[net.space] Asynchronous orbital skyhooks

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (01/02/86)

> At the intersection point the masses are moving
> with a relative velocity of ~6000 mph (~2.7 kps).  A deceleration
> of 5g for 1 minute will bring them to relative rest - which doesn't
> seem too hairy.

I was assuming that the join must happen in a few dozens of meters
distance, or at most a few hundred meters.  To happen over many tens of
kilometers as proposed above is much more reasonable.  But about the
only reasonable thing I can think of that would provide that kind of
interaction between two masses over that kind of distance is a skyhook
variant of some sort.  Can a currently-designable skyhook provide ~2.7
KPS of delta-v?  I suspect so.

I'm not sure how to position and maintain the skyhook (or any other
"joiner" device) in the two masses scenario, but this is much more
reasonable than what I read into the proposal at first. (I was led to
imagine an inelastic colision of two relativly small, dense, balls of
silly-putty.  Splat!  :-)

But what is wrong with the more "traditional" scenario of an
asynchronous skyhook in medium-high orbit?  Once constructed, it could
provide the couple-of-KPS-delta-v needed to modify a long eliptical
orbit (or suborbital arc) into a more nearly circular orbit, and could
be kept on station by performing the reverse delta-v on ballast masses.

(Note that these ballast masses could be provided from a ground
catapult, or from high orbit.  Providing the ballast from the ground is
quite similar to the two-masses scenario, but the "join" strictly
speaking never happens, and the interaction between the cargo mass and
the ballast mass (which in this scheme might also be a cargo mass!) can
be time-delayed.)

Question: Is a (ground-catapult / orbital injection skyhook) system more
economical than a (ground-catapult / traditional injection via a
reaction motor) system?  Even with the orbital skyhook, the injection
would probably have to be modified by a "trim" reaction burn to get
really good and precise orbits, and the station-keeping activities for
the skyhook are probably not trivial.

Answer: I don't know.  I expect there is some volume of traffic at which
        a skyhook would be more economical, but not at the low volumes
        we now have.

Question:  since synchronous orbital skyhooks are considered feasible
for Mars and the Moon, why isn't more attention given to asynchronous
orbital skyhooks for providing various delta-vs in orbital injection
scenarios near Earth?  Is the idea intrinsically non-feasible, or what?

Answer: I don't know, but I suspect they are most useful if the ground
        catapult problem is solved, and ground catapults aren't too
        terribly feasible yet.

Question: Why wouldn't an asynchronous skyhook allow a high-flying
air-breather (or detachable part thereof) to be injected into LEO?

Answer: I don't know that either, but it may have something to do with
        "drag".  Also, feeding such a skyhook ballast wouldn't be
        cheap.  Sigh.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (J. Greg Davidson) (01/05/86)

Wayne Throop's recent article on skyhooks asked a series of very good
questions in regard to applying skyhooks in conjunction with catapults
and guessed at some answers.  I will repeat his questions with another
set of (equally speculative) answers.

	From: throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop)
	Newsgroups: net.space
	Subject: Asynchronous orbital skyhooks (those two masses...)
	Date: 2 Jan 86 20:30:52 GMT

	Question: Is a (ground-catapult / orbital injection skyhook)
	system more economical than a (ground-catapult / traditional
	injection via a reaction motor) system?  Even with the orbital
	skyhook, the injection would probably have to be modified by a
	"trim" reaction burn to get really good and precise orbits, and
	the station-keeping activities for the skyhook are probably not
	trivial.

Answer: One would expect the operating costs of a skyhook to be much
lower than that of a reaction motor.  However, the development costs
and system costs (targeting, orbit correction, etc.) need to be
considered.  Note that if orbital correction is needed, there is no
hurry about it since the orbit will not decay quickly.  As an example,
a solar pwered ion rocket tug would be sufficient.  Also note that this
analysis will need to take into consideration the increased traffic
that lower costs should generate.

There are several technologies available for station keeping: (1)
balancing the mass transfers, (2) electrical interaction with the
Earth's magnetic field, (3) continuous boost from an efficient,
electrically powered, low thrust reaction motor.  Method (1) could
include catching mass sent up by the ground catapult into different
trajectories.  Methods (2) and (3) might be powered by an on-site solar
electric plant.  Possibilities for (3) include ion rockets and mass
driver thrusters.

	Question:  since synchronous orbital skyhooks are considered
	feasible for Mars and the Moon, why isn't more attention given
	to asynchronous orbital skyhooks for providing various delta-vs
	in orbital injection scenarios near Earth?  Is the idea
	intrinsically non-feasible, or what?

Answer: NASA seems politically unable to devote visible resources to
any unproven propulsion technologies, including tethers, light sails,
ion rockets, etc., regardless of their technical merit.  The major
contractors mostly follow NASA's lead.  However, other organizations,
e.g., CALSPACE, the World Space Foundation, SSI, and many independent
researchers are concentrating their research on these unproven, but
much more promising technologies.

	Question: Why wouldn't an asynchronous skyhook allow a
	high-flying air-breather (or detachable part thereof) to be
	injected into LEO?

Answer: A familiar scenario from previous articles on asynchronous skyhooks
is a rendezvous between a 747 carrying a cargo module piggyback, and
a tether.  In addition to the slight savings in work for the tether, this
keeps the tether comfortably away from the ground and reduces its penetration
into the bulk of the atmosphere.  I doubt that significant savings would
result from getting any higher in the atmosphere.  I suspect that its
more cheaper to have the tether do all of the velocity change, than to
develop a hypersonic aircraft for the rendezvous.

_Greg

J. Greg Davidson                          Virtual Infinity Systems
(619) 452-8059               6231 Branting St; San Diego, CA 92122

greg@vis.uucp                           ucbvax--| telesoft--|
davidson@sdcsvax.uucp                   decvax--+--sdcsvax--+--vis
davidson@ucsd.arpa                       ihnp4--|  noscvax--|
~

hogg@utcsri.UUCP (John Hogg) (01/06/86)

In article <70@dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
>Question:  since synchronous orbital skyhooks are considered feasible
>for Mars and the Moon, why isn't more attention given to asynchronous
>orbital skyhooks for providing various delta-vs in orbital injection
>scenarios near Earth?  Is the idea intrinsically non-feasible, or what?

I like it, you like it, and most readers of this group will too, but...
if things go wrong, skyhooks fall DOWN.  Remember the Skylab hysteria?  If
a skyhook breaks at almost any point in its rotation, one part goes up, and
the other hits the atmosphere FAST.  Kevlar cable will burn up in short
order.  Anything larger, such as payload, stands a good chance of reaching
the ground.  Again, WE all know how dangerous this is in the context of our
daily existence, but there could be real political problems in putting
something "large" up there with the tight safety margins required to make
this feasible.  Californian lawyers could have a field day out of it even
if nothing happened.

By the way, Kevlar makes fast sails, but
	1) How do you protect it from sunrot without an excessive weight
	   penalty?
	2) What about LEO free oxygen?
	3) How well does it behave at the temperature extremes to be
	   expected in space?
These aren't reasons why it "can't be done"; I'm just wondering whether
anybody has made the appropriate calculations.
--

John Hogg
Computer Systems Research Institute, UofT

Standard disclaimer: the above may or may not contain sarcasm, satire,
irony or facetiousness.  It does not contain smiley-faces.

> if things go wrong, skyhooks fall DOWN.  Remember the Skylab hysteria?  If
> a skyhook breaks at almost any point in its rotation, one part goes up, and
> the other hits the atmosphere FAST.  Kevlar cable will burn up in short
> order...

As somebody (Clarke?) pointed out, a falling skyhook cable hitting
atmosphere would be incredibly spectacular:  a *sheet* of flame across
the sky!  Might be worth doing just so you could sell tickets... :-)
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/07/86)

> Answer: NASA seems politically unable to devote visible resources to
> any unproven propulsion technologies, including tethers, light sails,
> ion rockets, etc., regardless of their technical merit.  The major
> contractors mostly follow NASA's lead.  However, other organizations,
> e.g., CALSPACE, the World Space Foundation, SSI, and many independent
> researchers are concentrating their research on these unproven, but
> much more promising technologies.

"promising" is a value judgment.  Some of these areas have had
"visible resources" depending at what budget level you looked.
An ion engine was the only way to seriously consider
a Halley mission, but then the President cut this, Ed Meese even came
to talk to Goldberger at Caltech about this and other directions for
JPL.  We need more of these technologies.  Question: how do you balance
these new technologies with the "research" which flies on the craft?
You have to argue with the geologist and the planetary scientist
who want results: tried and true.  It's not just NASA, we're just caught in the
middle.

> 	Question: Why wouldn't an asynchronous skyhook allow a
> 	high-flying air-breather (or detachable part thereof) to be
> 	injected into LEO?
>
> Answer: A familiar scenario from previous articles on asynchronous skyhooks
> is a rendezvous between a 747 carrying a cargo module piggyback, and
> a tether. . . .
> than to develop a hypersonic aircraft for the rendezvous.
>
> _Greg

Can't wait till the test Tethered Satellite goes up eh?  Yes we are
looking at Mach 27 vehicles, and yes we are looking at cables.
We can use the bucks, however.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA

General disclaimer: the above are the opinions of the author and not
the Center or Agency.  Any mention of commerical products does not
constitute an endorsement and is only mentioned as a point of reference.

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (01/07/86)

>	Question: Why wouldn't an asynchronous skyhook allow a
>	high-flying air-breather (or detachable part thereof) to be
>	injected into LEO?

> Answer: A familiar scenario from previous articles on asynchronous skyhooks
> is a rendezvous between a 747 carrying a cargo module piggyback, and
> a tether.

I think the tether/skyhook in the subsonic scenario would have to be
beyond current engineering practice.  My intent here was to ask if it
was feasible with an asynchronous currently-designable skyhook (say, of
Kevlar) to boost a cargo into LEO without using a ground catapult or any
non-reusable reaction thrusters.  This seems to imply a hypersonic
transport of some sort, since the best delta-v from the skyhook won't
boost from the near-standstill of a 747 to orbit.

Note also that the investment in the hypersonic transport development
would be swamped by the skyhook development costs (or so I suppose).  I
agree that it would be less costly to use the skyhook for the entire
delta-v, but this (as far as I know) just can't be done yet.  I was
proposing a hybrid system to "get our feet wet" with skyhook technology.

So let me rephrase.  Is it possible with 198x technology to get to LEO
using a totally reusable booster and an asynchronous skyhook, and would
this be cheaper than using disposable or partly disposable reaction
boosters.  In essence this question rests on three issues:

    Can enough delta-v be supplied by a skyhook to make a
    nearly-off-the-shelf (and completely reusable) transport workable?

    Can some plausible and nearly-off-the-shelf station-keeping
    mechanism for this skyhook deal with atmospheric drag, at reasonable
    traffic densities?

    Will the money needed to get the skyhook in orbit and the transport
    designed and built be plausibly fundable, either governmentally or
    privately?

These questions are left as an excersize for the interested reader :-).