[sci.virtual-worlds] Architectures for VR

Darren.Hague@brunel.ac.uk (Darren S Hague) (03/08/91)

Just a response to the call for people to say what research they're doing.

I've just started my PhD at Brunel University, where I am looking at
architectures for VR. I am currently working on a layered architecture:

| I/O Servers (Users' headsets & gloves) |
| Actor Processor                        |
+-------------------+--------------------+
| Object Forms      | Object Semantics   |
+-------------------+--------------------+
| World Processor                        |
| Environmental Laws                     |

The Actor Processor mediates between the user interface (for multiple users)
and the representation and viewpoint of the Actors as objects. It also
allows access to the Object Forms (ie graphics info) to render the
environment from the viewpoint of each actor.

The World Processor mediates between the Laws of the Environment (such as
gravity, Newton's Laws, etc), and the objects they apply to at the
Object layer. This must be done in real time.

Each object is represented by two interrelated notions of Form and Semantics.
An object's form is simply its graphical information (eg position, colour and
radius for a sphere), whereas the semantics holds abstract information
such as mass, velocity, relations to other objects and so forth. These notions
are seperated in the architecture such that the scene renderer needs only
to look at the graphics database, and can safely ignore the information in the
semantics database.

The architecture is very close to that of a 2nd generation knowledge-based
system operating in real time, and I will be searching literature in
Knowledge Representation, Real-time Simulation, Real-time Techniques,
Space-time coherency in Graphics Representations and General Systems Theory.

At the moment, I have been able to find *no literature at all* on VR
from an info. systems point of view, only HCI stuff concentrating on
hardware. Any references gratefully received!

I hope this is of use to others in the VR research community, and I look
forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers for now,
Darren Hague
Darren.Hague@brunel.ac.uk

jay@uunet.UU.NET (Jay Nelson) (03/09/91)

In article <18015@milton.u.washington.edu> Darren.Hague@brunel.ac.uk
(Darren S Hague) writes:

>Just a response to the call for people to say what research they're doing.
>
>I've just started my PhD at Brunel University, where I am looking at
>architectures for VR. I am currently working on a layered architecture:
>
>+----------------------------------------+
>| I/O Servers (Users' headsets & gloves) |
>+----------------------------------------+
>| Actor Processor                        |
>+-------------------+--------------------+
>| Object Forms      | Object Semantics   |
>+-------------------+--------------------+
>| World Processor                        |
>+----------------------------------------+
>| Environmental Laws                     |
>+----------------------------------------+
>
>The Actor Processor mediates between the user interface (for multiple users)
>and the representation and viewpoint of the Actors as objects. It also
>allows access to the Object Forms (ie graphics info) to render the
>environment from the viewpoint of each actor.
>
>The World Processor mediates between the Laws of the Environment (such as
>gravity, Newton's Laws, etc), and the objects they apply to at the
>Object layer. This must be done in real time.

I'm playing around with the ideas of virtual worlds at home on a PC.
I wnat to see if I can build a method for "flying" through raw data
files.  To understand the concepts, however, I started with the
simpler problem of having a fixed room of objects and "flying" around
the room.  The architecture I'm trying right now is a little
different:

   +-----------------------+          +---------------------------+
   | User inputs           |          | Display outputs           |
   +-----------------------+          +---------------------------+
   | Environment I/F       |          | View translation          |
   +-----------------------+          +---------------------------+
   | Virtual pilot I/F     |          | Virtual View              |
   +-----------------------+          +---------------------------+
                 |                        ^
                 |                        |
                 V                        |
           +-------------------------------------+
           |  Virtual Space                      |
           |      - Pilots                       |
           |      - Objects                      |
           +-------------------------------------+

The virtual pilot I/F describes all the positioning, motion, and
point of view information for a pilot, irrespective of the physics
being modeled.  The environment I/F constrains access to pilot
commands to fit the physics of the modeled environment.  The layering
allows the user interface to be replaced (I have only a keyboard now,
but will probably get a mouse later) but requires any new interface to
be constrained by the same physics.

Changes to the virtual pilot are made using an internal clock.  The
internal virtual world consists of pilots and objects.  The virtual
view is the part of the virtual space visible to the virtual pilot.
This space is translated to the display view before it is drawn.
Notice that more than one virtual pilot could exist and they could see
each other if necessary.  I need to have a pilot view from the ceiling
that can track the pilot the user is guiding throught the room, so
that the user doesn't get lost.

My architecture is driven by flexibility in user input devices and
display translation (when flying through raw data I want the user to
define what it will look like).  I'm also currently assuming that
objects don't move since I will be viewing static raw data, although
they could be pilots rather than static objects.

>Each object is represented by two interrelated notions of Form and Semantics.
>An object's form is simply its graphical information (eg position, colour and
>radius for a sphere), whereas the semantics holds abstract information
>such as mass, velocity, relations to other objects and so forth. These notions
>are seperated in the architecture such that the scene renderer needs only
>to look at the graphics database, and can safely ignore the information in the
>semantics database.

I like this idea.  It maintains independence of view and behavior
information.  In my architecture the Semantics would get interpreted
in the virtual space, but the Form would be interpreted in the view
translation.

>I hope this is of use to others in the VR research community, and I look
>forward to hearing from you all.
>
>Cheers for now,
>Darren Hague
>Darren.Hague@brunel.ac.uk

Thanx.  It is useful to compare other approaches.  I would welcome any
comments on the approach I am using.  Most of the articles I've read
here have been more wishful thinking than concrete approaches.

Jay Nelson  (TRW)  jay@wilbur.coyote.trw.com

From news@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU Fri Mar  8 19:12:20 1991
Newsgroups: sci.virtual-worlds
From: mg@munnari.oz.au (Mike Gigante)
Subject: Artists/VR
Date:  8 Mar 91 03:03:59 GMT
Sender: @minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
Apparently-To: sci-virtual-worlds@munnari.OZ.AU

I may send more details later, but note about the German conference
motivated me to mention our interest in VR & Art. (tho' the motivation
for the work is not just Art, it is using artists to push back the
bounds of the technology)

1) VR Sculpture, this project includes an Australian sculptor Robert Owen
(he is also head of sculpture here at RMIT). Robert and I have also put
a VR proposal in for the siggraph '92 "Portal"

2) VR Performance Art, involving the artist STELARC. Stelarc is best known
for his high tech performances that combine electroic instrumentation, a
third hand and video

We also are interested in VR Architectural design.

Mike