[sci.virtual-worlds] synthetic reality

streeter@athena.cs.uga.edu (Tom Streeter) (02/03/91)

In article <15274@milton.u.washington.edu> rick@hanauma.Stanford.EDU
(Richard Ottolini) writes:

>I suggest that the adjectives "virtual" and "artificial" have meanings
>saying the result we are trying to produce isn't as good as the
>original.   I contend a long-term goal of VR is realism--a perceptual
>experience indistinguishable from the external world.  Therefore the
>term "synthetic-reality" may be a more accurate naming of this goal.

Do we really want "synthetic-reality"?  It seems to me that a large
part of the effort in this exercise is to remove from the mediated experience
the very factors which make a situation "real."  For example, we design
a virtual tightrope.  It's only indistinguishable from the external world
if it kills me when I "fall."  It could probably be done, but why would
anyone want to?  When evaluating a VR application, it could be as important
to define what was left out as much as what was put in.

I think "virtual" is a good adjective.

Tom Streeter
streeter@athena.cs.uga.edu

maddox@blake.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) (02/05/91)

        Two things:

        First, the supposed trademarking of Cyberspace by Autodesk:  I don't
believe they went through with it.  Gibson had his lawyer send them inquiries
about it, and the last I heard, the company had decided it wasn't worth the
grief they were taking.  Does anyone have newer or contrary information?

        Second, what to call It.  I am inclined to agree with Ted Nelson's
"virtuality," as it encompasses both the virtual real and the virtual unreal.
I am also inclined not to care very much.
--
                                Tom Maddox

"I couldn't get past page 10 of Ulysses . . . the book just didn't make sense."
                        "Friendless" Farrell