

While all of these things sound nice, there is a risk: people are
going to grow fat and plump sitting at home experiencing their virtual
realities.  Americans already spend incredible numbers of hours in
front of the TV; I wonder what would happen if virtual entertainment
was available.  We are rapidly developing a society of stay-at-home
couch potatos, and virtual entertainment might easily make this worse.

While virtual shopping and virtual travel sounds nice, I would prefer
to get out of the house myself.  Conversing with someone in a virtual
cafe might be nice in concept, but I prefer the living, breathing
flesh of the real person in front of me.  Then again, I likely spend
more hours per week commuting to and from cafes and movie theatres
than watching TV.

Another thing to keep in mind: TV, movies, and radio (all major forms
of mass-market entertainment) are all *static* forms.  In other words,
the viewer does not need to do much but sit there.  I wonder whether
virtual entertainment forms that require actual activity and
participation from the "user" will indeed catch on with the general
public, or whether the public will simply embrace a virtual
entertainment that is static in nature.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     We carry in our hearts the true country,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     And that cannot be stolen.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (12/14/90)

Note from the Moderator:

Let's not get too speculative here.  When we start getting on the
outer bounds of the field, for which there is no evidence to
support empirical claims nor too solid philosophical premises to
debate, we start slipping into alt.cyberpunk-land.  I appreciate
the strong feelings held about current technologies that spill
over into technology assessments of future technology, but please
limit prognosticating to that which can reasonbly be maintained
given present knowledge and work in progress or planned.  Thanks.

Bob Jacobson
Moderator

rick@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Rick Ottolini) (12/15/90)

[Also the cyberspace conference thread:]

Art history might be as useful an anology for analyzing the future of VR
as is technology or communications.
The first phase of a new artistic media is usually to imitate an existing
motif.  Often in retrospect these imitations seem silly.
AN example of this ancient bronzeware imitating stoneware and early TV
imitating theatre.
Later on artists discover creative and unique ways of expression in the
new media
VR is a new media.  As its technology improves we will be limited by our
imaginations.

jsl@barn.COM (John Labovitz) (12/15/90)

ni) writes:
>The user interface left much to be desired-- slow, and deep menu
>hierachies.  I'm skeptical about the commericial potential of VR
>in information services.

It sounds like the problem was with the design of the interface, not
the fact that it was an interactive information service.  If we're
judging systems on their interface, I think you'd find USENET's
standard interfaces (rn, vnews, nn, etc.) to be rated poorly among
people who don't have a lot of computer knowledge.  But do you consider
USENET to be a failure?
--
John Labovitz           Domain: jsl@barn.com            Phone: 707/823-2919
Barn Communications     UUCP:   ..!pacbell!barn!jsl

szabo@RELAY.CS.NET (Nick Szabo) (12/18/90)

In article <12952@milton.u.washington.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chr
i) writes:

>While all of these things sound nice, there is a risk: people are
>going to grow fat and plump sitting at home experiencing their virtual
>realities.

Au contrair.  What is needed is a virtual excercizer.  Pick your
favorite sport -- hiking in your favorite mountains, swimming, etc.
Or a team sport, like virtual volleyball.   Program it into the
all-around force-feedback suit, and, viola!  Say goodbye to stationary
bikes and Nautilus contraptions.  OK there are a few implementation details
to be worked out.., :-)

--
Nick Szabo                      szabo@sequent.com
"For historical reasons, this feature is unintelligible"

jgsmith@bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (12/19/90)

I always see people on exercise machines (like bicycle or stair type machines)
listening to music.  I think the next step is to have your own private scenery
go by.  Climb your favorite mountain, or take a nice ride in the Great Barrier
Reef, or maybe take a quick jog out to Saturn and back.

*
(but what's the appropriate music for rowing through downtown New York?)