[sci.virtual-worlds] W Industries Introduces First Working VR Entertainment Unit.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/12/91)

Just received a brochure and spec book from W Industries, the VR
entertainment firm established in Leicester (pronounced "Lester"),
England.  Very impressive.  Beautifully packaged.  The "Visette"
uses LCDs in a cute, science-fictiony helmet.  The "Animette"
is a programming language that runs on a dedicated machine.  In
these materials, there isn't much that's revealed except the
action (and one rather misleading graphic that makes it appear as
if a laser image is being projected into the eye), but it's
all well designed, graphically.

W Industries is the brainchild of Dr. John Waldren, a student of
Ivan Sutherland, who did his Ph.D. 10 years ago on virtual imagery
and who established the company three years ago.  He deliberately
kept a low profile until his machine was ready.  Now he's selling
stand-alone amusement-park units, so he reports, with great
facility.

Other sources say the firm is backed by Japanese money, a claim
not surprising given that Fujitsu just bought out ICL, the largest
British computer company.  No necessary associations, could be
just coincidence.

John Waldren says that the firm will be coming out this week with both
glove and spaceball I/O units, the former with bladders to produce
a tactile sensation of mass.

I'll post more information as I read the brochure more thoroughly;
I'll also post an address, etc.

I should add that the equipment is genuine and the glossy
promotional pieces do have specs of a sort, just not any
exposure of what's inside.

Bob Jacobson

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/13/91)

More on W Industries...

W Industries is offering a multi-component Virtual Reality system,
as they characterize it, capable of producing entertainment experiences
at relatively low cost.  A W Industries unit, according to the company's
brochure, costs approximately 20,000 pounds, or about $35,000 at current
exchange rates.  The three system components are the VISETTE, a head
worn visor system; the ANIMETTE simulation software; and EXPALITY, a
multimedia computer system.  W Industries, by the way, has trademarked
the term VIRTUALITY and uses it extensively in its promotional material.
I doubt this will hold up in the U.S., where I, among others, have been
discussing "virtuality" in scientific papers and elsewhere for at least
the last year.

The Virtuality system includes both sight and sound stimuli, with
65K colors, dynamic self-shadowing, and 32 bit resolution from 50mm
to 200,000km (I presume this means the size of the objects as they
appear in the Visette; sound offers frequencies from 10Hz to 14KHz,
25 second duration.  The network operates at 10Mbytes in 1510 bite
packets, accommodating up to 16 users.  The computer system is
apparently proprietary (though built of standard components), displaying
30K polygons independently, transformed, clipped, and shaded (assuming
50% back faced removed; the update rate is 50MHz.  There are four
visual channels.  The system is currently operable at 230V.

The Visette weighs 2.9Kg (what's that, about eight pounds?).  It uses
stereo think film transistors, with 102K pixels; field of view is 90-120
degrees.  Optics include mirror aluminized acrylic lenses, 40mm diameter,
12.5D Plano convex, with Panavision 220 diffusion media filters.  Earphones
are quadrophonic, two sets of 44mm and 30mm dynamic speakers.

There are two models of Virtuality.  The first is a sitdown version that
looks like the body of a small jet fighter in videogame configuration.
I/O devices are two joysticks and various mode selection buttons.

The second version of is a standup model.  "Experiences" are selected by
buttons on a console.

The systems are being debuted at the Imagina Television Festival in
Monaco, this month, as well as in England.  The experiences that are
being demonstrated are apparently loaded into a CD-ROM and then accessed
by the control system.

Waldren founded W Industries after an early, active design career, in 1987.
It became part of a "multinational UK group with operations in the US
and Japan" in 1989.

Looking over the materials, what we have here is an intriguing display
system running prepared worlds for limited interaction with the user.

For more information, here is W Industries addresses and phones:

Dr. John Waldren
Managing Director
26-28 Chancery Street
Leicester LE1 5WD
England

(44) (533) 542 127
(44) (533) 548 222 (fax)

I would welcome performance reports from any of our British, French,
or Monocan (!) participants who have enjoyed a W Industries experience,
as it is difficult to fully appreciate this technology from merely
reading the brochures.  Waldren seems to have designed a useful low-
to medium-range virtual worlds system that could become a valuable part
of a more comprehensive ensemble.  Is this impression well-founded?

Also, if anyone has information on the "multinational UK group" behind
W Industries (this information is not disclosed in the brochure), that
might be useful in determining the strategic value of the W Industries
virtual worlds system.

Bob Jacobson
Moderator

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/13/91)

The following papers by John Waldern may be available from W Industries.
Please note that I incorrectly attributed John Waldern's name in the
last two postings.  It is correctly "Waldern," not "Waldren".

HOLMES, R. & WALDERN, J.D. (1990) Health and Safety Issues Concerning the
Virtuality System, CG90 Conference Proceedings, Blenheim Online, Ash Hill
Drive, Pinner, Middlesex HA5 2AE, UK.

ROWLEY, T. & WALDERN, J.D. (1990) Virtuality Entertainment Systems,
Conference Proceedings, Blenheim Online, Ash Hill Drive, Pinner,
Middlesex HA5 2AE, UK.

WALDERN, J.D. & EDMONDS, E.A. (1986) A three-dimensional computer graphics
workstation.  In SCRIVENER, S.A.R., ed., Pergamon Infotech for State of
the Art for CAD/CAM '85, 24-31.

WALDERN, J.D. (1981) A Survey of 3-D Digitizers.  Internal Report, HCIRU,
Leicester Polytechnic.

Bob Jacobson
Moderator

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/13/91)

I forgot.  In a recent telephone conversation, John Waldern told me that
W Industries is about to introduce a feedback glove.  In the artist's
conception, it looks like a Mattel glove.  But it has bladders to
simulate a tactile sensation.

Also, if I'm not incorrect, the head-tracking sensors are magnetic
resonant devices, like the Polhemus.  I believe that W Industries is
using Ascension magnetic trackers, however.

Bob Jacobson
Moderator

cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) (01/15/91)

In article <14298@milton.u.washington.edu> Bob Jacobson writes:
>A W Industries unit, according to the company's brochure, costs
>approximately 20,000 pounds, or about $35,000 at current exchange rates.

>The Virtuality system includes sight stimuli, with 65K colors,

16 bit frame buffer.

>dynamic self-shadowing, and 32 bit resolution from 50mm to 200,000km

Great. Forward into the past. This is called throwing away floating point
and doing all your modeling in unsigned fixed-point math, just like Sutherland
did in 1967. This strictly limits the scale of "worlds" that you may want to
explore.  For example, let's say you bought a W box and suddenly got interested
in molecular dynamics. What do you do?? Scale everything up by 1,000,000,000,000
(or so) just to get your molecules big enough to not all render in the same
spot. Even for human-sized things this resolution is a little coarse. I
would have expected between 1mm and 5mm resolution.

>sound offers frequencies from 10Hz to 14KHz, 25 second duration.

Should be careful what's being specified here. Are these samples? What's
the amplitude resolution? Sampling frequency? Or is it a MIDI device?

>The network operates at 10Mbytes in 1510 byte
>packets, accommodating up to 16 users.

Sounds like Ethernet's nominal numbers. You never get anywhere near that in
real life.

>The computer system is
>apparently proprietary (though built of standard components), displaying
>30K polygons independently, transformed, clipped, and shaded (assuming
>50% back faced removed; the update rate is 50MHz.  There are four
>visual channels.  The system is currently operable at 230V.

More holes in the spec. How big are the polygons? Are they screen-aligned?
Are they rectangular? How many actually end up on the screen? (This is a
"marketing polygons" number, perhaps) Also, how big is the raster? What
kind of shading? Flat? Gouraud? Phong?

So anyway. 15,000*50 = 1.5million polygons per second. Methinks another typo
is involved, and that's 15K polys/second, which is respectable, but by no
means stunning. I think that "50MHz" is actually 50Hz, which is British TV
vertical refresh rate. Refresh rate is not update rate.

By comparison, the i860 can nominally do 50,000 Gouraud shaded 100-pixel
marketing polygons per second, using 8-bit pixels, and you get floating point.

Actually, the W box is reminiscent of a system that Atari's Advanced
Graphics Division showed at SIGGRAPH 89. They didn't market it for whatever
reason, but it, too, was supposed to be 12K-15K polys/second, and
$10,000-$30,000 (I don't quite remember prices). It sounds like W has done
more or less the same set of hacks with more recent technology.

>The Visette weighs 2.9Kg (what's that, about eight pounds?).

6.5 Lbs

>It uses stereo think film transistors, with 102K pixels;

102400 pixels = 320*320, which is roughly 1/2 * 1/2 British TV resolution.
By the way, NTSC is 640*480. In the VPL EyePhone, you get 1/2 * 1/2 NTSC, or
320*240. The real questions are... can the W goggles accept NTSC, and is it
tough enough to go on tour?

>There are two models of Virtuality.  The first is a sitdown version that
>looks like the body of a small jet fighter in videogame configuration.
>I/O devices are two joysticks and various mode selection buttons.
>
>The second version of is a standup model.  "Experiences" are selected by
>buttons on a console.
>The experiences that are being demonstrated are apparently loaded into a
>CD-ROM and then accessed by the control system.

VR-in-a-can. Just add water & stir. Still, looks like fun. More of a video
game than a development type system, but what the hell!

>Waldren seems to have designed a useful low-to medium-range
>virtual worlds system that could become a valuable part
>of a more comprehensive ensemble.  Is this impression well-founded?

Perhaps. The I/O is what's interesting. Also, the dual-signal stereo graphics
would be useful, compared to the network-style lashing up you have to do
with workstations. The rest of the graphics system is hard to judge, but it
looks like a very special purpose hack.

--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!