[sci.virtual-worlds] FVT will be on display

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (02/08/91)

The original prototype of the Future Viston Technologies' Virtual Reality
engine will be on display at the Engineering Open House here at the University
of Illinois, Champaign/Urbana on March 1st.
The comsumer unit, due for release in April, will not be on display due to
specific legalities that have not been finalized.  The unit that will be on
display is the world first portable VR engine (host free, self contained)...
quite impressive.
Anyone who requires directions, can either email me or call the university
information# at 217.333.1000

We hope to see you there.

[dfRERICHS
 University of Illinois, Urbana         Designing VR systems that work...
 Dept. of Computer Engineering          Networked VR.
 IEEE/SigGraph                            _    _    _
 frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu              _/_\__/_\__/_\_
 frerichs@well.sf.ca.us                  \_/  \_/  \_/                     ]

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (02/17/91)

A "self-contained" VR system would seem to defy the meaning of virtual
reality, as the experience of a virtual world contained within a computer
memory.  Would it have a belt-clip on CD-ROM to produce worlds?  And how
would the self-contained unit measure its wearer's position in space?
These are important design questions that, until they are answered, will
continue to puzzle readers of these postings about the Illinois
development.

BTW, I heard at least week's Gigabit Testbed Workshop meeting, in D.C.,
that students at MIT are successfully building a small scale VR system
based on workstation size technology.  As William Bricken predicted,
this is "the summer of garage VR triumphant."

Bob Jacobson
HIT Lab

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (02/18/91)

In article <16594@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu
(Robert Jacobson) writes:

>A "self-contained" VR system would seem to defy the meaning of virtual
>reality, as the experience of a virtual world contained within a computer
>memory.  Would it have a belt-clip on CD-ROM to produce worlds?  And how
>would the self-contained unit measure its wearer's position in space?
>These are important design questions that, until they are answered, will
>continue to puzzle readers of these postings about the Illinois
>development.
[deleted]
>Bob Jacobson
>HIT Lab

Clarifications on the FVT system:

By self-contained, they mean that the hardware is totally independant of
ANY desktop workstation or external hardware. (ie it's total custom hardware)
As a stand-alone unit, it generates a virtual world that is contained within
its memory.

But...
No computer is an island.  Although it is a self-contained entity it does have
ports for network connection (modem or ethernet).  This makes it possible
for multiple units to create an interactive environment between them.
(BTW, I have found that it takes very little data exhange between two VR
engines to give the illusion that both users are in the same environment.)

Also...
The total cost of FVT's system will be under $1000.

I hope that this answers some questions about the system.  I wish I could be
more specific about the hardware, but those will have to wait till the
public display.

Anyone interested in seeing the unit in action should come to the
Engineering Open House here at the University of Illinois, Urbana on
March 1st.

keithley@apple.com (Craig Keithley) (02/19/91)

In article <16638@milton.u.washington.edu> frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
(David J Frerichs) writes:

> By self-contained, they mean that the hardware is totally independant of
> ANY desktop workstation or external hardware (ie it's total custom
> hardware). As a stand-alone unit, it generates a virtual world that is
> contained within its memory.

> <stuff deleted>

> I hope that this answers some questions about the system.  I wish I
> could be more specific about the hardware, but those will have to wait
> till the public display.

While I believe in tantalizing your prospective customers, you've
not answered the questions I need/want answered.

And to tell you the truth, what you've described sounds like a glorified
video game (no outside computer, under $1000.00).  How much ($) is the
authoring system?  How many virtual objects can it support simultaneously?
What's the storage medium?

While I won't pretend I was going to come to Illinois,  you've not given
me enough information to make me even want to.

Craig Keithley, Apple Computer
keithley@apple.com
[standard disclaimers apply!]

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (02/19/91)

In article <16654@milton.u.washington.edu> keithley@apple.com (Craig Keithley)
writes:

>While I believe in tantalizing your prospective customers, you've
>not answered the questions I need/want answered.

First: let it be known that I am not a member of FVT, only a user of their
system.  Also, information is withheld not for "tantalization" but for
legal protection.

>And to tell you the truth, what you've described sounds like a glorified
>video game (no outside computer, under $1000.00).

I would not call FVT's system a glorified video game any more than I would
any personal computer (a Mac Classic requires no outside computer and is
under $1000).  The unit is not trying to compete with the "high-end" VR
systems of today ($20k & up) but it is trying to bring an affordable VR
system to the consumer.

>How much ($) is the authoring system?  How many virtual objects can it
>support simultaneously? What's the storage medium?

C libraries for world creation and control will be available for development.
These are then compiled and downloaded to the unit.  (note: this is only for
development, once a world is created it is stored and manipulated on the
unit independant of any host, i.e. portable)  As for performance, I can't
give out specifics, but I can say I regularly travel through a detailed
virtual-world from which I definitely get a sense of "being-there."

>While I won't pretend I was going to come to Illinois,  you've not given
>me enough information to make me even want to.

>Craig Keithley, Apple Computer
>keithley@apple.com
>[standard disclaimers apply!]

I am not withholding information to "lure" anyone to see it,  I am just here
reporting what is going on at FVT.