[sci.virtual-worlds] ECCENTRIC SPACES, by Robert Harbison -- A Must-Read

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (12/17/90)

A relatively new book highly recommended to virtual world builders
and explorers:

 ECCENTRIC SPACES, by Robert Harbison.  Boston:  David R. Godine, 1988. $10.95

 Subtitled, "A voyage through real and imagined worlds."

        "This is a record of a struggle to assimilate more and more to
 the realm of delight, which takes up less and less obvious sources of
 gratification till in the end we can take the same joy in almost any
 made thing.  It is about bringing things indoors, about domesticating
 reality, and the model for all these objects is a building -- the
 palpable idea, the traversible speech, the simplest experience of being
 in more than one place at a time.  The books movement is roughly from
 things to ideas, from the real to the fictional, but it tries to make
 these states harder to distinguish.  Its boldest aim is to suggest a
 history of certain kinds of fiction, certain transformations worked by
 the imagination, and to extend our sense of the part the fictionalizing
 power plays in our lives.

        "...Like many books, it is working itself free of its material.
 The goal of learning and of this book as an act is that the critic feel
 himself a participant, that the describer become the doer.  The end is
 not an actual building but the writing by which the writer becomes as
 every learner will the exemplar of culture himself.  A book is a
 thought too big and various to be seen all at once, sturdy but unencom-
 passable ideation, and the intimate excuse for a new one after all the
 other books is this of giving the mind an existence outside itself."

                                       -- From the Foreword

 And here is a brief listing of the Contents:

 1.  Green Dreams:  Gardens

 2.  Dreaming Rooms:  Sanctums

 3.  Nightmares of Iron and Glass:  Machines

 4.  Cities Dark Places:  City Planning and Built Worlds

 5.  Books of Things:  Architectural Fictions

 6.  Books of Things:  Topographical Fictions

 7.  The Mind's Miniatures:  Maps

 8.  Contracted World:  Museums and Catalogues

 I hope it's obvious why this book is so crucial and so timely.

webber@csd.uwo.ca (Robert E. Webber) (12/18/90)

.
. ECCENTRIC SPACES, by Robert Harbison.  Boston:  David R. Godine, 1988. $10.95
.
. Subtitled, "A voyage through real and imagined worlds."
. I hope it's obvious why this book is so crucial and so timely.

Interesting.  My copy was copyrighted in 1977.  It also had different
publishers: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc in hardcover and a $2.95 paperback
from Avon Books.  Same table of contents, but no subtitle.  Does the
1988 Godine version claim to be an update or just a reissue?

--- BOB (webber@csd.uwo.ca)

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  Bob Webber is right.  My copy is a classed-up reprint.
 Harbison was just ahead of his time -- or his material is timeless.  You
 decide! -- Bob Jacobson]

peter@nexus.yorku.ca (Peter Roosen-Runge) (12/20/90)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>A relatively new book highly recommended to virtual world builders
>and explorers:
>
> ECCENTRIC SPACES, by Robert Harbison.  Boston:  David R. Godine, 1988. $10.95

I'd like to second Jacobson's recommendation of ECCENTRIC SPACES. It's
isn't however new -- I think it was published by Knopf in 1977. My copy
is from 1980 and cost $2.50 :-).  In addition to the general relevance
for 'virtual world builders', the last chapter "Contracted World: Museums and
Catalogs" has very interesting things to say to people interested in the
implications and presuppositions of hypertext.

                          Peter Roosen-Runge
                          Dept. of Computer Science
                          York University, Toronto